You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Splinter Cell: Conviction - all things thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
EDIT: Great. Well, it looks like I won't be playing Conviction anytime soon. I've not touched my console for just under a week, I turn the console on, watch a few videos, come to play the game... and I get the bloody Red Ring of Death!! Again!! I've lost count on how many times I've had to send the bastard console for a repair.
That sucks, dude. Does it still under warranty? I have this cold feeling in the stomach every time I turn on my xbox. Probably I'm the luckiest guy on earth because I bought it on november 2006 and still no red lights of death. At least not yet...

By the way, this link might be useful:

How to treat your 360

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
The Quiet One

Nope, I'm afraid it's no longer under warranty. So it looks like I'll be paying for it yet again.

Quote:
Probably I'm the luckiest guy on earth because I bought it on november 2006 and still no red lights of death.
Your very lucky there. I, however, am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I bought mine back in 2006-07 and it was faulty with the Red Ring of Death as soon as I booted it up. I think it's been for a repair about 4-5 times now.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #23
merely human

I'm really sorry about that, Gazz.

You might want to speak with a live Micrcosoft rep by phone and tell her it's the fifth time it's happened to you and you're really sick and tired of it. Who knows, you may a get voucher towards an Elite model or something. But at least you'll have been heard.

My current 360 is my third. The first one RRODed on me so I shipped it back and MS replaced it. I then gave that one to my niece and bought a brand new one at Best Buy. So far so good. I did shell out extra for a store warranty so that if I get shafted I can trade it in or get voucher for the original price and just upgrade to the black Elite.

Unfortunately the one I gave my niece crapped out on her too. I suggested she just get a cheap Arcade model and stick her HDD onto it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #24

This iteration of Spinter Cell is the most statisfying in terms of gameplay and execution (pun intended ). The "mark and execute" is sooo damn fun to do when done correctly especially when in just one instant, you've cleared a room of 5 baddies. In this particular instance, I had to perform a melee attack first in order to "activate" the "mark and execute" mode.

I've unfortunately just finished it and much to my chagrin, this game is incredibly short. I want more. Next up is the Co-op campaign to be played with my brother.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #25
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedicri View Post
This iteration of Spinter Cell is the most statisfying in terms of gameplay and execution (pun intended ). The "mark and execute" is sooo damn fun to do when done correctly especially when in just one instant, you've cleared a room of 5 baddies. In this particular instance, I had to perform a melee attack first in order to "activate" the "mark and execute" mode.
It's very satisfying and strategic but at the same time challenging. Almost like a puzzle you have to figure out first. In a room with five enemies moving around it's a matter of first singling out one to melee attack, then selecting the other four to eliminate instantly after. So you need to position yourself tactically. It could easily fail if you mistime it and melee the first target (which activates mark and execute) only to find that two or three of the other targets are out of range for Sam to shoot down. EEP!!!

Quote:
I've unfortunately just finished it and much to my chagrin, this game is incredibly short. I want more. Next up is the Co-op campaign to be played with my brother.
Yeah, only around 10 hours. That's when the co-op and multiplayer pick up the slack. I would like to do that but I've never co-oped with anyone before in a tactical stealth based game and I'm kind of nervous.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
It's very satisfying and strategic but at the same time challenging. Almost like a puzzle you have to figure out first. In a room with five enemies moving around it's a matter of first singling out one to melee attack, then selecting the other four to eliminate instantly after. So you need to position yourself tactically. It could easily fail if you mistime it and melee the first target (which activates mark and execute) only to find that two or three of the other targets are out of range for Sam to shoot down. EEP!!!
That exactly what was going through my mind as I strategically set myself behind the guy I was to melee --- take him out fast before the other four marks move out of range.

Quote:
Yeah, only around 10 hours. That's when the co-op and multiplayer pick up the slack. I would like to do that but I've never co-oped with anyone before in a tactical stealth based game and I'm kind of nervous.
I've just finished the first mission on Co-op and it was fun co-ordinating my efforts with my brother --- co-operation and communication was key. This reminded me a alot of the opening scene in the movie Golden Eye where you have 006 and 007 doing a mission together. Great fun!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedicri View Post
That exactly what was going through my mind as I strategically set myself behind the guy I was to melee --- take him out fast before the other four marks move out of range.
You can, of course, tip the chances in your favour by first throwing a flash grenade, then doing the melee. The flash prevents the other four marks from moving away and buys you precious time. Or if a couple of them are still two far away, plan a stealth escape, use the flash, take out whatever targets you can, then vanish and wait for the out of range targets to investigate the bodies and strike again.

I've also found the LKP (last known position) great for luring targets away from where you want to go. Just a hint of your location is enough and then you dash off to a new hiding spot with a view to a kill.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #28
The Quiet One

Quote:
I'm really sorry about that, Gazz.
Thanks.

Quote:
You might want to speak with a live Micrcosoft rep by phone and tell her it's the fifth time it's happened to you and you're really sick and tired of it. Who knows, you may a get voucher towards an Elite model or something. But at least you'll have been heard.
Sadly, I read your message AFTER I made the call for the repair. And because I wanted to just get the call out of the way, I didn't really think about complaining. That, and I'd only just got up.

I'll have to bear your suggestion in mind for next time, which will inevitably happen again, I'm sure.

Anyway, just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, the rep told me my warranty had finished... today! Right on the day I make the call. How typical is that? And that they'd charge me more than they have before. I thought my warranty had already finished. Either way, when she told me, I wasn't the least bit surprised. I just know how typical my luck usually is.

But, thankfully (and unpredictably), at the end of the call, she told me I wouldn't need to pay. She saw an 'option' appear on her screen or something. It may be wishful thinking, but she may have decided to be generous and let me off, despite it being the last day of my warranty. I'm really thankful for that, but what I'm confused and disappointed about, is that my new 'extended' warranty is only for 90 days. I could've sworn it was 6-12 months last time. I can guarantee it'll pack up again, but not within 90 days. I swear they set up the warranty, and the replacements/repairs, in such a way so that they expire around the time of a new repair.

*sigh* Well... at least I can focus on getting Chaos Theory finished first, and making a start on the new Sam & Max series, whilst I'm waiting.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #29
merely human

I took a break from this for several days as my best friend/niece came down to visit. I left off at the Lincoln Memorial in D.C.

I like that Conviction offers variations on gameplay that's different from previous Splinter Cell titles. This time there are dramatic moments that involve daytime chase sequences with required non-lethal force in populated areas. It adds texture and a certain freshness to the suspense.

SC: Double Agent also featured daytime levels but not like this.

Quote:
*sigh* Well... at least I can focus on getting Chaos Theory finished first...
That was a great game. Sadly I didn't finish it, but almost got near the end. Got stuck. Then I got distracted by other games and hadn't gone back.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #30
The Quiet One

Quote:
That was a great game. Sadly I didn't finish it, but almost got near the end. Got stuck. Then I got distracted by other games and hadn't gone back.
It is a great game. I've been really enjoying it. I'd say it's my second favourite after the first one. There seems to be more humour present in Chaos Theory as well. The comments between Sam, Lambert, Grimsdottir and the interrogation of Sam's opponents have made me chuckle quite a few times.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #31
The Quiet One

Got my console back. Well, I should say I've got a console back as they replaced mine with a new one. Which is nice. So I just started the game yesterday and will be continuing later today.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #32

I am about 75% the way through this at the moment after getting it yestarday. it is a bit short as i am already so far, but it has been a brilliant action packed ride so far, with awsome varied levels. the interogation part is a paticualr highlight, man, smashing those peoples heads through destructable scenery is awsome the best splinter cell game i have played so far
Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #33
Random

Quote:
Got my console back. Well, I should say I've got a console back as they replaced mine with a new one. Which is nice. So I just started the game yesterday and will be continuing later today.
That's great news dude. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
I am about 75% the way through this at the moment after getting it yestarday. it is a bit short as i am already so far, but it has been a brilliant action packed ride so far, with awsome varied levels. the interogation part is a paticualr highlight, man, smashing those peoples heads through destructable scenery is awsome the best splinter cell game i have played so far
Totally agree. Awesome game indeed, despite some bugs like executing enemies through obstacles and remaining unnoticed even when you're next to your opponent . I rented my copy yesterday, I've stoped at the part when
Spoiler:
Fisher explodes the third echelon building
. Am I getting close to the end? I've played it for several hours and just stoped because my eyes were burning.

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 05-02-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
So then, once you're done you're going to play it all over again....with perfect stealth*, right? Right?!!

*perfect stealth = zero detection, zero kills (except when the story requires you to kill)
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
That's great news dude. Congrats!

Totally agree. Awesome game indeed, despite some bugs like executing enemies through obstacles and remaining unnoticed even when you're next to your opponent . I rented my copy yesterday, I've stoped at the part when
Spoiler:
Fisher explodes the third echelon building
. Am I getting close to the end? I've played it for several hours and just stoped because my eyes were burning.

heh pretty close, a little ways to go yet but not too much....or is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So then, once you're done you're going to play it all over again....with perfect stealth*, right? Right?!!
Oh yeah, at some stage, i played with the normal setting & after completing it yestarday i restarted with the Realistic setting. i did the first tutorial bit, and it was a breeze taking them down & beating up the end boss

but i have switched to playing Assasins creed 2 now as i have a backlog of games to play.....after AC2 then maybe Mass Effect 2.....then SC:C again
Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #36
Random

I've just finished the main story. Is there different endings?

I really enjoyed the game. Unfortunately, I have to give it back tomorrow. I would love to restart it on realistic mode. But that's ok, I'll probably buy it after a good price drop.

Which part of the game is your favorite dudes? I really like the part
Spoiler:
after those pulse explosions, when you walk on the street with lots of wounded and panicked civilians. I felt so sorry for the guy who had his wife carbonized because of the car explosion . Those messed up streets remind me the beginning of Resident Evil 2.

Last edited by Denaron; 05-03-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #37

yeah i like that part too, the game feels far more modern, a bit like the Hitman47 series where you mingle with the NPC's. but for me, i am torn between two parts.....................

Spoiler:
The fairground or the Lincoln memorial

of those possibey the latter but its a close call, highly enjoyable.