You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (the proper SMT we've been waiting for)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII
Default Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (the proper SMT we've been waiting for)

As I don't see any hype for it around here I thought id post some info about it. This game really is to me a must buy no matter what! the DS has such an amazing library that keeps rising!

Incase people don't know about the Megami Tensei series, it is a series that actually started as a book that ended up getting both a film and a videogame adaption ,but in the end it manage to spin its own original series. It is a dark macabre themed rpg series where demons have taken over the world, where the player is given the choice to side with different groups which alters the ending. The appeal has been with the choices you make within the game and being able to negotiate with the demons in the game that can even join your party.
The series is a very fresh take on the rpg series and its mythology uses elements from christiniaty/satanism/hinduism (very controversial in the past). Afterall it gets tiring with the same happy bright folkloric/DnD rpgs that have been dominant over the genre.

if you have time and patience I recomend you to read this well written article about the series!
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm

From the info I have gathered, this game will have around 300 demons (fear not there will be new monster designs!) and it will be in first person like the classical SMT games. Apparently the enemies are animated which is a definetly improvement over Etrian Oddyssey.

They seem to be using the Etrian Oddyssey engine, as I imagined that those games were a testing ground for a future Shin Megami Tensei ds game.

some "stolen" info from neogaf

Quote:

Title: Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release Date: Oct 8 2009 (Japan)
Price: 6279yen

Staff:
Producer/Original Concept/Character and Devil Design: KANEKO THE DEVIL PAINTER
Director: Eiji Ishida (Chief Designer for SMT3/Raidou/Raidou2)
Scenario: Shogo Isogai (SMT2/SMTif/DevilSummoner/SoulHackers/SMT3/Raidou/Trauma series)
Composer:Shoji Meguro

Info:
- Some other dimension has opened up in the South Pole
- The dimensional space is called "Schwarz Birth" or something
- The characters wear some scifi suit called Demonica Suits, and get upgraded applications along the way
- Top screen = first person orgasm of the SMT goodness
- Botton screen = map + support info
- 300+ demons
- Negotiation systems, fusion, etc, are all in the game

* Some pictures and official art so far

* Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFGn8RJHfUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIpBa5O3now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clNPdTlGOA

Seems like Atlus are putting their best teams on this game!

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 07-27-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #2

Well, I don't read Japanese, but cool

I liked the Death Note series, with seems a lot like this, so it might be fun...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
Well, I don't read Japanese, but cool

I liked the Death Note series, with seems a lot like this, so it might be fun...
You don't have to read japanese to enjoy this series, all the entries after the third game including the Persona spin off games have been translated to english. (not to forget the fan translation patches for the older games)
Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
Incase people don't know about the Megami Tensei series, it is a series that actually started as a book that ended up getting both a film and a videogame adaption ,but in the end it manage to spin its own original series.
I heard great things about SMT: Nocturne but the only one i've played was SMT: Digital Devil Saga a few years ago and i must say it bored me to death. Maybe I should give it another try..
Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
I heard great things about SMT: Nocturne but the only one i've played was SMT: Digital Devil Saga a few years ago and i must say it bored me to death. Maybe I should give it another try..
Well Digital Devil Saga had a lot of design flaws, (grind fest/bad dungeon designs) but I loved the game due to its customizable mantra system which felt better than the stupid sphere grid in ff 10. Plus the story and mythology was great. It made me a fan! I am sure Nocturne had better design choices.

Then in the end it might not be a series for you, because afterall its a hardcore traditional rpg. If you aren't into those or see its value there is no point trying the things again.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
Well Digital Devil Saga had a lot of design flaws, (grind fest/bad dungeon designs) but I loved the game due to its customizable mantra system which felt better than the stupid sphere grid in ff 10. Plus the story and mythology was great. It made me a fan!
And it was grey

EDIT: Here's the new trailer for SMT: Strange Journey:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ja...-strange/53451

Last edited by TiAgUh; 07-29-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
handsome

A friend just gave me SMT: Devil Survivor for the DS.
I've only played 5min of the game but dang they do love to talk (and eeew to the characters design). I'll give it a try when i'm sick of FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift and Rhythm Heaven (which im loving both ).