You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General You know what I hate about the gaming industry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Default You know what I hate about the gaming industry?

This.

It's a promo vid for Legacy Games's new game for the DS... MEAN GIRLS. Now I hate the term 'casual' gamer in reference to the type of games people engage in because there's too much crossover and generalising of the complexity of various games yada yada yada but THIS would have to be a HUGE insult to casual gamers.

Who would play or pay for this? Are these titles intended purely for impulse purchase? Why is the artwork so awful? Did they even watch the film or was it pieced together from YouTube clips??? I went on Devaintart and found users who could have done a better job on the art side of the game...

Problem Solved.

Legacy wouldn't even put Lindsay Lohan on the Mean Girls cover... (The actual game itself is just Bejeweled, having nothing to do with the original movie adding to the baffling nature of these titles.)

Sorry guys, I just had to vent that - these games can't be good for anyone, especially Legacy, and we need to bring more attention to them Scarlet Letter style.

Mind you, if you want a game cheaper than any Legacy title and more satisfying... THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

covers are pretty hot tho
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
merely human

WTF. All that pink hurts my eyes.

Even if I were straight I'd NEVER date girls like those. They're outright repulsive.

Oh, and I agree. The game looks like Bejeweled with a mall makeover.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Such a crappy game influences your outlook on a game industry? Just one game? Have you not seen all the other games that have existed over the decades?

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Junior Mint

Amanda Seyfried + Rachel McAdams = I'd pay $19.99 just for a copy of the cover.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Such a crappy game influences your outlook on a game industry? Just one game? Have you not seen all the other games that have existed over the decades?
Well, I have. My copy of Splinter Cell: Conviction arrives tomorrow.

I wanna f#%& Sam Fisher real bad. And he doesn't need to wear a pink outfit for it, either.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Oh, this is just one example to highlight the problem with a lot of third party developers - absolutely. You have the indie scene producing quality titles that could go for retail price... Look at this game that's going to be available on WiiWare. It looks incredible - how is Mean Girls getting a release into the stores over that game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Amanda Seyfried + Rachel McAdams = I'd pay $19.99 just for a copy of the cover.
lol. You can buy the movie for that. It was a surprisingly very well done film.

Last edited by thejobloshow; 04-13-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

The cover doesn't do Rachel McAdams justice, imo.

Also, the game is definite shite.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I wanna f#%& Sam Fisher real bad. And he doesn't need to wear a pink outfit for it, either.
I don't know which is a more disturbing image: Sam Fisher in a pink outfit, or Michael Ironside in a pink outfit.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Shovelware doesn't bother me the slightest. If anything, I can get a good laugh out of how bad those games are. So it's a bejeweled clone? Maybe the people who will buy these are bejeweled fans, or the kind play mafia wars or those vampire bite games and don't expect the same level of quality or originality we usually expect of our games. This isn't marketed to me so: meh
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Oh, this is just one example to highlight the problem with a lot of third party developers - absolutely. You have the indie scene producing quality titles that could go for retail price... Look at this game that's going to be available on WiiWare. It looks incredible - how is Mean Girls getting a release into the stores over that game?
Easy. They have more money to back them, where as Indies don't. Not to mention, Indie games don't need to be released in stores anymore. They get enough attention if not more so through digital distribution on the Wii, XNA, or Steam.

Quote:
Well, I have. My copy of Splinter Cell: Conviction arrives tomorrow.

Oh please, don't tease me with such imagery! Sam is mine!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
I don't know which is a more disturbing image: Sam Fisher in a pink outfit, or Michael Ironside in a pink outfit.
Why do you think I stated that he DOESN'T need to wear it?

Quote:
Oh please, don't tease me with such imagery! Sam is mine!
Too late. Get in line.

*lovingly fondles his just arrived copy of SC:C*

...and I still hadn't slooooowwwwly unwrapped it yet.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Why do you think I stated that he DOESN'T need to wear it?

Too late. Get in line.

*lovingly fondles his just arrived copy of SC:C*

...and I still hadn't slooooowwwwly unwrapped it yet.
You are like so mean! Fine, I'll find a real sam look-alike. TAKE THAT! *snaps fingers*

Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
Freeware Co-ordinator

Can we take the ongoing fantasies to either PM or Chit-Chat please. That isn't what this threads about.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
delusions of adequacy

The DS is probably second only to the iPhone for shovelware. The difference is, DS shovelware sells. The majority of people who buy games for the DS are mums and dad's or cashed up young children.

If you see a 15+ year old playing on a DS, at a guess I'd say 80% of them (more even?) are using a flash card. If/When they ever actually buy a game for the DS, its based on an informed decision. Most harassed and harangued mums and dad's don't buy their kids a DS game based on an informed decision. They buy it because their kid impulse wants it, shares an interest with/in the cover art and because they feel "safe" buying a DS title (unless its a game about talking babies that promote Islam, then its a crime against nature to be sold in America).

Shovelware sells on the DS (and to a slightly lesser extent, on the iPhone). Such titles are not really an example of the degrading industry, they're an example of the pitfalls of a dominant platform with a high number of uninformed users. When you can spend a pittance on game design and make roughly the same returns as a fully invested AAA title, why the hell wouldn't you do that?

Many big publishers/developers (Ubisoft I'm lookin' at you) have in house or purchased shit hole off shoot studios that pump out such garbage. The revenue from which is invested into the production of more quality titles. The existence of this kind of drek is a win for game snobs too...