You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Deadly Premonition...wow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #1

Default Deadly Premonition...wow

wow...oh my gosh...this has the most misleading cover art I have ever seen for a game in a while. The game box looks like a straight up survival horror game But Im glad i still purchased this for only 19.99 because it is the most awesomely bad game i have ever played. I know the makers most be pretty self-aware of the kinda game they made but this has some of the most cheesily bad/hilarious dialogue i have heard in a game in a while. I mean the main character has an imaginery friend he talks to continuously which includes quizing himself with pop culture facts like who scored the soundtrack to superman 4. You have a wheelchair riddled mysterious capitalist who has his assistent talk for him in riddles that rhyme. Then you have a pot lad who keeps saying her pots are getting too cold.

All I can say is the game is a mixture of shenmue/twin peaks/resident Evil/Silent Hill/ and a little GTA. Outside environments look straight up like ps2 graphics so visually the game is pretty bad. The combat (which probably only makes up about 25% of the game) is passable and pretty much plays like resident evil 4. But their is something about the story and character interaction that I just cant get enough of. I've only played it for about 5 hours and i've come to the conclusion that this is one entertaining ambitious mess of a game. The only part of the game that really drove me crazy was the real time driving segments where you literally will be driving for 5-10 minutes to get to a couple areas in the game(the open world is massive).

One aspect of the game that i thought was done well is that every one in the game and all the potential murder suspects go about their lives in an unscripted way where you'll see them wake up/go to work/go to the diner/go the bar then go home to bed. The game is very much like shenmue in all the cheesy/tedious things your character has to do ie shave/ change wash clothes/ eat food/ go fishing/ and sleep.

But the mystery aspect of the game where you have to interrogate suspects/ find clues/ solve puzzles plays out kinda like an adventure game.

So for only 20 bucks i feel that if you can appreciate the games dark humor and actually "get" what the game is going for (which correlates a lot to the fact if you enjoyed the show Twin Peaks, i mean the plot of an FBI agent going to a small local town full of quirky characters to investigate the murder of a teen girl is pretty much identical) you will like this game on some level. I mean the pacing in this title is ridiculous i mean for 1 hour you will be fighting zombies and then the next two hours you'll be just walking around talking to potential suspects. If you are expecting a triple AAA title type gameplay and visuals you will probably think this is the worst game ever. But when you combine all the bad/cheesy elements together i feel this is a pretty unique experience.
i would give it a 4/5 for just entertainment purposes and for the budget price.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Headbanger

I've seen some trailers of this game, looks interesting. Is it released yet? Can't find it in any stores, is it available in Europe yet or is it on Xbox-live or something?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #3

yeah it came out like 2 weeks ago here in the US for only the xbox 360 but in japan where it is called red seed profile it is out on the xbox 360 and ps3.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
handsome

It's one of those it's so bad its good games from what i've seen. IGN gave it a 2 out of 10 but most of their readers seemed to love it.

Sadly it's just for consoles
Old 03-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
kamikaze hummingbirds

Most reviews seem to be quite good, and I am admittedly intrigued (in a good way) by the premise of it...
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #6

This is just one game that i think you just have to experience first hand to see if you would appreciate it. I watched 1 gameplay video before getting it and it almost made me not want to play this game. trust me....as soon as i started to play this game for over an hour and half i was hooked. The game does give a bad first impression though because the first hour seems like the game is going to be a bad resident evil rip-off game but once you actually get into the town the game changes. I mean there are over 30 side missions and none of them are action oriented. side missions involve helping one of the characters to become a better cook or to get a part time job at the grocery store. I understand why ign gave it a low score and a lot of people who are used to only playing AAA titles will hate this game because the grapics and gun mechanics are not the best. I assume most of the people on this site are used to adventure type games and are used to lower budget games and I feel people here will be able to better appreciate this game than the average gamer. The game definetly has its weaknesses but the overall package is a pretty unique experience and all of its little quirks eventually grow on you. trust me on this....you have to experience this game first hand to fully make your opinion on it instead of relying on the reviews even though sites like destructoid gave it a 10 out of 10. Its one of the more entertaining games i have played in a while and even though the game is pretty hilarious (just watch this scene at the bottom) there are still some serious and sad moments in the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZSx...layer_embedded

Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I asked the publishers of this for a review copy a few weeks before it came out and they didn't even respond to my e-mail, it seems like they were trying to hide it because it was so cheap and they knew most people would simply be left baffled by it. I wish they would've sent me a copy though, this really seems like a game I'd love. The campy story and dialogue combined with a bizarre mix of supernatural mystery and mundane activities seems so unique, I'd much rather play some weird experiment like this than yet another sequel.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBandits123 View Post
v=ZgZSxoUsaCc&feature=player_embedded[/url]
Ahah even funnier with the guy laughing in the background i so want this game now

btw... Norman Osborn ?
Name:  osborn.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  5.6 KB
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
A Slice of Fried Gold

I finally got around to playing this and it's just as bizarrely amazing as I hoped it would be. The actual combat sequences are kind of dull but all of the investigation stuff in between is really unique and a lot of fun to play through. The murder mystery plot is surprisingly competent, and honestly, kind of addictive. It's hard to stop playing when you've just met a new suspect or have witnessed yet another surprising revelation. The cutscenes are another thing entirely and really need to be witnessed first hand to be fully appreciated. They're hilarious - even intentionally sometimes - but they can also be surprisingly effective during the more serious scenes. Nearly everything about this game is cheesy beyond belief yet it still somehow works as both a hilariously bad b-movie homage and an involving murder mystery.

I also have to make special mention of the music, which is absolutely perfect. There's only about 4 songs they play throughout and none of them ever match the scene they're trying to score, and are usually played so loud that you can't hear the dialogue. There's this one serious song they keep playing throughout that has the worse use of saxophone ever, and I can't help but laugh whenever I hear the familiar squelch of that horn pop up during another tense moment.

The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #10

Yeah the music is pretty hilarious like when their is a serious scene and then all of a sudden you got kazoos blasting over the dialogue.
This game and Alan wake seem to have a little bit in common where they are both inspired by Twin Peaks and have an open type world with quirky characters. The gameplay both are split up between adventure/detective work during the day and nightmare/dream sequences for the combat. And they both open with a car accident and being chased by a guy with an axe.
Even though I will assume Deadly Premonition is cheesier, i cant tell if there are any real time elements left in Alan Wake or if they dropped that idea in development so DP might have something over Alan.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
A Slice of Fried Gold

I think Alan Wake actually cut out all of the open world detective stuff, it's a much more streamlined game and I think Deadly Premonition might actually have an edge over it in that department. It's weird how similar they are; they're both set up like TV shows, being divided into episodes, and both are clearly trying to be Twin Peaks. I think Deadly Premonition might actually do a better job of emulating it though, because it has a sense of humour like the show did and from what I've seen of Alan Wake, it seems like it's dead serious. I'm sure Alan Wake will be the better game - it's been in development for 15 years and has had millions of dollars put into it - but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I end up liking DP more than it, it has a quirky and unique charm that I find a little more interesting than Alan Wake's somber attempts at a psychological thriller.

The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #12

Yeah i still believe Alan Wake will be the "better" game but not sure if it is going to be as fun. I have read though that Alan Wake will have a good amount of humor in it. In the article they only talk about the quirky humor but I have yet to see any gamplay footage or anything of this sort with my eyes. I guess will just have to wait.
here:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/...ks-video-game/

They were originally marketing this game as a twin peaks style game but the closer and closer to the games release they gone more and more towards a survival horror direction.