I'm new to Team Fortress 2… now what? - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I'm new to Team Fortress 2… now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Game Creator Hobbyist

Default I'm new to Team Fortress 2… now what?

I bought TF2, despite this not really being my type of game. I like the look of it (of course) and I got it fairly cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try. But this adventure gamer find the game completely overwhelming. The game doesn't seem to have any tutorials or anything else aimed at the new player. I found how to look at a game being played, and don't think I'd last a second if I'd try to join in. Most likely I'd just make people annoyed and get asked to leave.

So, any of you have any tips for a newbie, or should I accept that this is not a game for me to play and just look at the pretty pictures?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Speaking as someone who manages to plumb new depths every time I play TF2 (I swear, one day I'll actually be good at a game that I enjoy playing), I can virtually guarantee that you won't be told to leave.

Dive on in. It's the only way to learn. Sadly.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #3

There are the videos that usually show before you join a server which tell you a few things and the "Meet the ..." videos give a pretty good idea of the general attributes of each class.

Other than that just diving in is indeed your best bet. I've played it for a good bit and I still suck pretty badly at most classes.

Actually, one tip: try out each class for a little while and see which ones suit you best. If a particular class doesn't work for you don't feel obligated to pay your dues or something like that. Me, I like the Spy, the Sniper, the Heavy and the Pyro.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
In an evening of July...

I felt like you do - tried the game during the free weekend a few times, couldn't make any sense of it. It's very fast, there is waay too much stuff going on for a newcomer, and sucking hard at a multiplayer game is no pleasant experience for you or your teammates.

I finally gave up on it and didn't buy it for exactly those reasons, I prefer something much simpler - like Battlefield Heroes for example.

In fact (thread hijack!), I recommend you to try out BFH if you get sick of TF2, it has only three classes, much simpler game mechanics and a similar art direction. Besides, it is still in beta, so everyone sucks at it PM me if you need a beta key.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
I changed my title

I'm happy to know that I'm not alone in sucking at TF2. I swear everyone is twice as fast and twice as accurate as I am.
The only class I'm ok at is Pyro, and it's considered a noob class.

Anyway, here are some tips that might help you feel less overwhelmed:
- Watch "How to play" videos on Youtube. Especially for Spy and Engineer since they can be somewhat confusing when you start.
- Play on an empty server at first. That way you can learn the maps and some of the class skills without getting killed.
- Keep watching people play. See what the players at the top of the board are doing.
- View the Commentary. It has a bit about each class.
- If you have the patience, go here: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

Thanks for the hints. I'll give it a try.