You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Death JR and the PSP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
guybrush_guy

Default Death JR and the PSP

hey guys,

i just got done watching a really cool movie for the PSP, it's the first footage ever for the PSP. the games graphics look really cool. it's about a mini grim reaper.
you guys should head over there and take a look.
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/d...jr_pspgdc1.asx
you might have to sign up for a basic account, but that only takes 2 seconds.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #2
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Death Junior? Is that some kind of light-version of Grim Fandango?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 03-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
n00b on board

Looks horribel!!!

Old 03-27-2004, 01:48 PM   #4

I hope you can see past the fact that the game looks pretty weak, as this is mostly to show what the PSP can be capable of. I really look forward to the RPGs that the PSP is bound to get, especially interested to see what SquareEnix decides to make for it.

And of course, we are bound to either see a port of a Gran Turismo game, or a totally new Gran Turismo game for the PSP. After all, it's Sonys biggest game, and one of the biggest reason for people to get a Sony console, be it PSP, PS1, 2 or 3.

Looks like it's up to Sony again to make the handheld console market explode. And finally a handheld with decent specs.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I hope you can see past the fact that the game looks pretty weak, as this is mostly to show what the PSP can be capable of. I really look forward to the RPGs that the PSP is bound to get, especially interested to see what SquareEnix decides to make for it.

And of course, we are bound to either see a port of a Gran Turismo game, or a totally new Gran Turismo game for the PSP. After all, it's Sonys biggest game, and one of the biggest reason for people to get a Sony console, be it PSP, PS1, 2 or 3.

Looks like it's up to Sony again to make the handheld console market explode. And finally a handheld with decent specs.

exactly, i think the game look kinda interesting. i wonder how mutch the PSP is going to cost

Old 03-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #6

I heard that it will be around 300 in US dollars.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:49 AM   #7

Yeah, the price of the actual PSP is going to be pretty high, but then the games and software is supposed to cost less than half of the GBA titles, so that more than makes up for it I think. There's no reason for a console to be cheap when you have to pay big bucks to get a few games for it. I'd rather have cheap software and expensive hardware.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:54 AM   #8
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

So the games are going to be less than £15/$20 each? (GBA titles are generally £30/$40) That seems completely unlikely. And let's not forget that Nintendo will be releasing something other than the DS to compete with the PSP. Or that when it comes to handhelds, specs are certainly not everything - as Sega demonstrated with the battery-guzzling Game Gear. Or that Sony totally don't have Wario Ware, or a billion other games in their back catalogue.

I think the PSP and the new GB are going to be worlds apart. It looks like Sony will release an all singing, all dancing, mp3 playing PDA-type device that also runs games, whereas Nintendo will opt for the "strictly games" handheld.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #9

The last few years, Sony has shown to be the better company to gain support for their products. Nintendo has lost the ability to survive the market for sure. Gamecube was also supposed to be the "pure" games console that they'll be aiming for with everything else they make. They're obviously blind when they can't see that this tactic doesn't work. People want more. I WANT a handheld that can do anything. What's the use of a handheld when you have to have 3 or more different types, for instance one to play music on, one to play games on and a mobile phone. That removes the purpose of having a handheld.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
Kiss My Face

Nintendo's marketing skills may be a bit off, and they're control freaks when it comes to third party software, but that certainly doesn't mean "they've lost the ability to survive". They're not going anywhere, they're still a profitable company, especially when it comes to the Game Boy. The handheld sector has pretty much been their turf for around 15 years too, and the GB has built up a huge catalogue of games. "Game Boy" is synonomous with handheld consoles, and if Sony were attempting to compete directly with Nintendo in this case, then they'd have to pull something pretty amazing out of their hats.

Oh, and If you want a handheld that does everything, why not try the N-gage? That plays music, games and allows you to talk on the taco phone. It's also quite reasonably priced for what it does. The problem is, it does all three rather badly. My point is, if Sony are going to make a games machine that also works as a phone and plays music files, they'll have to do it well. To do it well, they'll have to charge a lot of money - which pretty much eliminates children from their target market, who are pretty much the "key" demographic in terms of handheld users. Sony are atrying to open up a completely different segment of the market, the "commuting adult gamer" - I mean, the PSP will clearly be a much more grown-up toy.

As such, the PSP and the GBX are going to be two very different beasts which will almost certainly be able to co-exist.

And who says the "pure games" strategy doesn't work? That's all I want my games machine to do, play bloody games. The PS2 incorporating a DVD player was a smart move, but nowadays much better DVD players are in nearly every household, so that's a little redundant. In the same way, most of us have phones and a lot of us have mp3 players, both of which will probably be better than anything Sony offers up.

Of course, the PS3 will sell trillions, but that will be due to backwards compatibility and plenty of hype, rather than "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" included. I'm skeptical about the PSP though, even though it's the almighty Sony that's selling it.

It'll be interesting to see how Sony stop the CDs/DVDs getting scratched to oblivion when the device is dropped - carrying CDs around in a walkman can scratch the hell out of them if you're not careful. If the PSP has some sort of hard-drive or memory-stick system for mp3s and what-not, I wonder how long until that's hacked and some sort of emulator is developed.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb
Nintendo's marketing skills may be a bit off, and they're control freaks when it comes to third party .................not, I wonder how long until that's hacked and some sort of emulator is developed.
I have read the wohle post, and I have nohting to comment on
Old 03-30-2004, 08:11 AM   #12
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb
(GBA titles are generally £30/$40)
What planet do you live on?? Brand new GBA games usually are $20-30. I would never pay $40 for a game boy game. Anyways....I think sony is shooting themselves in the foot if they are going to charge $300 for the PSP. Even if the games are cheap it doesn't matter, people aren't going to see that fact. They'd probably rather buy a ps2 for a whole lot cheaper.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
Kiss My Face

I was being conservative with my estimates. The claim was "the [PSP] games and software is supposed to cost less than half of the GBA titles" - my point was that the games are totally not going to be sold for $20, let alone $10-15. ;-