You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Deus Ex: Human Revolution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #121

The load times were fixed in the latest pc patch.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #122

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...man-Revolution

He said nothing about the game that I haven't already said.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #123
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...man-Revolution

He said nothing about the game that I haven't already said.
... and you are both right. Yahtzee actually does a good job most of the time pointing out a game's flaws, and even if he doesn't directly say it, you can tell whether he liked the game or not. I personally find Intrepid Homoludens' rant rather childish and uncalled for.

I, too, finished the game a few days ago, and while I didn't dislike it, I wouldn't say it was the best thing I ever played. It had its strong points, but the sneaking around bores me since the third Splinter Cell, and most of the "alternative" routes become quite foreseeable after a few missions. It's a great game, but neither the setting nor the characters did much for me, even though I enjoy reading the excellent RPS articles about the game.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #124
Schättenjager

One of the most overrated rpg's.Design inconsistency
making game gullible.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
One of the most overrated rpg's.Design inconsistency
making game gullible.
I concur (along with Bethesda's RPGs)!

Unfortunately I was really disappointed with Human Revolution, original Deus Ex is a much better game (in my opinion, and I played first Deus Ex last year)

AGs currently playing:
PC: Sanitarium, Maupiti Island
iPhone: Broken Sword Director's Cut, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #126
kamikaze hummingbirds

What are the reasons for your disappointment?

I'm more than pleased with it, so far -- nearly finished too, I think (unfortunately). My only criticisms are the boss fights (they really do jar), the fact that it's not quite as open as the first (I miss the feeling that the hubs were absolutely huge, though that may just be retrospect), and the fact that the graphical style is generally very "samey" throughout.

That said, it's definitely almost on par with the first -- the ability to actually make moral choices that aren't completely obvious is very welcome, and the takedowns - that I thought would be needless - are implemented nicely.

I love the references to the first too, and I'm definitely gonna make an effort to replay that fairly soon.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #127
Schattenjäger

^agreed, i cant be disappointed here, the game gets the core concepts right and is an infinitely better sequel than invisible war. The first game did not have a perfect story, it was not a million hours long. Id say HR is on par, which is more than i couldv hoped for.
The game has a variety of balance issues, many of which revolve around the spotty energy system. But the deus ex experience is there... and in 6-12 months after all the patches and DLC comes out, itl be a masterpiece.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #128

The thing that disappointed me the most was level design. It was just bland, contrived and with unnaturaly clear division of paths for different characters. On the other hand level design of first Deus Ex feels like levels were made like building a real location and then given to the player for exploration and play. Human Revolution's levels don't promote replayability while original Deus Ex's does. Another thing was the storytelling - I never experienced the feel of being hooked on a story. Something like the talk with Paul in Hangar (in first Deus Ex) that would get me really interested and involving with the story. The theme of conspiracy was there but nothing substantial that I would care about. Furthermore pacing was also strange. First Deus Ex was flawed in that regard also but in this one is noticably irksome.

Those 2 things in my opinion really hurt the single player experience. Same thing happened when I played Alpha Protocol. Level design in that game is so bad I barely finished it, but Alpha Protocol excells in choices and consequences.

Well this looks like a short review now (although with only negatives pointed out) so I'll give it a verdict:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is among the best games currently in the market

And now I understand why I'm playing first Deus Ex, Silent Hill 2 and old adventure games in this day and age ...

AGs currently playing:
PC: Sanitarium, Maupiti Island
iPhone: Broken Sword Director's Cut, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #129
Schattenjäger

Well, there can be no doubt, the best part of the game is the city hubs, and the "dungeons" get really tedious. Supposedly the developers planned to have 3 more hubs (upper hengshua, montreal, and shanghai) and instead theyr probably going to milk them with DLC. But if it had even just 1 more well done city hub the game would be at least 9/10 for me.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #130

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

I concur with the level design. This is to be expected considering such a large focus on consoles. The console design process also hindered Invisible War. Though the extent of detriment was far less obvious this time around. Good game, but feels incomplete in size and length (thats what she said)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #131

I've enjoyed DEHR about the same as i did with Alpha Protocol. It has it's problems here and there, and they could had done things to make it better. Still not as good as the Original, but overall it is a good game.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #132
kamikaze hummingbirds

Just finished it! Overall, I've really enjoyed it -- though there are a few flaws that could have been ironed out. Definitely one of the games I've enjoyed most in recent years.

Might be more detailed when I'm less lazy.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #133
Psychonaut

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...postcount=1566

Overall I loved the game. There are a couple of flaws in the world that break the immersion and the final level does an Uncharted on me
Spoiler:
Why turn them into Bloody Zombies?
which I didn't like.

The AI could be really stupid at times when you just hide under a desk and they can't find you, but in the main it was pretty decent.

One of the best games of the year.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #134

Just jumping in here. I haven't finished.

But I have verified again some objective truths:

"Boss fights" may be somewhat of a tradition, but they are obnoxious. The one I came across in the game so far was enough to ruin a game of such excellence up to that point. I got through it but only because I was left with no choice.

3rd-person perspective, and in particluar 3rd-person perspective with jumpy-camera (Tomb-raideresque), is a blight. It is not preferable to 1st-person ever; in any situation (unless you want to cheat, and at that point why don't you just type "godmode" into the console {and print-out the walkthrough while you are at it}). It is a miserable fucking blight; and it has once again degraded what is almost otherwise a great game.

Thems facts.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #135
Lovable rogue

I raged so hard at how they chose to do the ending, it just felt rushed and half-arsed.

Other than that it was a pretty enjoyable game, it reminded me of Mass Effect in some respects. I'd be quite happy to buy another game in the series were they to make one, but hopefully with larger environments and more side quests next time.

The boss fights annoyed me possibly even more than the Metal Gear Solid ones, but thankfully there were only three.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #136
delusions of adequacy

I found it a little weird that they tied augmentation so tightly to experience points. You're encouraged to maximise EXP gain to get the toys, faster.

And exp isn't exactly awarded fairly, you're encouraged to a particular playstyle (explore/hack/stealth)... that can potentially ruin the story and a lot of the fun.

You can get quite a lot of augmentations if you just run around Detroit early on hacking everything you find, ruining future plot hooks by stumbling onto clues and evidence for quests that haven't triggered yet.

I haven't worked out why I have to stand up and shout "hey everyone I'm hacking this computer/door/switch now". The game forces you to deal with guards BEFORE hacking, and guards typically have the fucking password for the thing you intend to hack on their person... BUH!?

But hey, if you want mad exp gain to get them praxis points (and they say nu-poz is addictive) you hack, even with that fat 4 digit code screaming at you above the hack button.

I enjoyed the game a lot more when I removed augmentation gain from the equation (by cheating) and just followed the story, playing Jensen how I wanted but letting the story lead me by the hand.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
I found it a little weird that they tied augmentation so tightly to experience points. You're encouraged to maximise EXP gain to get the toys, faster.

And exp isn't exactly awarded fairly, you're encouraged to a particular playstyle (explore/hack/stealth)... that can potentially ruin the story and a lot of the fun.

You can get quite a lot of augmentations if you just run around Detroit early on hacking everything you find, ruining future plot hooks by stumbling onto clues and evidence for quests that haven't triggered yet.

I haven't worked out why I have to stand up and shout "hey everyone I'm hacking this computer/door/switch now". The game forces you to deal with guards BEFORE hacking, and guards typically have the fucking password for the thing you intend to hack on their person... BUH!?

But hey, if you want mad exp gain to get them praxis points (and they say nu-poz is addictive) you hack, even with that fat 4 digit code screaming at you above the hack button.

I enjoyed the game a lot more when I removed augmentation gain from the equation (by cheating) and just followed the story, playing Jensen how I wanted but letting the story lead me by the hand.
You just complained about what made the Deus Ex series great. Though I say the experience points were even in the first two games.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #138
Senior Automaton

Disappointing game. This was really the only big-budget mainstream game I was looking forward to this year, after increasingly getting frustrated with the big developers' streamlined and predictable approach to making games. Think I'll stick with the indie and small developers from now on, as they've proven themselves far more capable and original with their game development than the big guys.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #139
Schättenjager

Yes, by the way what with the night club decorated offices and triangle obsession everywhere,horrible art direction never want to see this game again in my life.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #140

I liked the game. The original is one of my favorite games of all time so it didn't quite live up to that but it's better than the second. I liked the atmosphere and style a lot and was happy to see a real inventory returning to the series.

I miss the skill tree from the original that let you spec in different weapons, faster swimming, etc. and how it made you choose between different augmentations (either run silent OR run faster as opposed to Deus Ex 3 which lets you have everything combined.)

Also the level design of the original was a little better.

That said, while it doesn't live up quite to the original, Deus Ex 3 is still vastly better than most other shooters or RPGs that have come out in the past years.