You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What are the 3 hardest games you've EVER PLAYED?!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #21
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
You know, I've been trying to get my hands on that game for years. There was one time a few years ago, on vacation in America, that I walked into a used game store and asked for Ikaruga, only to be told that the one copy they had had just been given to the person standing at the counter. I think that's the kind of challenge I'd enjoy.
[off topic]It's downloadable on XBOX Live for ~$10[/off topic]

My hardest games (that I've actually finished) would be:
1. Discworld
2. Contra
3. Zelda 2

My hardest games (that I've actually not finished) would be:
1. Ikaruga
2. Schizm
3. Gradius V
Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #22
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
There's a passage in Silent Hill 5 in which you must pass through several floors, fighting a large amount of difficult to kill 4-legged monsters with swords as legs, plus a couple of nurses who can insta-kill you. I hated that part.
Yeah, that part was brutal, and there are dozens of moments like that in the game. It seems like they were compensating for the lack of difficulty in the first four games by making this one ridiculously hard. The second boss you fight, that giant doll thing, is easily one of the most frustrating moments I've ever had playing a game. And the weird thing about the difficulty in the game is the fact that it gets easier as it goes along. If you manage to survive the first half without breaking your controller, you'll zoom past the second half because the enemies get so much easier and they give you way more supplies. I still really liked the game but it may be the only Silent Hill I never replay simply because I don't want to deal with the insane difficulty again.

I'd also agree with Discworld as everyone else has been saying. I played that when it first came out, before the days of walkthroughs on the internet, and I can safetly say that even if I had put 10,000 hours into it, I never would've been able to finish it. Some of those puzzles required leaps of logic no brain was made to make.

I also can't talk about difficult games without mentioning Stuntman, which is still probably the most frustrating and completely unrewarding game I've ever played. The game boils down to you continually replaying the same driving sequence over and over again, making you restart as soon as you make the tiniest of errors, and then giving you nothing in return as a token of achievement. Imagine if you were playing Gran Turismo and they forced you to redo the race every time you made the tiniest of mistakes and you have an idea of how pointlessly hard and frustrating this game was.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Yeah, that part was brutal, and there are dozens of moments like that in the game. It seems like they were compensating for the lack of difficulty in the first four games by making this one ridiculously hard. The second boss you fight, that giant doll thing, is easily one of the most frustrating moments I've ever had playing a game. And the weird thing about the difficulty in the game is the fact that it gets easier as it goes along. If you manage to survive the first half without breaking your controller, you'll zoom past the second half because the enemies get so much easier and they give you way more supplies. I still really liked the game but it may be the only Silent Hill I never replay simply because I don't want to deal with the insane difficulty again.
Yeah I remember... at that point you had boosted your stamina quite a lot, and you had plenty of ammo making the game easier. But in the hotel you pretty much have an ammopack and an axe, and you have to get through bugs (annoying), chase down like two postcards, kill 4-5 needlers and 3 nurses, and all that in one sitting, unless you returned half through all the way back down to the savepoint... which I eventually did. On the good side, I got extremely good at killing needlers after that.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
[off topic]It's downloadable on XBOX Live for ~$10[/off topic]
Thanks for the tip, but I don't have an XBox.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #25
Random

Metal gear solid - I didn't knew 1 word in english when i played it, me and my friend had a lot of problems to finish it. Just like trying finish a japanese game today, hehehe!

Grim fandango and Gabriel knight 1- I got stuck everywhere on these games. Had to turn to game hints sites o lot of times!

I think adventure game is a hard style of gameplay i usualy keep stuck at some part of the game. Just finished 1 or 2 games without hints site help.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #26
the midnight rambler

I remember playing Discworld when it came out and I agree with everyone here. It's the hardest adventure game I've ever played but was still a lot of fun walking around Ankh Morpork.
Spoiler:
I can't remember whether I managed to overcome these puzzles without a walkthrough but the puzzle where you had to bungee jump off the clock tower was pure evil and the bit where butterflies in L-space turned to water... !? wtf.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 AM   #27

One of the hardest games i've ever played was Captain Claw.
(I'll think about the other two.)
A really hard game,but quite addictive.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #28

After I finished Trauma Centre for the DS my hands kept shaking for the rest of the day, but finally beating it felt great. I tried to replay it again recently, but I got stuck halfway through the last chapter...

Also, I've had Ikaruga for 5 years, and I still haven't beaten it on Easy Mode without using any continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I think that's the kind of challenge I'd enjoy.
Have you ever heard of...

The Touhou series?

They're a series of japanese games for PC known as "bullet hell" shoot-em-ups, which basically means there's a ridiculous amount of bullets to dodge at once. The amazing thing is that the graphics, music and gameplay is completely done by one person, known as ZUN (or Team Shanghai Alice). Oh, and they're insanely hard and beautiful.

They're kinda expensive to import, but you can get free demos of the first 3 levels of each game (and all 4 difficulties) >>here!<<

Hmm, that sounded like a sales pitch... Nevermind, they're good games, and amazingly difficult too!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #29
Pixel Clicker

Yes, I'd have to say Riven was extremely hard; though that waffle puzzle wasn't that bad, except by the time I got to it, my brain was so fried from doing other puzzles that I gave up for a few days. I think coming back to it with a clean mind made it easier to solve.

I'd say that the hardest game for me to beat (not necessarily play) is Half Life. Most of the game is actually pretty easy to play through, but the final boss took boss fights to a ridiculous level. I think my brother and I spent a good 2 hours trying to figure out how to beat this thing. We eventually went online to see how.

Angry Video game nerd has tons of old console games that are ridiculously hard to play and beat; some of them are impossible to beat. Karate Kid comes to mind.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #30

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - now for me this was one hard game.....but a good game I really enjoyed also!!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #31

Ninja Gaiden. That game is insane and it actually won an award for one one of the must difficult games ever created. Everything else is a breeze in comparison.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The bosses in that game, especially the uber soldat, were outrageous.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #32

Relevent to the thread: my selections would be TEMUJIN and Byzantine; the Betrayal.

Unsolicited personal opinion: Adventure games are not something to be "beaten". Far too many of them could have printed on the box, "bet you won't be able to get through this one on your own"!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #33

I've got my first PC back in 1997. and two PC games I've played first were Broken Sword II and Tomb Raider 2. In each of them I was stuck so many times because I was a total newbie. Plus, I didn't have an internet connection back then, so I couldn't consult any walkthrough.

But the two most difficult games I've played so far are probably Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Commandos 2: Men of Courage. When it comes to Hitman, I'm a huge fan of the complete series, and each of the games is difficult and challenging in it's own way (that is, if you play them like you should - silently). But Silent Assassin is IMO the hardest so far, because of very harsh AI response. So completing the missions with the highest rank is not an easy job.

The same goes for the Commandos series (minus Commandos Strike Force). Although Commandos 2 is my favourite installment in the series and it's notoriously difficult, now I think that the first ones are even harder. I've started playing them a few days ago (never played them so far) and was suprised how tough they are, even to me who played Commandos 2 & 3 many times before. Maybe this is the reason, because many things you can do in the later games weren't yet introduced in the first two, so it's difficult to accustom to this.