You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General KotOR II: A Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default KotOR II: A Question

Hey folks, I'm about to finish the first Knights of the Old Republic and, without a single doubt, it has become one of my favorite games ever!

The story and the characters are wonderful and the plot development superior to everything I've played since 1999 (Gabriel Knight 3). I'm really, really loving it and now that I'm nearing the ending (I'm currently finishing some minor quests on the Unknown World), I'm wondering:

Would you recommend KotOR II? I know that it has been made by a different developer (Obsidian) and I'm thinking of getting it, of course, but I wouldn't want it to ruin my enjoyment of the first chapter. So: is it good? How well does it compare to the first game? How's the story?

Thanks!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
delusions of adequacy

Kotor 2 is an ugly gem. A bastard child. It is anything but pretty looking. What is there, works, but to say it lacks polish is an understatement. It oozes ambition and what it manages to pull off despite the ludicrously short development time is just remarkable. There's stuff in there that you can't help but feel is still trickling down into today's RPGs.

The crafting system is excellent, the NPC influence system was revolutionary, The characters are memorable. The approach is about as adult as you can get with the Star Wars license. Maybe too much so for Lucasarts' tastes and that played a part in the rushed release, I don't know.

Kotor 2 is a much darker, more intimate look at the nature of the force and its influence on morality. Whether you swing light or dark, kotor 2 tries to make you sweat the big decisions (you will either love or love to hate the character Kreia, I urge you to have her in your party _all_ the time). And if you do swing dark, Kotor 2 is the place to do it. You can be a real son of a bitch in this one like nowhere else and really feel your soul blackening as you play.

Its definitely worth playing, but also worth knowing that what you're getting is a flawed masterpiece. You may really connect with the developers approach to the star wars universe, to the characters and to the nifty gameplay features introduced here (features you're likely to see in Dragon Age I'm sure) and then be all the more upset when towards the end of the game (and sometimes in the middle, too) it feels as if you've stepped back stage in the production and are doing the dress rehearsal on a hastily constructed placeholder set. Because you are.

Damn shame really.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

I never played the KOTR games when they first came out. But i had the privilage to buy/play them last year, and i thought they were amazing games. I played KOTR2 first, and i really enjoyed it. i then played KOTR, and i must admit, i did enjoy KOTR more than No.2 for some reason. Both are very good games, i would reccomend it.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
BSC, SSC

There's a fan-made patch that restores significant amounts of content that was cut from the original. I hear it improves the game quite a bit.

http://www.deadlystream.com/showthread.php?t=339
Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Citizen of Bizarro World

Ooh, if my third replay hadn't been so recent, I'd be all over this in seconds! I'll wait so that I may savor it.. I wonder whether they managed to make the light/dark side endings distinguishable, as far as seeing how your choices end up influencing the galaxy..
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Random

OMG

Just today I've found out that Kotor is an acronym for "knights of the old republic", lol. I didn't knew it was a star Wars game. I thought it was a medieval rpg or something, hahaha!

It looks pretty fun, I'm not a star wars fan but I may get it in the future.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #7

I loved KOTOR 2, unfortunatly it has a few problems like the rushed ending. Oh and Kreia is such a fantastic character, so complex and so difficult to understand her alliengence and motivations. If you liked the first KOTOR you'll also enjoy the sequel.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Most definitely play this game. It's flawed and rushed, but it's still an amazing game. If KotOR 2 had the polish of the first game it would be as good, if not better which is really saying something. It's a whole lot darker than the first game too.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #9

I think KotOR II is great, but the background of the main character, while certainly interesting, cannot compare against the one in KotOR. I mean, wow, you don't see that every day. The secondary characters are, on the other hand, more interesting in II (Kreia!).
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Life and times of...

The worst thing about KotOR II is the beginning - absolutely endless-seeming roaming inside bland, identical spaceship insides. My brother for example never played the game because he just couldn't struggle through that part. However, once you manage to get through there, it obviously improves a lot. I barely remember anything of the game, though I do remember that while I didn't find it as good as KotOR I, I thought it was still very much worth the play, at least if you liked KotOR I.

But, as I said, I can barely remember so don't take my word on it. The only proper memory I have is of the freaking beginning, which was simply exhausting in a bad way.

The graphics were pretty much (exactly) the same as KotOR I, which was kinda surprising though understandable in this case... (of course, I'm not sure why I bring this up, but I just though it might be worth the mention)

Last edited by UPtimist; 10-29-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Citizen of Bizarro World

Kotor II also sports considerable improvements in gameplay, imho.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #12

As everyone said earlier, this game is definitely rushed, no thanks to LucasArts who obviously had a part in it's distribution. But beside that, KOTOR II is an excellent follow-up to KOTOR 1.

The game has a very complex plot, one that requires you to pay attention just in case there's a chance you get confused. But, the combat is awesome, and the choices you have to make in the game that will set you towards the paths of either the light side or the dark side are pretty deep. Kreia is a very intriguing character, and you are never sure if she is manipulating you, or if she really wants to help you. The other characters in the game are great, too. HK-47 comes back in the game, as well as the droid who joined your party in the first game T3-M4. They are essentially the C-3P0, and R2-D2 of this game series.

So, yes, I definitely recommend KOTOR II to you. In my opinion, it is almost as good as the first game. But, you need to understand that it's not the masterpiece it could've been. It's still a great game, though.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #13

I've played KotOR2 for two hours now and, for now, I must agree with UPtimist. The initial situation is extremely boring and the characters I can interact with at the moment - Kreia and Atton - don't strike me as particularly interesting. I hope things get better, otherwise I might as well replay KotOR1
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
merely human

Play KOTOR II, if only for Kreia alone. She's awesome.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
delusions of adequacy

Its not till you get a party together and start influencing them with decisions and conversations that the game takes on a life of its own. The Peragus facility is a rather long winded introduction to the gameplay and the early stages of the next level aren't enough of a reward for getting off it.

I never really begin to enjoy playing Kotor 2 until the first time I get outside. By then you've a couple of npcs, some direction to your character build and some freedom to look forward to. Some rather important back story takes place on the Peragus facility though, making it tough to skip, unlike Taris in the first game which can be easily skipped without missing much of importance.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
...I hope things get better...
It will, dont give up.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Play KOTOR II, if only for Kreia alone. She's awesome.
She's a condescending bitch.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
She's a condescending bitch.
no wai. she rules. she's about the only thing i remember from that game. andrea, have you tried mass effect? to me if you like kotor u like all bioware games.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #19

I've ordered Mass Effect from Play.com, but it isn't here yet. Same with Jade Empire.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #20
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
unlike Taris in the first game which can be easily skipped without missing much of importance.
Yet Taris was soo much more interesting...

And on a recent playthrough I actually quite enjoyed it, even if on the first time I just couldn't wait to become a jedi

About Kreia, I don't really remember her (or anything else for that matter, as I said) but think I do remember I wasn't that enthralled by her, there were more times than one when the character seemed rather annoying. Not always, but sometimes... (though taking a quick look at Kreia now reminds me of Cadsuane in the Wheel of Time novels (who, BTW, is a totally awesome character )

Or am I thinking of Bastila? It's incredible how I just don't remember...

Last edited by UPtimist; 11-01-2009 at 02:25 AM.