You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General genre-bending games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default genre-bending games

What, to you, is a game that successfully blends multiple genres, or what sort of mixture would you like to see in the future? I liked the original Dune combining adventure gaming with strategy. Also, I'm not sure if this exists, but I think a racing/fighting/platforming game would be awesome. I guess Mario Cart sorta does that. But imagine people on futuristic roller blades navigating a an urban parcour type environment, and brutally shoving each other out of the way at the same time. Obviously, this type of game would benefit from a Transformers licence as well.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
I changed my title

I like the combination of Turn Based Strategy and Turn Based RPGs. For example the Fire Emblem games and the Final Fantasy Tactics games.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, although (or maybe because) the strategy elements are pretty minor.

I also like shooter-RPG combinations like Bioshock and Fallout 3. The option to upgrade weapons and abilities is always fun.

As for a new combination idea? Maybe some sort of RPG, life-simulation adventure game? You can choose which puzzles you want to solve and how, and whether to focus on character interaction or not. What you choose to do improves your skills in these areas and determines which ending you'll get.

I think there are some visual novels which do this, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Junior Mint

I thought Quest For Glory mixed adventure gaming and RPG elements very well. Braid and The Lost Vikings are excellent examples of platformer/puzzler hybrids.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and The Witcher are both RPGs that involve a lot of inventory and dialogue puzzles. I don't know that I'd call them RPG/adventure hybrids, but they're not far off. I was playing one of the Witcher add-on adventures last night ("Side Effects", for those who are familiar), and, depending on how you play it, it can involve a ton of monster-fighting/grinding, a lot of inventory puzzles, or both.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #4

I would say Mass Effect, specially ME-2, is already a nice RPG-action mixture. In fact, most of Bioware's RPGs mix a good deal of AG-ish elements (which, I think is great). I also thought Dreamfall is a good AG-action mix (even if the stealth/action part is certainly quite weak). Same goes for Fahrenheit.

In fact, I have been playing these sort of not-quite RGPs and action games for some time now. Imho, it's all about the story, how it's told, and the immersion. A traditional puzzle-based AG does not have to be a better game in these terms.

Of course, these games are exposed to the angry "[Title] is not a true [genre] game!!!" thread. Which is right, of course. But, may be irrelevant

I now recall, I wrote a short article about interesting games a while ago. I have played (and greatly enjoyed) most of them by now.

Last edited by Periglo; 04-20-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: New link
Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, although (or maybe because) the strategy elements are pretty minor.
Hey, so do I! I feel like a little girl dressing up her dolls when I play. It's all imagining how the game should progress, no actual challenge. There should be more games like that.

I like puzzle platformers like Donkey Kong for the Game Boy or Klonoa: Empire of Dreams for the Game Boy Advance. Generally games like that lead to some good head-scratching moments, but even when they're not doing that they're engaging with the platforming bits. It's a weird combination, but it works.