You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Dragon Age:Origins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #61
merely human

EIW!!!! BIG ASS SPIDERS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I do want to play Dragon Age because Bioware is one of my favorite developers. However, after watching a couple of great Video Reviews, I'm worried that the Combat is going to be too hard.

The Voice acting and the storytelling is the main reason why I want to play the game.

How does the combat seem to you Intrepid?
I'm playing it on Hard difficulty (console version). It's not that bad. It looks to be a matter of mindful tactics. Of course, I hadn't set up a party yet. Will post more in time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #62
Random

Ohh finally i have my copy!

I've just created a rogue. His name is Lucius i'm playing on Normal mode, still in the beggining.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #63

My PC copy arrived today, finally after a long day i can now install it & try it out I read the maual, and there are allot of character choices, i am going to choose a Rogue, maybe an Assasain type
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #64
delusions of adequacy

I've been wasting many hours as I normally do, trying out character builds. There are some that just don't seem to fit well with the origin stories though. I made a dark skinned 'Lando Calrissian' look alike, human noble. I guess I was adopted though because my parents and brother where all caucasian. It just felt weird when my father kept calling me 'pup', too.

This story line really calls for a self important, european pretty boy who alternates between chasing skirt and hiding behind it

I rather enjoyed the mage origin story, but will probably hold off till I activate the extra content and play with Shale etc with that play through. There's no real conflicts there based on your choice of race (other than dwarf obviously).

I'm going to try the two elven origins next and leave the dwarves till last. Still hunting for my first play through.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #65
Random

Oh my god, i think i'm becoming a rpg fan. Mediecal RPGs never turned me on before, except for risen, but this game is really cool. Actually I'm addicted to it, played around 7 hours straight yesterday!

By the way, I'm at Lotherin, just released a new party member.
Spoiler:
I wonder if will be safe to walk with a, apparently, "serial killer" on my team. Hehehe.

So what about you guys, the game matched your expectations?

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #66

As for DLC, BIoware has really experienced what must be a first for them. THey were NOT, and I repeat NOT ready, to the thousands of people, trying to redeem their code for the DLC - all at once. Hence, they've opened up the old DA forums (again); the new social site forums are opened too.

Talking about DLC, if you play a Dwarf Noble and you have DLC....and wondering why you don't suddenly have it. Here's the reason why:

Spoiler:
As a Dwarf Noble, you'll loose your gear, at a certain point during the origin. This includes any DLC items you might have.

Luckilu there's a way to fix that:

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/v…orum=145&sp=30

Please find the from OriginalBaern to learn how to stip this from occuring.

Bioware have, via a dev. acknowledget this problem. They're looking for way to fix this - and apologizes a lot - at least according to Nathan Frederick.

For some reason the console versions are not affected:

Sydney Tang, another dev. from Bioware, wrote:

Quote:
I am told that this bug was fixed for the console versions of the DLC items. The issue was found and fixed while testing the console port of the DLC, but the Windows DLC had been finalized by then.
Now to speak about the game (which I don't sadly have )

If you think the game might be too hard for you combat-wise, then you can turn down the difficulty to easy; no shame in that is there. Just learn the ropes of the game, how the tactics and strategy works. If you find yourself way in over you head, flee, flee and flee --- and go out and become stronger.
And come back again...and smash, smash, and smash..

Rumours are appearing both on the DA forums and the new Social Site forums that this game won't let you do any quests if fail your persuasin check or if you (the main character) isn't of the rigght class say a rogue or mage?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #67

My copy arrived today, i've been playing for a couple of hours. I'm enjoying it, and runs really smooth on my PC.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #68
merely human

Very mild spoiler...

So, erm......we just barely survived the events in the Tower of the Mages - Alistair, Shale, Wynne, and Wynter (that is, me, the Mage). It was awesome! I mean, that entire experience in the tower alone felt obscenely epic! Whew!

And we still hadn't fought our first dragon!

I LOOOOOOVE WYNNE!!! She's the polar opposite of Morrigan, natch, but there's something about her that's incredibly comforting and grounding. It's almost like I want to lay my tired head on her shoulder after all that happened and I'm so worn out (Morrigan, of course, would squirm and shove your head off and make some snarky comment).

Also, just as Alistair and Morrigan are pure entertainment with their verbal sparring when you have them in your party, Lelianna and Morrigan are hilarious together! I should pair up Wynne and Morrigan and see what happens. LOL!

Oh, and Shale is damn wicked! It's fun to jab at him.

This the best writing!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #69
Psychonaut

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dr...xbox360-review Eurogamer hates Dragon Age (6/10 for 360 version)
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #70

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I've read their reviews, but - in comparison to others I read online - theirs seem to me a bit negatively biased.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dr...xbox360-review Eurogamer hates Dragon Age (6/10 for 360 version)
A bit low. But his problems are not actual game related, he gave an 8 for the PC version, its more about the port and controls.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #72
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
A bit low. But his problems are not actual game related, he gave an 8 for the PC version, its more about the port and controls.
What's his deal? I have no serious problems with it; I have the 360 version). If anything some PC gamers had minor issues and a few crashes, though I've read a patch was just issued.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #73
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
What's his deal? I have no serious problems with it; I have the 360 version). If anything some PC gamers had minor issues and a few crashes, though I've read a patch was just issued.
The PC version apparently has a lot more tactical features, such as the option to switch between OTS mode and isometric view. Every game reviewer is giving the PC version much higher marks than the console ports.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #74
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
The PC version apparently has a lot more tactical features, such as the option to switch between OTS mode and isometric view. Every game reviewer is giving the PC version much higher marks than the console ports.
I already knew that when I got my console version. I have no complaints. In fact, I don't need the isometric view at all. I can still pause the combat, switch from one party member to another and issue commands, then resume the action. If I wanted to I could even micromanage each member's specific behaviour patterns during combat, right down to who consumes a health poultice when and at what low health percentage in proportion to what other party members are doing at the moment. Yep, the tactical behaviour of your members can be as anal as you are. Works flawlessly.

I think the complaint about not having optional isometric views on the console versions disrespects the consoles and arbitrarily places the PC on some pedestal of perfection. That is unfair and insulting. The reality is that the consoles have their very own way of doing things irrespective of the PC precisely because it's an entirely different interface, a different way of experiencing gaming. In which case, why do consoles need to be subjected to demands as dictated by PC interface and experience?

Bioware seems to have made the console version of the game as good and efficient as they possibly could. They have extremely high standards given the quality of the oeuvre in the RPG genre. But of course, even that could never be immune to the snobbery of the arbitrary PC standards still being imposed by gamers and reviewers alike.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:21 AM   #75

Quote:
In which case, why do consoles need to be subjected to demands as dictated by PC interface and experience?
Well that happens all the time, but with inverted roles. Nowadays PC's are being subjected to demands dictated by console interfaces. Its refreshing that Bioware made two distinct versions.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #76
delusions of adequacy

Alistair just spit the dummy (literally almost, serious father issues) over my problem solving skills in Redcliff. I felt genuinely upset because I know I made the right decision (for my character) based on her origin (mage) and personal history with those involved, both individuals and organisations. He never offered any real solution of his own either, and then has the nerve to shout at me like that because of his own baggage!

I gave him a seriously killer gift right after, hoping to make him feel like a total heel for blowing up at me like that.

Yeah its almost that good, despite the crashes (PC version).

(My female mage)

The isometric view I enjoy, but its too much of a gimmick to be the defining reason to get the game on PC. The vertical angle is locked to be reminiscent of the infinity engine and I frequently wish I could tilt it to be more overhead.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #77
Junior Mint

Quote:
I already knew that when I got my console version. I have no complaints. In fact, I don't need the isometric view at all. I can still pause the combat, switch from one party member to another and issue commands, then resume the action. If I wanted to I could even micromanage each member's specific behaviour patterns during combat, right down to who consumes a health poultice when and at what low health percentage in proportion to what other party members are doing at the moment. Yep, the tactical behaviour of your members can be as anal as you are. Works flawlessly.

I think the complaint about not having optional isometric views on the console versions disrespects the consoles and arbitrarily places the PC on some pedestal of perfection. That is unfair and insulting. The reality is that the consoles have their very own way of doing things irrespective of the PC precisely because it's an entirely different interface, a different way of experiencing gaming. In which case, why do consoles need to be subjected to demands as dictated by PC interface and experience?

Bioware seems to have made the console version of the game as good and efficient as they possibly could. They have extremely high standards given the quality of the oeuvre in the RPG genre. But of course, even that could never be immune to the snobbery of the arbitrary PC standards still being imposed by gamers and reviewers alike.
Wow.

Well, I was addressing your question about why the Xbox version was getting such lower scores than the PC version, and the answer, at least in part, is because the PC version is more feature-filled. (I hear tell, also, that the graphics on the Xbox version aren't comparable to the other two, but I can't comment directly because I haven't played any of them yet.) Any reviewer worth a damn is going to give a higher score to a version that will likely appeal to a broader range of people. Just because you, personally, don't care about omitted features doesn't mean they aren't omitted.

And why so up in arms about review scores anyway? If you like the game just fine as is, then why give a rat's ass about someone else's opinion?

And, for the record, I think the PC is the optimal platform to play ANY game. PCs can do everything consoles can, and more; it just takes more know-how, and, sometimes, cash. Don't get your undies in a bunch just because people notice that certain games tend to be dumbed-down for consoles. As Roper Klacks mentioned, PC versions often get the same treatment.

Last edited by booB; 11-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #78
Random

I've just finished with the Circle tower. I'm going back flemeth's hut to do morrigan's "favour"...

Do somebody knows a good way to beat dragons? They're too hard!

Last edited by Denaron; 11-10-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #79
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
*snip*
Thanks for your opinion. My point is that the ascendancy of consoles to be a serious platform for complex games today and a very highly lucrative market worldwide has drawn resentment from many PC gamers. But that is the reality of a very competitive industry and I understand that reality. It's the consoles' turn to shine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Do somebody knows a good way to beat dragons? They're too hard!
What difficulty are you playing it on? And have you outfitted your party members with the very best gear and augmentations you can find? Are they at a higher level yet? And is your party well balanced, i.e. each member has a tight specialization that contributes to the overall strength of the party?

Generally when I come across a very powerful enemy I keep my Mage as far from the heat as possible in order to heal and support my tank. My tank is the one who draws the attack of the enemies, my Rogue either shoots the arrows or slices with double blades around the periphery of the fight and sneaks in damage, and since I currently play with two Mages (my character and Wynne) I keep them distant and use ranged spells and constantly magically heal my tank.

I ended up playing it like KOTOR, where I immediately switch to hold positions so I can individually relocate each party member to a strategic place and issue individual commands.

EDIT: Denaron, I forgot to mention a tip I procured from the Prima Strategy Guide to help you fight the dragon. The dragon is an Elite Boss, one of the most formidable enemies you'll face...

Quote:
Everyone stand back except the tank. Send your tank (like Alistair or Sten) in to pull as much threat as possible. When the dragon gets angry enough to unload its fire breath on the tank, have a Mage cast Force Field to shield the tank for the duration of the attack. Everyone else unloads high powered damage on the dragon while it concentrates on the invulnerable attack.
Also, I think the dragon is immune to any flame attack, or at least isn't damaged much. Therefore your best best is a powerful cold spell. Make sure to augment your tank's sword with icy crystals or cast an icy augmentation spell on it, like Cone of Cold or Blizzard. You should also boost every party member with some flame resistance in any way you can. Use any kind of item to try to reduce the dragon's Strength, Dexterity, and Consitution.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-09-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #80
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Alistair just spit the dummy (literally almost, serious father issues) over my problem solving skills in Redcliff. I felt genuinely upset because I know I made the right decision (for my character) based on her origin (mage) and personal history with those involved, both individuals and organisations. He never offered any real solution of his own either, and then has the nerve to shout at me like that because of his own baggage!

I gave him a seriously killer gift right after, hoping to make him feel like a total heel for blowing up at me like that.

Yeah its almost that good, despite the crashes (PC version).
Right? It's such a complex situation to make a decision on, more so than any previous Bioware game. I got a tip from another game on how to make a particular decision in Redcliffe that will satisfy Alistair, Lelianna, and Wynne, but by then it was too late. Wynter (my Mage) had made his choice and he must stick by it. So I have to make it up to those three companions with key gifts and more sympathetic conversation.

She's beautiful! Very Joan of Arc. She's actually the most beautiful out of all the female characters I've seen other people create for themselves. Good job!

Quote:
The isometric view I enjoy, but its too much of a gimmick to be the defining reason to get the game on PC. The vertical angle is locked to be reminiscent of the infinity engine and I frequently wish I could tilt it to be more overhead.
I have the X360 version. Naturally it's not as graphically refined as the PC version with everything cranked up, but I don't care, it still looks to be graphically rich and impressive. I especially love the depth of field use during the in-game dialogs and certain cutscenes.

I have absolutely no problems with the absence of the isometric view, and frankly, even if I did have that option it would do nothing to enhance gameplay for me.