Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   New Year Gaming Resolutions for 2010 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/26067-new-year-gaming-resolutions-2010-a.html)

J.H 12-28-2009 09:56 AM

New Year Gaming Resolutions for 2010

I just read this article and it made me think what my gaming resolutions for 2010 would be.

My gaming resolutions are...

To Complete The Games I Start
A lot of the time I find myself starting a game half heartedly and not really trying to progress much further because it doesn't grab me straight away. I could try a little harder and see if the game takes me somewhere. If not then I will have to give up lol.

Buy a PS3 To Play...
Metal Gear Solid 4 and the new Final Fanatsy, I'm a big fan of both. I also want to have a go at Dragon Age Origins, it looks interesting. Not to mention Alan Wake and Heavy Rain.

Play Games I Already Have
I've a terrible habit of buying games in bulk, playing a few of them then buying more without playing all the ones I just bought.

What are your 2010 New Year Resolutions?

SharonB 12-28-2009 10:14 AM

Not to buy any more new games till I get my new system. Which I anticipate will be in March or at the latest April. I have a slew of games yet to be played and I simply must stop buying for a period.

Of course, once I get my new system I'll be able to buy games that won't work on my current system. But there won't be too many of those.

booB 12-28-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 534120)
A lot of the time I find myself starting a game half heartedly and not really trying to progress much further because it doesn't grab me straight away. I could try a little harder and see if the game takes me somewhere. If not then I will have to give up lol.

I do this. I only get time to play games on my days off from work, and a lot of times I lose interest in a game because I haven't had time to play it.

Quote:

I've a terrible habit of buying games in bulk, playing a few of them then buying more without playing all the ones I just bought.
LOL, I do this too, and it's also related to my lack of playing time. I'm really bad about picking up more and more games without playing the ones I already have, and they sit and sit forever.

I really only have one resolution, and that's to play and beat all the following BioWare games: KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect 2. (I'm not counting Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, because I don't like the way the DnD rules work. Same for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.)

J.H 12-29-2009 10:54 AM

Can't wait for Mass Effect 2!

Pinchpenny 12-29-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 534120)

Both of these apply to me. The first one not so much because it doesn't grab me, but because I'll buy another game and just move onto that instead. It doesn't help that it bugs me when I leave games uncompleted - not 100% every unlock type completed, but at least the main story/career of it. I really need to try and see these resolutions through the year, at least for my wallet's sake.

Zack 12-29-2009 03:13 PM

My resolutions.

1. Sign up to X-Box Live: I'm missing a wireless connection which should automatically connect to my computer, or so I'm told. Once I do that, I'll try playing co-op games with a friend.

2. Buy a Playstation 3: There are a bunch of games that I've wanted to play that are only available for the Playstation 3. Uncharted 1 and 2, and Infamous for example.

3. Get a job and an apartment: I know this last new years goal isn't game-related, but I'm living with my parents here in Oregon, and I'm going to have to go back to living by myself soon. All I do here is play games, watch T.V. and eat the meals my mom makes. On the plus side, my mom, dad, and I, go to the gym every week.

J.H 12-29-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinchpenny (Post 534238)
Both of these apply to me. The first one not so much because it doesn't grab me, but because I'll buy another game and just move onto that instead. It doesn't help that it bugs me when I leave games uncompleted - not 100% every unlock type completed, but at least the main story/career of it. I really need to try and see these resolutions through the year, at least for my wallet's sake.

Lol I'm the same it really annoys me when I haven't completed the story.

Pinchpenny 12-29-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack (Post 534246)
1. Sign up to X-Box Live: I'm missing a wireless connection which should automatically connect to my computer, or so I'm told. Once I do that, I'll try playing co-op games with a friend.

You may already know this, but you can hook an Ethernet cable (one comes with your 360) from your PC to 360 and share the wireless connection that way. You may have to fiddle with some settings to let your PC allow it (feel free to PM me if you need details), but it's how I have mine set up and it saves paying £50-odd for the wireless adapter that Microsoft sell.

Crunchy in milk 12-29-2009 05:03 PM

Stop playing multiple characters concurrently, in games that allow this (like RPGs).

Whenever I start an rpg I invariably make a bunch of characters to try out their different bells and whistles. Instead of concentrating on just one character and immersing myself in the story from start to finish, I end up playing one character for a while and then switching to another. Jockeying back and forth between them. This has always resulted in 'area fatigue' and identity confusion.

Fien 12-31-2009 01:46 AM

1. Choose downloads over retail.
2. Play all the adventures I've bought for the Nintendo.
3. Do something about my huge pile of older, unplayed games.

Fantasysci5 12-31-2009 01:25 PM

I agree with a lot of resolutions already stated. I really have a backlog of games that I need to play, although some I've just given up on.

HaroldO 01-06-2010 11:50 AM

Well, I'm a bit late to post this so let just pretend I celebrate chinese new year :D

1- Play many more Adventure games.
I've only truly discovered the genre in mid-2008 but today I could say it's becoming my favorite genre even though I'm fairly eclectic. I've only played a few of them, about 7 or 8 I recon. In 2010 I want to finish at least 12.

2- Reduce my backlog
I usually buy games to play months or even years later. I want to retire most of my older purchased games as I'm able.

3- Finish buying my PS1 and PS2 wishlist
I'm still buying games for these old systems. I'll buy a few more of them and close the collection at a acceptable number. I only keep a number of games for each system that must be divisible by 3. The math thing is just me being cuckoo :crazy:

4- Enjoy the "last year(s)" of Final Fantasy XI before the likely mass migration to Final Fantasy XIV
I lack the discipline of a hardcore mmorpg player but I want to get something from FF XI before the servers start emptying.

jbunniii 01-07-2010 05:30 PM

My goal is to FINISH more games.

Luna Sevithiainen 01-10-2010 02:40 AM

I'll continue with my resolution to never again use a walkthrough, not even UHS (because my experience with UHS is getting more and more that you see more of the overall structure (for example the length) than you want, and because UHS seems to give less subtle hints and more clearcut answers). I'll think about it, and only if after a week, or maybe 2 I still have no clue will I ask some to the point hint.

And my second one: get more of those droolworthy boxed version of those droolworthy classics. I want a huge collection!

Fantasysci5 01-11-2010 04:15 AM

Oh Luna, I wish I had that type of resolution! I use walkthrough hints like there's no tomorrow. lol

Luna Sevithiainen 01-12-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 535546)
Oh Luna, I wish I had that type of resolution! I use walkthrough hints like there's no tomorrow. lol

You can try ;) Maybe start with limiting the number of hints you allow yourself per game, or force yourself to, when stuck, only check a walkthrough when after a few days of thinking and trying all kinds of things you still have no clue.