You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What would you like to see as an MMORPG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
J.H
Frak.

Default What would you like to see as an MMORPG?

I was watching Tales From Earthsea earlier and was thinking how fun it would be to play an MMORPG based on this world.

Also I think a Discworld MMORPG would be good, but it would have to be based more on questing and storylines than fighting everyone for it to work IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of MMORPG's although I've being playing WoW quite a lot recently, but I just wondered what other worlds would you like to see one based in?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

I was about to say "Otherland", but then I saw this. Apparently I'm not the only one with ingenious ideas.

It will probably suck though.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Welsh Dude

I don't really know how it would work and nor am I even a big fan but I'd love to see a Harry Potter MMORPG.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

Is Tales from Earthsea available anywhere?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
Is Tales from Earthsea available anywhere?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...rthsea&x=0&y=0
Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #6

I think a zombie MMORPG, if done right, would be amazing. I think it's the perfect setting for one.

I've seen it attempted a few times but it's always abandoned after a while (see exanimus). I hope to see a real developer give it a go.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

A The longest journey/Dreamfall MMORPG would be freaking awesome! That world just begs for lots and lots of exploring.
I believe I've read somewhere that they were considering making one in the future, correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
In an evening of July...

Explain to me how Dreamfall as an MMO would be a good idea. What would be the main gameplay element? Exploring? How much original content worth exploring could there be, and why would I want to explore an adventure game with strangers on the internet?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

A zombie MMORPG would be pretty nice - even if I'm not a fan of MMOs.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Explain to me how Dreamfall as an MMO would be a good idea. What would be the main gameplay element? Exploring? How much original content worth exploring could there be, and why would I want to explore an adventure game with strangers on the internet?
First of all, a MMORPG and an Adventure game are not the same thing, so you wouldn't be playing an adventure game online with other people, if that is what you meant.

And I believe the TLJ/Dreamfall universe is full of things you want to know, there are places in the games which are only mentioned, never seen. There are so many races living in the different lands and imagine being able to travel wherever you would like whenever you want in that massive world. I mean, you got Stark, Arcadia, The Winter and The Guardian's Realm.

Dreamfall introduced the fighting element, so that's something they could build on. Don't know what the main element would be, or if it would be connected to the actual story from TLJ & Dreamfall, but I imagine a much more free gaming experience than a linear Adventure game with a beginning, middle and ending.

Hope there are more people out there who share some of my opinions of wanting to explore the TLJ/Dreamfall universe in a deeper way.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Stalker of Britain

I could see a "The Longest Journey" universe MMO. It wouldn't be all exploring, but we could find out about all of the stuff only mentioned.

You could be your own original character, with your own problems and drives, going through this world, while deeper things are in works that you can see.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
First of all, a MMORPG and an Adventure game are not the same thing, so you wouldn't be playing an adventure game online with other people, if that is what you meant.
And I believe the TLJ/Dreamfall universe is full of things you want to know, there are places in the games which are only mentioned, never seen. There are so many races living in the different lands and imagine being able to travel wherever you would like whenever you want in that massive world. I mean, you got Stark, Arcadia, The Winter and The Guardian's Realm.

Dreamfall introduced the fighting element, so that's something they could build on. Don't know what the main element would be, or if it would be connected to the actual story from TLJ & Dreamfall, but I imagine a much more free gaming experience than a linear Adventure game with a beginning, middle and ending.

Hope there are more people out there who share some of my opinions of wanting to explore the TLJ/Dreamfall universe in a deeper way.
I agree that exploring that universum would be fun, but I don't see why it has to become an MMORPG. Every single MMORPG is based on grinding or competition, so Dreamfall Online will be an adventure plus lots of grinding. Why not just make more sequels to the original game and skip the RPG portion? I had the impression that most TLJ/Dreamfall fans despised the combat introduced in Dreamfall anyway.

I can't imagine even one fun thing Dreamfall Online could introduce gameplay-wise that couldn't be implemented in single player. Open world, lots of things to discover, more freedom than a conventional adventure, all that things you mentioned could as well be part of a single-player game.

Also, such an MMO would be a commerial failure, just take a look at URU Live. The adventure community is small as it is, the portion of it that'd be willing to regulary invest money in an online game would be even smaller. In order to attract other gamers, Dreamfall Online would have to directly compete with WoW/Eve, i.e. introduce the competetive elements, thus grinding, thus transforming Dreamfall into another WoW clone.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I could see a "The Longest Journey" universe MMO. It wouldn't be all exploring, but we could find out about all of the stuff only mentioned.

You could be your own original character, with your own problems and drives, going through this world, while deeper things are in works that you can see.
Problems and drives? I admit, this sounds awesome on paper, but the designers would have to come up with stuff that would be occupying you for months, even years. What kind of problems are you thinking of? Going to work, fighting with your boss, buying food, struggling with money problems? I believe we're playing this MMO already, and it's not all that much fun. Or maybe we'll be fighting those Dreamfall trolls day-in and day-out, let's see how much fun that'll be.

This is a fundamental problem with MMORPGs, and even though we are being promised something "completely different" with the upcoming Star Wars MMO, I am very sceptical. But at least BioWare has the money to create a huge, unique world with lots of stuff to do, Dreamfall would never have this kind of financial support.

I am strongly opposed to the idea of Dreamfall as an MMO because I'd hate to see Funcum or whoever pumping money in this project, neglecting the sequels, only to deliver something that'll die after a few months.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Problems and drives? I admit, this sounds awesome on paper, but the designers would have to come up with stuff that would be occupying you for months, even years. What kind of problems are you thinking of? Going to work, fighting with your boss, buying food, struggling with money problems? I believe we're playing this MMO already, and it's not all that much fun. Or maybe we'll be fighting those Dreamfall trolls day-in and day-out, let's see how much fun that'll be.

neglecting the sequels, only to deliver something that'll die after a few months.
First off, I would want sequels more than an MMO, true. I just thought it would be a nice alternative. And I wasn't think "real life" problems that we have all of the time, anyway, I was thinking more of going on our own separate adventures. Maybe the Venar are hacing political problems with the type of creature (I forget exactly what type it was) of the blue lady on the ship. (Bad Katie, I call myself a fan and can't even remember her name ). The character can travel across the lands, maybe get kidnapped, etc etc. Just an idea. But I whole-heartidly agree for sequels before or instead of an MMO.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #15

Quote:
I agree that exploring that universum would be fun, but I don't see why it has to become an MMORPG. Every single MMORPG is based on grinding or competition, so Dreamfall Online will be an adventure plus lots of grinding. Why not just make more sequels to the original game and skip the RPG portion? I had the impression that most TLJ/Dreamfall fans despised the combat introduced in Dreamfall anyway.

I can't imagine even one fun thing Dreamfall Online could introduce gameplay-wise that couldn't be implemented in single player. Open world, lots of things to discover, more freedom than a conventional adventure, all that things you mentioned could as well be part of a single-player game.

Also, such an MMO would be a commerial failure, just take a look at URU Live. The adventure community is small as it is, the portion of it that'd be willing to regulary invest money in an online game would be even smaller. In order to attract other gamers, Dreamfall Online would have to directly compete with WoW/Eve, i.e. introduce the competetive elements, thus grinding, thus transforming Dreamfall into another WoW clone.
Well, since the topic is about MMORPG's I just reacted to that (it's not a thread about which sequels you want to play) But I could easily see the TLJ/Dreamfall universe as just a massive online world, no grinding and levelling and slaying monsters.
I personally have no problem at all with the combat sequences, but that's probably because I'm used to all kinds of genres, not just Adventure.

I do agree with you about single player sequels, that's on top of my wishing list, I just want the story to continue, BUT, I wouldn't mind a game where I could decide for myself where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do in Stark or Arcadia or anywhere else.

And I don't necessarily think it would be a failure given Funcom's experience with MMO's, Anarchy Online and Age of Conan have quite a lot of players don't they? Isn't Funcom's current project The Secret World also an MMO game?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
In an evening of July...

I believe Age of Conan is struggling right now to reach critical mass to be able to continue (that's what I heard anyway last time I checked), but it is true, Funcom has experience in developing MMOs.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
delusions of adequacy

Phillip Reeve's Mortal Engines Quartet (known as Hungry City Chronicles in the US). A popular feature in most mmos these days is castle ownership/raids by clans. Imagine if your 'castle' was on wheels/tracks and could fight other castles and eat them...

It's part post apocalypse, part steampunk.

I would also love to try a more traditional victorian era steampunk MMO. Perhaps in the vein of Arcanum which had a wonderful game mechanic of natural rivalry between technology and magic. I prefer beliefs/ideas colliding rather than races.

Given MMO's nature and need for mass appeal, I've never really been fond of them since those that get up on their feet are almost invariably very traditional fantasy or sci fi settings.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #18

Quote:
I believe Age of Conan is struggling right now to reach critical mass to be able to continue (that's what I heard anyway last time I checked), but it is true, Funcom has experience in developing MMOs.
I see, but it received very good reviews, so they know how to make a good one. That is why I think it would be a nice idea for the future. I've never played an MMO before but I would definitely give "Dreamfall Online" a go! ^^
Old 08-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #19
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Also I think a Discworld MMORPG would be good, but it would have to be based more on questing and storylines than fighting everyone for it to work IMO.
If you've got Neverwinter Nights you could always try out this Ankh Morpork based scenario.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree