You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your recommendations for BEST Third-Person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Your recommendations for BEST Third-Person games

Guys, I am looking for third-person games with a good story and superb visuals for the pc.

Here's what I am looking for:

a) Character control / movement - something like Leon from Resident Evil 4 if its 3D OR like Disney's Hercules if its 2D

b) Good 3D/2D cutscenes

c) Very Good to Excellent graphics

d) Intriguing storyline (or funny like Monkey Island)

Looking for something within the Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Fantasy sub-genres.

Recently purchased Hardy Boys: Hidden Theft and finished it in under 3 hours, HATED the visuals, presentation, voice-overs, still-picture cut-scenes and the music. Please dont recommend me anything like that.

Awaiting responses...

Last edited by Legend; 08-20-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #2

Broken Sword series
Still Life
The Longest Journey, Dreamfall
Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

You could give 'Black Mirror' a try; the atmosphere more than makes up for its flaws.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

I think you would enjoy;

Dreamfall, Broken Sword & Still life, as mentioned.

I'd like to add:

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
Perry Rhodan
Culpa Innata
Shadow of Destiny
Secret Files series
Runaway series

Haven't played RE4 or Hercules so I don't know about the movement in those.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #5

I would try Psychonauts. It features great graphics, cutscenes, storyline, etc. The later levels can get hard, but it is (overall) a fun and memorable experience. You might also try Giants Citizen Kubatu. The graphics were good (for their time) and the cutscenes can be hilarious.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Junior Mint

I don't know anything about Hercules, so I won't address any 2D games.

As for 3D, certainly Dreamfall fits your criteria. It is firmly rooted in adventure/sci-fi/fantasy, it has a decent third-person action-game control scheme, and it has an AMAZING story. The only problem is, there isn't a whole lot of gameplay. I'm pretty sure the cut scene time exceeds the gameplay time, and then, a lot of the "gameplay" is simply running from one locale to another. If this is a problem for you, I'd recommend skipping it.

Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon fits, too... it's similar in gameplay to Dreamfall, there is more actual gameplay, but some of the puzzles can get repetitive, and the story is good but not great (and gets a little silly at times).

If you're looking for more "action" in your games, my best recommendation is Beyond Good & Evil. It has elements of adventure games in it, but it is more of an action game. It uses the same game engine as the Prince of Persia series. It is 6 years old, so the graphics are a little dated, but the art style may make you forget this fact. One of the best story lines I've ever seen in a game, and great dialogue. Plus, there is a huge array of different types of gameplay; it combines exploration, platforming, stealth, combat, racing, inventory puzzles, and even has some FPS and RPG elements at times.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #7

I am definitely going to try the following titles:

Dream Fall
Indigo Prophecy
Broken Sword

* a friend tricked me into watching Still Life's ending cutscene on Youtube which never mentioned anything in the title, so I am not looking fwd to that title now, *sigh*

friends, cant live with them, cant live without them.. lol

any more recommendations brothers?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #8

Get Deadspace and you will might forget RE4.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Try Beyond Good and Evil from Ubisoft. It is one of my favorite third-person games ever, and it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful universe, lovely characters, great gameplay and one of the most lovable human-like heroines. It's a masterpiece.

Firefox rules
Old 08-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Get Deadspace and you will might forget RE4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Try Beyond Good and Evil from Ubisoft. It is one of my favorite third-person games ever, and it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful universe, lovely characters, great gameplay and one of the most lovable human-like heroines. It's a masterpiece.

Added both of these to the list. Hunting used titles and sales on my
local Craigslist and Kijiji websites.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #11

If you've never played Beyond Good and Evil, you're missing out big time. Don't just stand there, go play it now!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Added both of these to the list. Hunting used titles and sales on my
local Craigslist and Kijiji websites.
Sheesh... when *I* mention Beyond Good & Evil, you decide against it, but when others mention it, all of a sudden it's on your list? LOL! (just kidding)

Anyway, if Dreamfall is on your list, keep in mind that you can get The Longest Journey and Dreamfall (its sequel) for $25 on Steam, or just Dreamfall for $20. I don't know if it's available anywhere cheaper than that. I bought the Game of the Year edition (which includes both) in a store for $30.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
merely human

Excellent graphics: Assassin's Creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
a) Character control / movement - something like Leon from Resident Evil 4 if its 3D OR like Disney's Hercules if its 2D
I have zero interest in the RE games so can't help you there.

Quote:
b) Good 3D/2D cutscenes
Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto IV (NSFW, language), Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Fable II, Assassin's Creed.

c) Very Good to Excellent graphics

See above.

Quote:
d) Intriguing storyline (or funny like Monkey Island)

Looking for something within the Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Fantasy sub-genres.
Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, Jade Empire, Grand Theft Auto IV, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil, ICO (PS2 only).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-22-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #14
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l-jazz View Post
perry rhodan
+1

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #15

Added: Beyond Good n Evil
Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Sheesh... when *I* mention Beyond Good & Evil, you decide against it, but when others mention it, all of a sudden it's on your list? LOL! (just kidding)
i didnt lol

Last edited by stepurhan; 08-27-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #17

I joined this site to specifically post on this topic and I got screwed. My original post was a long one which took over an hour to write with a wealth of information and I was logged out while writing due to a session time out. I logged back in to post and the site said I needed to reload the page, but when I did I lost EVERYTHING. God, I was so pissed. To prevent this kind of thing from happening again, thus saving me from punching a hole in a wall, I'm going to dramatically shorten my post and take out a lot of info related to plot on the titles I will be providing.

I'm going to give a brief description of gameplay on each title and then provide links to articles on Gamespot.com so you can look up more on plot and other information for each title. I'm an aspiring game designer and lifelong gamer who prefers third person action/adventure titles. I understand adventure gaming focusing largely more on exploration and complex puzzles where you have to seek out obscure items or information, know how to combine and use the items is a popular medium for a lot of people, but I don't care for those heavily puzzle oriented adventure games with mind bending challenges where the process of solving them is more complicated than the solution itself. I find the action oriented games which use common sense in a logical sense more enjoyable, but still provide enough of the adventure element in practical environmental puzzles with a mission based style to be satisfying. All of the titles I'm providing have very good to astounding graphics so if you're liking for amazing visuals they're sure to be aesthetically pleasing enough for you.

So here's my list:

(1) Fallout 3 - One of my all time favorites now, phenomenal game. People will list this as a FPS, but you can easily switch between the first and third person perspective with the mouse wheel allowing you to choose how you want to play. This is a shooter game with an RPG element where you will have stat attributes [strength, agility, endurance, perception] and skill points which will affect your character's performance in combat. Skill points will be used to upgrade skill categories such as melee weapons, big guns, small guns, science, lockpicking, repair, etc. A high skill in science per say will make your character more proficient in computer hacking and more damaging against robotic enemies in combat. Repair will affect your character's ability to fix and maintain his own weapons. This game has a very well written dramatic plot, features characters you will grow attached to, and has a larger than life epic atmosphere, but what really makes it outstanding is the interactivity of the game world. The choices you make in dialogue and how you approach each mission will affect the world around you thus making you feel you are indeed a part of it. The game has highly detailed and stunning 3D graphics. Also features the voice talent of Malcom McDowell (President Eden). This is my most recommended title and should not be missed. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...result;title;0
(2) Batman: Arkham Asylum - PC release date: September 15th. My second favorite new title and the most amazing Batman title ever conceived. Played this one on the console. This game has some of the most amazing visuals of any current title, the graphics are incredible. This is an action oriented game emphasizing hand to hand combat and high combos, but this isn't a superficial action run of the mill beat 'em up game like previous batman installments. The large scale and interactive environments will provide enough of stealth tactics as well so combat will depend largely on how you approach each situation and your style of play. In addition to the action packed combat where you will be fighting a crapload of baddies you will use high tech forensics to solve crime scenes, you will have platformer sequences where batman will have to use his agile abilities to climb and shimmey along surfaces to traverse treacherous landscapes, and you will have a number of bat gadgets at your disposal which you will upgrade with experience earned (certain gadgets such as the line launcher and the batclaw won't become available until certain points in the game). Do note this game isn't based on the modernized Batman from the movies. In terms of appearance, art style, and character portrayal this is a contemporary reimagining of the 1940's Batman from the comics. The plot is based partly on the Arkham Asylum graphic novel and the Arkham Asylum: Living Hell comic series. There's also a large minigame full of puzzles setup by none other than the Riddler where he challenges you to find all the trophies, taped patient interviews involving the key players essential to the plot, and Chronicles of Arkham hidden around the island. Your reward for finding all of this is unlocking bios and fact sheets for the essential characters in the Batman universe from past to present and beautiful 3D character trophies you can marvel at in a gallery in the main menu. I loved the character depiction and their costumes. You shouldn't pass up on this one. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ba...result;title;2
UPDATE: I've posted screenshots in sets on flickr for anyone who is interested in seeing them. You can check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/genocidemajik/sets/
(3) Resident Evil 5 - PC release date: September 15th. I'm a huge RE fan, people are always knocking the series, but I personally have always loved the plot, the complicated characters and their dynamical relationships and how they struggle to retain their humanity while not succumbing to the evil which surrounds them, both literally and figuratively, in this violent and brutal world they live in full of death and corporate espionage. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/re...result;title;0
(4) Thief: Deadly Shadows - a very fun stealth adventure game. Although if you haven't played the previous titles, Thief and Thief II: The Metal Age then you won't fully grasp the characters and the dynamics which bind them together. This can be resolved by researching and reading up on the plots of the other titles on wikipedia. This game doesn't have a strong close quarters combat so it focuses on more stealth assassination or just sneaking past enemies because you play the role of a thief and exposure usually means death or just makes it that much harder to get to a critical area of the level. Garret, the master thief with the mechanical eye, is a beast. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/th...result;title;0
(5) The Legacy of Kain series - a great action/adventure game with a phenomenal epic gothic plot. The complicated amoral characters, the practical envionmental puzzles, and the complex plot which spans both time and history make for a very fun gaming experience. At first it's hard to grasp the full implications of what is really happening in the overall plot when jumping from title to title in the series, but once you understand the key players, their involvement and how their actions and choices affect this game's universe it's sheer mastery. Many gaming sites have said that the plot is ingenius and one of the most well written for any game title. http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?...m_clk=gssearch
(6) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Release date: 03/26/2010. I'm also a huge CV fan and this new project looks AMAZING. This is not the Castlevania you know from your childhood, it's a complete rebirth of the series reinventing everything from the gameplay mechanics to the adult oriented plot to the graphics from the ground up. It's a bit controversial of whether or not there will be a PC port of this title. Most websites list this as a console exclusive title, but I have found two websites which list a PC rendition for this game. The first is Play.com where you can also preorder a PC copy of this game. Now, play.com has been known to spread bad information before and if I were to assess whether or not there will be a PC rendition based solely on the information from play.com then I would say no. However, I found reference to a PC port of this CV title on Voodoo Extreme 3D (ve3d.com) which is owned, operated by, and affiliated with the IGN network. IGN is a very respectable gamer's site when it comes to information and the lowdown on games so it's the second site more so than the first which has me hopeful for a PC port. I really hope there will be a PC port because I really, really want to play this, this game looks like it's going to be incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8F0dQM1DI <======I've watched this four times and still has me drooling! It should also be noted there's a video on youtube of the trailer's debut at E3 '09 preceded by a speech from Hideo Kojima and this trailer had the crowds ROARING with approval and anticipation.
(7) Highlander - Release date: TBA 2009. There isn't much information on this since it's still in development, but you can find previews and images on gamespot. It looks like it's going to be good so I'm keeping my eye on it. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/hi...=result;title;

Last edited by Blackheart; 09-14-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: tigthened up the wording
Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #18

Off the top of my head, Some good games i have played & enjoyed, and tick some of the boxes in your list....

Morrowind
Oblivion
Gothic3
KOTOR 1 & 2
The Witcher
Dead Space
Mass Effect
Thief Trilogy
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Fahrenheit
Mafia
Fallout 3
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #19

How about Syberia? I've played Syberia 1 and 2, these games are really excited to play with beautiful, lively and vivid images and a moving storyline within it. I'm eagerly looking forward to Part 3.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
How about Syberia? I've played Syberia 1 and 2, these games are really excited to play with beautiful, lively and vivid images and a moving storyline within it. I'm eagerly looking forward to Part 3.
Sorry, but I think the 2nd game was it...as far as I know.