You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Epic Mickey is.....well, epic!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
merely human

Default Epic Mickey is.....well, epic!

Caption: Dozens of images from multiple artists help to establish the look, color, lighting, and overall vision for a given level.
If you’ve spent any time at Disneyland, you’ll also notice how much the Gremlin Village has in common with the “It’s a Small World” attraction.

Inside the Game: Epic Mickey | Game Informer

Quote:
Disney Epic Mickey is months away from release, but the work involved in its creation began years ago. Anyone who has perused the November 2009 issue of Game Informer understands the project’s dramatic scope and ambition. However, we can only fit so much information in the magazine. In our first Inside the Game online feature, we follow the art and animation development from concept to implementation to get a better sense of how Mickey and his world came to life. Don’t miss your first-ever chance to see early animation tests of Mickey and his friends in action.
Before you hit the link and begin reading the pages long probe into this upcoming title, know the man behind its scenes who is leading the dev team: Warren Spector (Wing Commander, Ultima series, System Shock, Thief: The Dark Project, Deus Ex).

“How you decide to play the game should make a difference. You get to determine what kind of hero you are. Everybody solves the problem. Everybody saves the day. Everybody gets to save the world and gets the girl,” Warren Spector tells us, in regards to the shifting spectrum of play styles that change the appearance of Mickey throughout the game. “But how you do it, and how you end up looking is up to you. What abilities you have is up to you. Who likes you is up to you. What missions you hear about or not is up to you.” Each version of Mickey has a distinct look crafted by the character artists at Mickey, from the crouching and feral scrapper to the stalwart hero.

From what I gleaned skimming through the article, it looks to be that you'll ge given a choice of 3 Mickeys - Scrapper Mickey, Wastelander Mickey, and Hero Mickey. The article includes a couple of work-in-progress videos showing Mickey in action.

Epic Mickey is slated for a 2010 release exclusively on the Wii console.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I'm very confused. What the heck is it? Is this an action game? An RPG? A platformer? A metalude a la Zelda? A collection of minigames? An adventure game? Okay, it's probably not an adventure game. But seeing so much attention paid to style and story, without any clear indication of what I'd actually be doing in it, makes me worry about its priorities.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Pixiehunter

Sounds like an interesting concept, freedom in choice and ways to do things is something I like in games.
I have a few problems with this game though...
1.I don't own a wii
2. I don't like Mickey Mouse
With Mickey as main character I am a bit worried about the plot, whether it will not be too easy, childish, simple, Disney-like. Which it will be anyway, given that, no matter what path you choose, you always end up winning.

Maybe I don't like the concept that much anyway...
Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #4

I got my newest Game Informer magazine in the mail today, and the cover story was Epic Mickey. It definitely looks intriguing, so I will have to look at it later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
merely human

Quote:
A long, long, time ago, the sorcerer Yen Sid created a pen-and-paper world for his forgotten characters, accesible through a mirror. Mickey accidentally trips through the mirror, spilling paint thinner and twisting the world. He managed to escape without Yen Sid knowing, but it had its consequences. The Phantom Blot usurped power from Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and sent the world into ruin. Years later, Mickey is kidnapped by the Phantom Blot and sent into the world. Oswald, his will lost, twisted by jealousy over the mouse's rise to fame, has formulated a plan to destroy Mickey. The Mad Doctor works closely with the Blot, creating robotic "Beetleworx", made to intimidate and twist Mickey's vision of his friends. He also creates 'buddies' for Oswald, looking like Donald Duck and Goofy, as Oswald wants Mickey's life and popularity for himself. Mickey must stop the Phantom Blot, gain the trust of Oswald and save the forgotten world.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey

It looks to be an Action RPG. It incorporates player physical gestures to interact with the environment, much like how Okami does with its brush stroke gestures. There will be some 2D platforming moments based on vintage Disney cartoons, so it'll be a mish mash of various gameplay.

But in this case the player as Mickey must undo the damage done to the world through the use of paint thinner and other things.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
Not like them!

That's funny, the page you're linking to says it's a platformer. Does anyone even know what kind of game it is?

(And by the way, if it's a "mish mash" I have no interest at all. That never works.)
Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Does anyone even know what kind of game it is?
An epic game.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Not like them!

Oh, that clears it up then.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #9

I've just seen the early screenshots and it looks nothing like the concept art. Massive disappointment.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmaster View Post
I've just seen the early screenshots and it looks nothing like the concept art. Massive disappointment.
I disagree. You can't compare something when you are looking and two different sources. Right now, all of the in-game screenshots are from locations not seen in conceptual art yet.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #11
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Does anyone even know what kind of game it is?
The Gamespot version of the article compares it to Super Mario Galaxy. Therefore, I would assume, until more information comes out, that it will be a 3D action platformer.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
merely human

Epic Mickey: D!tto's Epiculous Trailer

Thought I'd share this. Love the music, so pretty.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #13
Banned User

Oh yea I will definitely buy this one...even though I don't really likje mickey but it's disney so what the hell! I've seen it at the nintendo presentation and it looks awesome so that's a must for me.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #14
It's Hard To Be Humble

Well, all I can say about it is, my wife owns a Wii, and I seriously think we need this game. Can't wait for it to be released.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #15

Look cool, need to buy a Wii.

Anyway, it is just me that hates the constant use of the word epic nowadays? jeez they use it for EVERITHING!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Klacks View Post
Anyway, it is just me that hates the constant use of the word epic nowadays? jeez they use it for EVERITHING!
Tell me about it!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
delusions of adequacy

I've seen reviews that pants it for being an interesting-ish story that's brought low by dull, repetitive levels, awkward controls and a terrible camera resulting in hand cramps.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #18

Yeah, there's definitely something special buried beneath the surface, it's just a shame it feels so damn clunky. I've been playing Donkey Kong Country Returns as well which is so much more polished that it's hard to go back to Epic Mickey. I love all the Disney history. Just feels like it could've been executed a whole lot better.