You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 04:30 AM   #1

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default City of Ember

Adaptations haven't been incredibly popular but they're still around (as the angry cartoon lady advertising 'Emerald City: Confidential' tells me and, ofc, the Indiana Jones games, way back when. I imagine there are others). TellTale have so far adapted a comic, a web toon and a stop motion film series.

I imagine many would far prefer original titles but I don't mind playing adaptations myself.

I've only just seen the film 'City of Ember' (I know it was a kids film but I was bored, god help me), having never read the books, and I couldn't really escape the feeling that I was watching an adventure game in play. And, being as it seemed so much like one I'm inclined to think that an adventure game based on it might be quite good.

Obviously with the puzzles already solved in the movie or in the books the exact plot probably wouldn't make the best adaptation, so maybe one set in amber a few years before the beginning of the film?

What do you guys think?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Banned User

It was a kids film? I thought the trailer said otherwise.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Stalker of Britain

I used to be a page at a library, putting away books, and I shelved the "City of Ember" books, which were under the juvenille section.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Banned User

And I bet the Golden Compass was filed under Juvenille right?

Even though the protagonists are kids, doesn't make the film perfect for kids....yet, I guess this film is for kids. Oh well. Book FTW.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

I actually had the same feeling when I watched it, very good adaptable story for an adventure game.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #6

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
And I bet the Golden Compass was filed under Juvenille right?
Yeah I read that with high expectations (it's proper title is 'Northern Lights', btw, but our titles need to be changed for some other countries, apparently) and was actually surprised it was a scholastic affair. I found it easy enough to read the whole trilogy (wish I hadn't bothered, tbh) but I think it might be a little hard going for the age range I've seen it aimed at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
It was a kids film? I thought the trailer said otherwise.
I didn't even see a trailer her in the UK. Watching it I did get the feeling it was supposed to be a 'family' film, but there've been a fair few of those I've really enjoyed in the last few years. (I watched 'The Incredibles' assuming it was for children, but it's still not the kind of thing you can talk about with your mates because you know they'll berate you for watching a kid’s movie).

Thinking about it I think it might have been a better film if made in an anime style (if they recruited the artists from Avatar, maybe). It could have had a grander than the 'live action' (anybody else feel a bit odd when calling a non animated, CGI or stop motion film, with real actors, "live action" when it's actually recorded action that couldn't possible be shown live?) sets gave it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I actually had the same feeling when I watched it, very good adaptable story for an adventure game.
Glad you agree

For anybody who doesn't know what I mean (or just didn't see the film or read the book); there were a lot of times where, to get an item they needed, the characters would have to arrange situations in order to make said item obtainable, or they'd have to figure out where they were going by realising
Spoiler:
the stylised border of the letter that was guiding them (which was round, for reasons they couldn't ascertain) turned out to be a picture of the room they needed to get to which also pointed out what they needed to do when they got there.
Things like that. And because people scavenged items they needed (though they weren't really supposed to) it would mean that taking items they needed (or might look useful sometime later on) would fit in with the way characters in Adventure Games tend to do this anyway (even though it's not something people would usually do in real life).

At one point I actually thought that, perhaps, Jeanne DuPrau might have actually intended that the story should be an AG as opposed to a book or movie.