You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your recommendations for BEST Third-Person games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Thief Trilogy
Actually only Thief: Deadly Shadows allowed you to play in third person perspective, and they did a pretty good job of it. The first 2 Thief games were entirely in first person.

I also recommend the Splinter Cell games, particularly the original, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Splinter Cell: Double Agent, if you are in the mood for tactical, gadget-enhanced stealth with a global political theme.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

Actually only Thief: Deadly Shadows allowed you to play in third person perspective, and they did a pretty good job of it. The first 2 Thief games were entirely in first person.

I also recommend the Splinter Cell games, particularly the original, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Splinter Cell: Double Agent, if you are in the mood for tactical, gadget-enhanced stealth with a global political theme.
Correct, but for me there is No point just playing Thief Deadly shadows because it offers a 3rd person view option, you have to play all 3 to get the feel of the games/characters roots. Besides, the Thief series comes boxed togher these days so cheap, whats the harm.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
Sorry, but I think the 2nd game was it...as far as I know.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1874
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
Oh.....

Don't pay any attention to this guy <-----------
Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Correct, but for me there is No point just playing Thief Deadly shadows because it offers a 3rd person view option, you have to play all 3 to get the feel of the games/characters roots. Besides, the Thief series comes boxed togher these days so cheap, whats the harm.
You're right, there's isn't any harm in getting the Thief box set and I highly recommend it as a compelling, well written trilogy with an epic plot much larger than what you see on the surface. The problem with recommending the first two is the graphics.

Deadly Shadows, the third game in the series, has a far superior graphics engine compared to its predecessors and is on par in terms of visual quality with other games from around 2005. On the other hand, the graphics engines in Thief and Thief II: The Metal Age, didn't age well...most people simply wouldn't want to go back and play them because the graphics are pretty outdated. People nowadays seem to care less about quality and more about something pleasing to the eye...if it isn't aesthetically pleasing then they don't want to play it regardless of how strong it may be in other areas of its production values.

It's a shame that such a superficial attitude is predominantly strong in most gamers since games usually marketed for graphics lack compelling gameplay and real substance. Despite lacking the great visuals of contemporary titles the first two Thief titles have a lot more to offer than just eye candy. They have intriguing characters with genuinely believable personalities, dynamical multiple subplots correlated into an amazing larger story, solid gameplay with effective stealth and much more.

If you can get past the age old graphics then I would recommend playing the series in order. If graphics are too important to someone then I would recommend researching the plots of the first two titles on wikipedia so the player can get a rough idea of the overall plot (although it won't be as effective if they don't play the first two) and jump right into Deadly Shadows. Playing the first two isn't necessary before getting into Deadly Shadows, but to really understand the bigger picture of the game's universe an understanding of the first two titles is needed. Not to mention the player will miss a lot of themes taken in context to the plot and ties in from its predecessors.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #26
YAZ
Junior french member

BEST Third-Person avdenture games :
- Syberia 1 & 2
- Grim Fandango
- The Longest Journey
- The Moment of Silence
- Overclocked : Thérapie de choc
- A Vampyre Story
- Post Mortem/Still Life/Sill Life 2
- Ceville