Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Deus Ex: Human Revolution (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/26462-deus-ex-human-revolution.html)

Intrepid Homoludens 03-12-2010 01:10 AM

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

http://www.deusexnews.com/ima/deusex3.jpg

Deus Ex: Revolution Teaser Trailer (latest) | IGN.com

First Teaser Trailer | IGN.com (released 11/28/07)

"Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...."

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
Deus Ex 3 was announced well before Thief 4, but we still don't know much of anything about the Eidos Montreal project. That could change though, with the game possibly gaining a new name.

Siliconera is reporting that Square Enix has trademarked the name Deus Ex: Human Revolution in Europe. While it could potentially be a brand new game in the series, it's more likely to be the official title for the above-mentioned prequel.

Does that mean that Square Enix is finally about to take the wraps off the game that was first announced way back in 2007? We hope so, but Warren Spector's lack of involvement has us skeptical of how it will all turn out.

Still, if L.A. Noire can finally get an official reveal, then so can Deux Ex 3. Hopefully it'll be soon.

- http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177874

A French gaming blog shows several screenshots and concept art for the upcoming game. Warren Spector is not involved in the project.

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/wp-.../deus-ex-3.jpg

http://img2.generation-nt.com/deus-e...k_00286831.jpg

Periglo 03-12-2010 01:53 AM

I actually missed Deus Ex 2, Invisible War. Is it worth it?

Deus Ex was quite good, imho. The gameplay felt like a precursor to Mass Effect, to some degree. The story wasn't nearly as good, though.

Gledster 03-12-2010 03:25 AM

Deus Ex 2 is ok, not amazing but an enjoyable romp in the future just the same.

Looking foward to Deus Ex 3 - I love the intrigue and the different groups the creators put in the Deus Ex world. Great stuff.

[toj.cc]Phantom 03-12-2010 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Periglo (Post 541874)

Deus Ex was quite good, imho. The gameplay felt like a precursor to Mass Effect, to some degree. The story wasn't nearly as good, though.

Blasphemer!

Niko 03-12-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

first off, Deus Ex is brilliant! not just quite good :P

Deus Ex was purely a PC game, and had a brilliant niche look and feel to it, combined with the RPG side. tweaking your characters skills, and the moral decisions you have to make that effect the story in different ways. and the choices of approaching objectives.

DE:Invisble War was aimed at the PC but also the console market too. As such, the niche look and feel was ripped out of the game(the heart basically) and dumbed down for the console. It still offers the moral choices that effect the story, and picking your approach to objectives like Deus Ex. but its quite frankly not as good, its decent, but doesnt better the origional.

[toj.cc]Phantom 03-12-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko (Post 541921)
first off, deus ex is brilliant! Not just quite good :p

deus ex was purely a pc game, and had a brilliant niche look and feel to it, combined with the rpg side. Tweaking your characters skills, and the moral decisions you have to make that effect the story in different ways. And the choices of approaching objectives.

De:invisble war was aimed at the pc but also the console market too. As such, the niche look and feel was ripped out of the game(the heart basically) and dumbed down for the console. It still offers the moral choices that effect the story, and picking your approach to objectives like deus ex. But its quite frankly not as good, its decent, but doesnt better the origional.

qft!

Intrepid Homoludens 03-12-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

I missed it myself, mostly because when it came out my PC wasn't good enough to run it (I since switched to console gaming almost exclusively).

Quote:

Are you sure that's a fair comparison? After all, Deus Ex was originally released ten years ago, and games have progressed by leaps and bounds ever since, as evinced by Mass Effect 2 and other story driven titles.

Deus Ex received many accolades...

Quote:

Deus Ex has earned a number of awards and many nominations, including over 40 Game of the Year and/or best in its class awards in magazines and websites. This includes awards from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, IGN, GameSpy, PC Gamer, Computer Gaming World, and The Adrenaline Vault, among many others. Deus Ex was also awarded "Excellence in Game Design" and "Game Innovation Spotlight" at the 2000 Game Developers Choice Awards and won in the "Computer Innovation" and "Computer Action/Adventure" categories at the Interactive Achievement Awards.It has additionally received many Best Story accolades, including first prize in the 2006 Gamasutra "Quantum Leap" awards for storytelling in a video game.

Deus Ex has appeared in a number of greatest games of all time lists and hall of fame features, placing in the top thirty for most, and in the top ten for many. This includes numerous IGN 100 Greatest Games of All Time lists, GameSpy's Top 50 Games of All Time, 25 Most Memorable Games of the Past 5 Years, and Hall of Fame, numerous PC Gamer Top 50 PC Games lists, Yahoo! UK Video Games' 100 Greatest Computer Games of All Time, and in GameFAQs' Top 100 Games of All Time. It was also named second best game of the decade by Gamasutra.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex...st_games_lists

The game arguably deserved all such praises for its time, not least of which was because, as Niko pointed out, it allowed you to shape your experience of the story through philosophical and moral choices step by step.

If anything Deus Ex paved the way for subsequent RPGs like Mass Effect 2. I don't understand your point of comparing it to another game launched today.

AndreaDraco83 03-12-2010 10:43 AM

I have both the original games, but never played them. I might give them a try some day. Do you guys recommend them?

Niko 03-12-2010 10:54 AM

For sure, i reccomend you play Deus Ex. It is a huge game though, and will take some time to finish. DE:IW is not as long, and generally not as good as the origional, but still worth playing.

If your going to play DE3, then playing DE1 & DE2 is ideal.

Hammerite 03-12-2010 12:58 PM

Both are brilliant, in my view (first one's mush better, of course), and I'm very much looking forward tae this.
Also, might get Mass Effect based on what some have said here... :)

TiAgUh 03-13-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 541870)

If Tony Stark and the suit had a son..
With arms like that you would hope for something better than just a knife :shifty:

Roper Klacks 03-13-2010 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 541930)
Are you sure that's a fair comparison? After all, Deus Ex was originally released ten years ago, and games have progressed by leaps and bounds ever since, as evinced by Mass Effect 2 and other story driven titles.

Not in every department, in some aspect Deus Ex is a lot more complex and evolved than Mass Effect 2, mainly in narrative freedom. You could do almost whatever you wanted and the story would shape and evolve based on your decisions. I know Mass Effect also does this to an extent, but the freedom you have is much more limited and constrained. I mean in Deus Ex you cold murder a lot of main characters whenever you wanted and still the story evolved. Its like you could murder Tali (god forbid) and still manage to continue the story.

Gabe 03-13-2010 02:14 PM

Video looked like another x-men clone to me how uninspiring.

Hammerite 03-13-2010 04:10 PM

I doubt it will be, given the quality of the two previous games.

Ugignadl 03-13-2010 04:34 PM

In this forum, on mostly adventure games, it is fair to compare games released 10+ years ago to games recently released. Because most of the time it is more than a fair comparison. How many recent adventure games surpass the greats of 2000, or even earlier?

I enjoyed Deus Ex and am looking forward to the third. But I will only be able to play it on the PS3, so I hope that platform doesn't suffer.

Monolith 03-14-2010 01:11 AM

Got a chance to attend the GDC Seminar for the Deus Ex 3 art direction. A really amazing presentation.

Hammerite 03-14-2010 04:20 AM

Sounds int'resting. Could ye elaborate a bit more?

Periglo 03-16-2010 04:27 AM

I am deeply sorry for the controversy. I was actually thinking about Advent: Rising!!!

I have been unable to check on this thread and correct it before...

So embarrassing! Plus, Deus Ex has been in my to-play list for a long time. I'll now add the second part to it, and this new one.

Monolith 03-16-2010 05:25 PM

Here is a video with some information I got from the Deus Ex 3 seminar.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-deus-ex/63206

Hammerite 03-17-2010 04:30 AM

T-Hanks!

Monolith 04-16-2010 01:10 PM

Here is a nice article on the visual design of DX3. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...ature+Articles)

D.C. 06-11-2010 05:28 PM

I've got to say, the new trailer is a thing of beauty. I've watched it a couple of times now and it's so damn atmospheric. IGN has posted a new preview with screenshots too. The art direction is amazing.

I can't wait to play this game.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-11-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.C. (Post 551683)
with screenshots too. The art direction is amazing.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I don't know if you played the original game but those screens show that they've got the essence of the Deus Ex world down perfectly.

D.C. 06-11-2010 07:01 PM

Unfortunately I haven't experienced the earlier instalments, though they've always been on my must play list -- just never actually got around to them. I love that sort of dystopian setting, though. Blade Runner. Stark in The Longest Journey. Omega in Mass Effect 2. The world looks fully realized too. It's the little touches of detail, like the street signs in the subway station and the news anchor on the TV. Being a sequel, it's a whole lot more ambitious than they probably needed to be. (That's far from a bad thing, though.)

I'm most definitely impressed.

Roper Klacks 06-12-2010 05:25 AM

That trailer is amazing (except voice acting) and we can see Square Enix talent for CG movies, thaey are one of the best in that department.

The look is very inspired by Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and Akira, and thats fine, those are the pinnacle of cyberpunk setting. About what we know, the game looks promising especially after reading Eurogamer's preview. It wont have the freedom of the original, but i hope it will be better than the sequel, at least seems that Eidos Montreal knows what made Deus Ex so good and Deus Ex 2 so dissapointing.

Hammerite 06-12-2010 09:25 AM

Looking forward to this - especially as someone who liked both DX1 and 2 (though 1 was obv. better).
:)

EDIT: So it should be out when I go back to uni. They ALWAYS do that!

Monolith 06-12-2010 09:50 PM

I really liked Deus Ex 2. Unlike what people said, the story of the game was really good and carried the original arc further. The ending was really awesome. The only problem I thought was the consolized gameplay. Otherwise, it was far from a disappointment.

D.C. 06-12-2010 10:32 PM

Here's hoping Eidos/Square Enix release the previous games in a bundle or on GOG or something...

Christian IV 06-18-2010 09:49 AM

Deux Ex and Deux Ex Invisible War are both brilliant games in the same genre and quality as Anachronox and Omikiron, a growing family of wonderful beautifully concieved and created world games. I am looking forward to Deux Ex III very much. Now we can hope for the sequel to Anachronox. ;)

TiAgUh 06-21-2010 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian IV (Post 552469)
Now we can hope for the sequel to Anachronox. ;)

Oh hells yeah! I so wanna see planet Democratus in full glorious HD :drool:.

MoP 06-21-2010 05:26 PM

Leaked 20 minute gameplay videos from E3.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2436/dex3.jpg
Seriously leaked so bad quality and head_covering_half_of_screen (as shown above).

Disappearing rapidly from the interwebs I believe, so make haste :P
Edit: Since that indeed disappeared, go here and then here.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-21-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoP (Post 552763)
Leaked 20 minute gameplay videos from E3.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2436/dex3.jpg
Seriously leaked so bad quality and head_covering_half_of_screen (as shown above).

Disappearing rapidly from the interwebs I believe, so make haste :P

*drools* ....... *head explodes*

orient 06-27-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoP (Post 552763)
Edit: Since that indeed disappeared, go here and then here.

I've been waiting for a game like this :D A game that sits somewhere between the "sandbox" structure of Fallout 3 and the linear, cinematic experience of Uncharted 2. In the gameplay footage, you can see a level of detail that just isn't possible in an open-world game, and a sense of freedom that heavily scripted games do not allow.

It helps that the cyberpunk style is probably my all-time favourite for fictional settings :9~

Hammerite 06-28-2010 01:52 AM

Looking good. :)

Monolith 06-28-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 553351)
I've been waiting for a game like this :D A game that sits somewhere between the "sandbox" structure of Fallout 3 and the linear, cinematic experience of Uncharted 2. In the gameplay footage, you can see a level of detail that just isn't possible in an open-world game, and a sense of freedom that heavily scripted games do not allow.

It helps that the cyberpunk style is probably my all-time favourite for fictional settings :9~

Though the design here is more along the lines of Cyberpunk DaVinci/Victorian. A more intense and beautiful art direction.

orient 06-28-2010 05:03 AM

I know, but the footage still screams Blade Runner, which isn't something I'm going to complain about.

Lee in Limbo 07-06-2010 12:50 PM

*intrigued*

Intrepid Homoludens 07-06-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo (Post 554118)
*intrigued*

You've never played the original Deus Ex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp0DP1O4bs

Lee in Limbo 07-06-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 554129)
You've never played the original Deus Ex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp0DP1O4bs

I, uh, have a copy... but I've never installed it... *hangs head in shame*

Owskie 07-06-2010 09:25 PM

Well so far, it looks like a console game and seems to be playing like a console game. Leave it up to me to be the pessimistic one. Are you really surprised? haha.

After getting my hopes up for Deus Ex 2 and being horribly let down by the generic consolization and butchering of one of my favorite titles I am not about to do it again. I am sure it will be a great watered down version of what it could have been though.