You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Deus Ex: Human Revolution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #101

But a lot of people take Yahtzee's word as truth, which I call complete BS.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 08-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #102

Oh, the new augmentations...

Name:  snap283.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  43.5 KB

That splayed hand comes in handy for facepalming (and taking my face off, too). Icarus landing sounds great, too, when you're a bit shaky on Greek myth.

I wonder what issues the game will have with platforming - hope I won't have to carry my own platform or go hunting for walls to bounce off of LIKE IN DX2. I've often dreamed of an aug that allows you to finish a DX game without arms, and now they're giving me one:

Name:  snap284.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  35.6 KB

Yes, DX is a game for nerds! We know that going though life as a robot is best. (Future modding idea: also swap drink cans & snickers for little Prozac bottles)

I'm so desperate for this, I'm going through what must be the most DXy DX(HR)®₪€Â£$™ thread on the web. Q&A of the day:
Quote:
Q - Why does Adam Jensen pelvic thrust whenever he switches weapons while crouched and in cover? Did I just uncover a future side plot about treating Jensen's weapon fetish? Will this type of activity escalate and is it upgradable in any augmentation forms?
A - Two words: Groin-gun. So now you know how the game ends. Sorry for the spoilers.

Like THIS??

Unexpected goodies for the MYST fan inside me (?!):
Quote:
(Q) I noticed that reading through some of the e-books even grants you experience, though not all of them do.
Mary DeMarle: Yes. Okay, that's what we call – behind the scenes – the "e-books" and the "XP books." XP books are also e-books, but the difference is that there are certain books in the world that give you experience points...
I guess they're not talking about Deus Ex novels. YET.
Sounds like the game nanny will be awarding me "experience points" for reading stuff. YIAAARGH! I don't want to be pampered! I hacked ALL the computers in RedSun 2020!!! I went through the Illustrated ( Bible?|Feeble?|Fable?) For the Young Lady to find out all there is to know about skull guns (note: you only need pages 1-15 for that).

Edit: On a lighter note, Squenix have been firing their design team at the very last minute, and we are about to see a totally different DXHR. Watch trailer here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...lations/359590

RABID FANS!

Name:  fPrM6.png
Views: 377
Size:  15.7 KB

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 08-20-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #103
Schattenjäger

yahtzee's job is to make fun of games and rally up web traffic by making the industry look dumb. He makes compelling observations, but unfortunately he focusses on bashing the game rather than giving his real opinion.
So even if he ends up liking HR, you can fully expect a review that pummels it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #104
Psychonaut

Yahtzee is a prick.

It's easier to be a critic.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #105
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Sorry, but personally I don't waste my time reading one paragraph reviews by a perpetually PMSing douche crab whiner who has probably never had anyone other than himself touch himself.
Hey! I find my posts to be rather insightful and characterised by almost Oscar Wilde levels of wit and intellect!

... Oh, you're talking about Yahtzee.

Spoiler:
I joke because it makes the nights pass quicker
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #106
merely human

@Hammerite LOL <3

*AHEM*

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, could we just dump this Yahtzee douchetard out of this topic and someone who finally has his copy of the game tell us what it's like? * ignores SamandMax out of spite *

My copy shipped today and will arrive tomorrow - in Chicago. Meanwhile I'm stuck here in California for another 10 days so won't get to play the fecking thing.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #107
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

This game is fantastic. I've put 20+ hours into it since getting my copy last week and I find myself enjoying it more and more each time I pick up the controller. I've upgraded my character to focus on stealth so I can see through walls, see every enemy's cone of vision, and run and jump around without being heard. The only gun I use is a tranquilizer so besides the boss fights (the only time where you can't choose how to approach the situation and easily the worst parts of the game) I've managed to not kill anyone thus far.

The levels are brilliant in their intricate-yet-open design, the side missions are plentiful and incredibly varied and creative and, most importantly, this feels EXACTLY like what Deus Ex should feel like. This isn't a reboot or a modern shooter simply being branded with the Deus Ex name - this really is the 3rd game in the series, a direct continuation of where they left off in The Invisible War. It took a long time but it was worth the wait.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #108
kamikaze hummingbirds

Should be getting my copy on Thursday if my belief that pre-orders come a teeny bit earlier turns out to be true.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #109
Schättenjager

"It's both fascinating and frustrating that Human Revolution, a game that's special precisely because it allows you so much freedom, would occasionally force you into a single style of play. This is especially true of the boss fights, most of which turn this free-form, do-it-your-way role-playing action game into a shooter. This may not annoy you too much if you've been playing it as one, but if you've built yourself up as a stealth star, a hacking hero, or a jack-of-all trades, boss encounters are not a welcome change of pace. Not only does forcing you to shoot feel out of place in a game that generally rewards you for keeping your foes alive, but the fights also aren't that fun on their own terms. Once you figure out your enemy's pattern, you just repeat the same moves until you whittle down his or her inflated life bar. (A life bar, mind you, that you cannot see.)"

Weakest point is boss fights unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #110
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
"It's both fascinating and frustrating that Human Revolution, a game that's special precisely because it allows you so much freedom, would occasionally force you into a single style of play. This is especially true of the boss fights, most of which turn this free-form, do-it-your-way role-playing action game into a shooter. This may not annoy you too much if you've been playing it as one, but if you've built yourself up as a stealth star, a hacking hero, or a jack-of-all trades, boss encounters are not a welcome change of pace. Not only does forcing you to shoot feel out of place in a game that generally rewards you for keeping your foes alive, but the fights also aren't that fun on their own terms. Once you figure out your enemy's pattern, you just repeat the same moves until you whittle down his or her inflated life bar. (A life bar, mind you, that you cannot see.)"

Weakest point is boss fights unfortunately.
It may be possible to exploit augs and skills that aren't generally shooter strengths and turn boss fights into fun fights. One reviewer, I've read, snuck into an air vent and played deadly hide & seek with the waves of enemies. Another used his strength aug and shoved vending machines into a chokepoint to keep enemies out.

It sounds like the boss fights are predictable, but it's up to you to turn it around and make it entertaining for yourself.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #111
kamikaze hummingbirds

To add compliment to orgasm, the reception of this is making me even more optimistic about Thief 4 (enough to make me overlook the use of the 4 in place of the E)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #112

*dies* Thief 4 is coming!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #113
Schattenjäger

iv played for a couple hours now, what can i say, it feels like a "real" deus ex game, and thats a beautiful thing.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #114
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
To add compliment to orgasm, the reception of this is making me even more optimistic about Thief 4 (enough to make me overlook the use of the 4 in place of the E)
I bet they make thi4f with same outdated map style and thousands of loading screen,but if they can dare and create an open world game(like ACB)it would be superb.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I bet they make thi4f with same outdated map style and thousands of loading screen,but if they can dare and create an open world game(like ACB)it would be superb.
I'd prefer it if they stuck with the original map style. I don't know, it isn't open world, but its open enough to make its own feeling and experience.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #116
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Yeah, I think a Thief set in a completely open world wouldn't be Thief anymore. Human Revolution proves you can still use the old school hub system so I don't see why Thief 4 couldn't do the same. The levels require such intricate design for stealth and choice that it'd be impossible to do properly without dividing it into sections.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #117
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Should be getting my copy on Thursday if my belief that pre-orders come a teeny bit earlier turns out to be true.
Oh, how WRONG I was. I'd have been better off just buying it from the shop today.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Yeah, I think a Thief set in a completely open world wouldn't be Thief anymore. Human Revolution proves you can still use the old school hub system so I don't see why Thief 4 couldn't do the same. The levels require such intricate design for stealth and choice that it'd be impossible to do properly without dividing it into sections.
Yeah, it would be an Assassin's Creed clone.

I never played much of the Thief games, I was excited for Thief and played up to the point where zombies showed up and never played another minute of Thief. It was a really big disappointment to me back then.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #119
kamikaze hummingbirds

Despite having died very often before the credits even came up, I'm finding this to be surpassing my initial expectations!

Spoiler:
Just finished the first mission, though I didn't manage to free the hostages... . It's great to see a game that has really managed to implement a good system of choices that isn't just 'what Jesus would do' or 'what Hitler would do'.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #120

A little something on Youtube for the folks waiting for the Game of the Year Edition :

Deus Ex Human Revolution (Beta) Speedrun - Hard Mode - Mission 1
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Beta) Speedrun - Hard Mode - Mission 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Beta) Speedrun - Hard Mode - Mission 3*
* Here it's starting to get really cool...

DXHR loading screen

The game has got those unskippable conversations (nag) and quite substantial level loading times (mega-nag), the facial animations aren't so hot, they have been cutting corners, literally, on the NPC characters' voicework... oops, I take back that last part, listening to the NPCs is actually pretty cool. One thing I definitely like is the main character.

So while the game has its flaws, I guess it's pretty good. Let's just say, it persuaded me to join your side.

For comparison and fondly remeniscing, I downloaded these speedruns of the previous game a while ago: Deus Ex | Deus Ex Invisible War (High quality is highly recommended). They have their hilarious moments, like how to pass time 'til the infolink shuts up, by harrassing the NPCs. The "grenade jump" technique used in DX is delicious to behold, or how to end up in MJ12 detention with all your precious equipment intact... Or how to skip the main task by getting an NPC to open a door for you. Deus Ex has a serious cuteness factor for me nowadays.

Last edited by Hoipolloi; 08-30-2011 at 02:33 PM.