You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Splinter Cell: Conviction - all things thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
merely human

Default Splinter Cell: Conviction - all things thread

"I'll just hang around til these douches get bored and leave."

Ubisoft confirms demo for Splinter Cell: Conviction
| Joystiq

Quote:
In a video answering fan questions, Splinter Cell Conviction Creative Director Maxime Béland revealed the existence of a demo for the highly anticipated sneaking-guy game. "Yes, there will be one. I can't tell you what map or when it's going to be released yet. My lips are sealed." Warning us in advance of the demo's release date would run counter to the whole 'stealth' theme, we suppose.

We first heard of a demo for Conviction from an Ubi employee known only as " Adam," and before that had only a guess that there would be one based on the common-sense fact that it's a really popular game. Splinter Cell: Conviction is currently due for release April 13.
And as well, another video that allows me to see and hear the gorgeously cute Maxime Béland. Gawd, he's adorable!!!!

Oh, and this thread should be for all discussion on SC: Conviction!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
The Quiet One

Oh good a demo. I was wondering if they were gonna release one. Or was that Alan Wake?

Either way...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
merely human

My memory may be a bit shoddy, but iirc no demo for Alan Wake is forthcoming.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
The Quiet One

Darn.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Junior Mint

I have Splinter Cell 1, and I still have not played it, despite the fact that I love stealth games. I need to get my ass in gear.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #6

I'm going to buy this game immediately when it comes out! I am a total Splinter Cell fan, and have been one since I bought the first game in 2003. Because of that, I'm not even going to play the demo!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
merely human

Playing the demo right now. So far the interface and controls are smooth and elegant, a bit different from the previous titles (though each one has always been different from the other) but the fluidity is essentially intact.

The "mark and execute" feature is so badass to watch. You earn targets for it through hand-to-hand stealth kills, which are varied in animations. This iteration of the Splinter Cell game deviates from the others in that killing targets is not penalized in anyway (basing it on the demo) and it's natural in the story this time around (rogue, vengeful Sam).

The graphics are superb as always, and on a larger HDTV screen (I played the first SC on PC, subsequent ones on analog TV) it lends a cinematic edge. The in-game environmentally presented directives are kinda cool but they're a bit too pronounced; I'd turn down the distracting whiteness of the text if I could.

The demo doesn't really spoil anything much. The emphasis is on the gameplay, so it won't hurt to play it.

Overall it just feels very modern and sleek.........and yes, sexy. But then I have a very personal vested interest in Sam Fisher.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #8
The Quiet One

I forgot the demo was released (yesterday?). I'll check it out later today.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #9
Citizen of Bizarro World

Sons o'bitches aren't doing a PC demo.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
Sons o'bitches aren't doing a PC demo.
Ubisoft are really trying hard to win our hearts and minds eh...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Ubisoft are really trying hard to win our hearts and minds eh...
I assume they're still salty at us because "we" pirated their Prince of Persia game that they neglected to put any protective controls on whatsoever.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Citizen of Bizarro World

That shit gets pirated even when they try to protect it, I don't get it? ...Oh, do they think piracy is done for the challenge of it?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
That shit gets pirated even when they try to protect it, I don't get it? ...Oh, do they think piracy is done for the challenge of it?
Actually, it is. The tougher the copy protection is to crack, the more prestige it brings the hacker that actually does it.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Citizen of Bizarro World

Ok sure, initially the hack is done for shits and giggles, but everyone who subsequently gets the cracked game does it because it's free, not as some sort of kudos to the hacker. So an unprotected game would logically be downloaded as much as any other, except no one gets glory from it.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
merely human

More stealth for your buck!

If you pre-order at Amazon you can get the regular edition of the game for $46.99! It's already discounted at $51 and the code below knocks the price down more. (the code also works for the PC version)

SPLINTER

I had to cancel my pre-order, re-order, and use the code.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
The Quiet One

And, for people in the UK (not sure about anywhere else), pre-order on the Wednesday, before 12pm from ShopTo.net, and you can get either a Splinter Cell: Conviction t-shirt or a long sleeve shirt. Of course, the snag is is I don't think you can choose your size. I know I couldn't when I got my Batman: Arkham Asylum shirt.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
merely human

This is one damn sexy game.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I don't think you can choose your size. I know I couldn't when I got my Batman: Arkham Asylum shirt.
LOL! What a shame. They should let you choose it.

I'm not into splinter cell games (I've played the first one and the Double Agent) but that one looks awesome. Since my internet is really slow for downloading the demo, I'll give it a rent.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
merely human

Isn't that standard practice for including t-shirts with games? I doubt they'd take the time, money, and effort to do "custom orders" for free stuff. They're better off giving you sew-on patches and plastic figurines.

However I wouldn't mind a very nice free Italian silk chiffon scarf printed with little EMP grenades and sticky cams included with my CE copy of SC:C. I need something chic to wrap around my pretty, bald, shaved head while prowling in the dark with Sam.

Oh, and I'm having a most awesome time in the game. Compared to previous SC titles this one is particularly violent (not that I like it any more for that) and gritty, as befits a very, VERY pissed off Sam.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
LOL! What a shame. They should let you choose it.
They should. Thankfully, my long-sleeved t-shirt is a Large and fits nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Oh, and I'm having a most awesome time in the game. Compared to previous SC titles this one is particularly violent (not that I like it any more for that) and gritty, as befits a very, VERY pissed off Sam.
As much as I'm looking forward to this action-packed Splinter Cell game (it's sitting on my desk taunting me), I'm a bit disappointed that it's gone down the more 'action' and 'violent' route. I like the others with their slow pace and focus on stealth rather than combat.

EDIT: Great. Well, it looks like I won't be playing Conviction anytime soon. I've not touched my console for just under a week, I turn the console on, watch a few videos, come to play the game... and I get the bloody Red Ring of Death!! Again!! I've lost count on how many times I've had to send the bastard console for a repair.

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 04-15-2010 at 11:46 AM.