You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Is the art of Team based games dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Default Is the art of Team based games dead?

Hey, so being 21 and looking back on my life (playing video games wise)

I remember the days of tribes and tribes 2 or battlefield 1942. The kinds of games that never had personal achievements and played up the concept of help your fellow team mates and player killing was generally discouraged.. Work together to drive the enemy back.

I'm just wondering has this been lost? I find more and more games that emphasize achievements creating a sense of its all about me not we anymore. I miss the days where I could join a server and actually have people work together to attack the enemy base(tribes 2 katabatic servers, and even Unreal Tournament)

Perhaps this is because a lot of the players now are rasied on games that come with several achievements and unlocks that are personal to them or thier account and generally have a less emphasis on sharing resources, it seems like its more about points than a good experience
(I dont really play anymore as im almost through my 4 year university career and basically stopped playing video games in summer of grade 10)

So what are your thoughts?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

No, it has not been lost, not in my opinion. There have always been easter eggs in games and these can be thought of as unofficial achievements (or trophies).

There has also always been single player games which you play by yourself, for yourself.

As far as I am concerned there are still many team based online games you can play. In fact, some games have modes which can *only* be completed in a team online. Actually I think that is more common now than ten or five years ago.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

Ugghh god, I miss Tribes 2 like crazy. I installed the free version a couple months ago (since I long ago lost my copy) and it is pure crap now. Everybody just killing for themselves and very little teamwork, plus only like one server that has 30+ people on it.

I remember the days where there were 10 or more servers with 50+ people, and clans! (I was on Clan-IGN for a long time) We had practices and discussed strategy on loading Heavy Transports with varied layouts for everyone, and timing bombing raids! Dam it was a blast!

Now you have TF2 which is ok, but doesn't really capture the strategy I'm looking for. I hope we see another Tribes type game soon....
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #4

I'm hearing good things about MAG for the PS3, provided you find a group of people to play with.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

I miss tribes 2 as well. I wasnt involved in a clan but i played enough to have several several good games of CTF and loved the bombing raids... It was great I could log on and just find a nice server with people of all diffrent skillsets. Rarely was i dissapointed at that time. I got tribes vengence when it came out but it really didnt capture the same feel as tribes 2.

I do own a PS3 so maybe MAG will bring me some team based fun. I also have TF2 but I find now that they are adding more acheivements and "oh look you can unlock this gun because you've played for 40 hrs or killed 40 people" it just becomes unbalanced.

I find the enjoyable ones were the games where you could jump in for 2 to 3 hrs and then move on with your life lol