You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Dragon Age:Origins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #201
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Planescape is a ten-year-old game. If your computer can run Baldur's Gate, it can run Planescape. Same engine, too.
I know it's an old game. But I'd rather not. I trust those old games are excellent. But I missed them when they came out. I was not much of a gamer then, much less a PC gamer. I'd rather focus on the great games coming out now as there are many of them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #202

I finished my first playthrough, the ending was very emotional, and those decisions during and after the Landsmeet were very hard to make. Oh and the final battle against the archdemon was incredibly difficult, but very satisfying after i beat it.

And... Morrigan... why!? I felt used

I'm now in my second playthrogh with a female elf mage. Her origin story was a lot weaker than my human noble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I know it's an old game. But I'd rather not. I trust those old games are excellent. But I missed them when they came out. I was not much of a gamer then, much less a PC gamer. I'd rather focus on the great games coming out now as there are many of them.
So you also dont watch old movies, read old books and listen to old music?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
He just doesn't like isometric games.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #204
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
my second playthrogh with a female elf mage. Her origin story was a lot weaker than my human noble.
The city elf origin story has a lot of emotional punch. I was quite taken along for the ride when trying it out as a female elf. It has good story ties too, later in the game. And an emotional twist for those interested in Alistair, either as a liaison or as
Spoiler:
King
I didn't feel as connected to the main story, playing a mage. The Dalish elf origin also feels disconnected. You can argue these are by design but I really did enjoy the human noble play through for its many ties to the main story. There's motivation to see it through beyond the darkspawn threat. The city elf is a second favourite.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 12-05-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #205
merely human

Quote:
Have you seen D.W. Griffith's Birth Of A Nation (1915), Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger (1927) or Fritz Lang's M (1931)? They don't necessarily require dozens of hours to complete, or hunting down a copy of, or reconfiguring a PC for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larissa View Post
He just doesn't like isometric games.
If that were true I'd be hating Jeanne d'Arc and ignoring my PSP, wouldn't I? But the fact is I love it. Still need to complete, though, after I've exhausted Dragon Age.

Quote:
And... Morrigan... why!? I felt used
*SPOILER*

Spoiler:
Depending on who you have impregnate her, it does seem to set up possibilities in the story of the sequel if one is to be made. Alistair would have an [illegitimate] heir to the throne if it is he who becomes king. And if your male character is the father you would have reason to track down Morrigan and the child and find out what happened to them.

There may even be details in Flemeth's grimoire that reveal more than Morrigan has told you, such as how she may extend her own life by using the child, and other things. Who knows? You may agree to it, or you may have to face Morrigan to get your child back safely?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 12-05-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #206

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
I didn't feel as connected to the main story, playing a mage. The Dalish elf origin also feels disconnected. You can argue these are by design but I really did enjoy the human noble play through for its many ties to the main story. There's motivation to see it through beyond the darkspawn threat. The city elf is a second favourite.
I agree that the Human Noble origin is incredibly involving and emotional, but I found the moral questions posed by the Mage origin extremely interesting too.

Spoiler:
I'm obviously referring to Jowan and the Blood Mage affair, but particularly to the politic dynamic between the various factions of Magi and between the Magi as a whole and the Templars. For example, the Rite of Tranquillity is, as far as I'm concerned, an abomination and, as soon as my character learned about it, it radically changed my roleplaying experience as a Mage, making my character more hard and ornery toward Templars, Chanters and so on. Even First Enchanter Irving didn't seem to me likable anymore after that revelation (about Jowan)
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #207
merely human

My first character, Wynter, who was a City Elf Mage, pretty much followed his own philosophy and ethical code of the natural order of things (like Taoism combined with stoicism via the teachings of Epictetus), a balance of order and chaos and how each has its place in the universe and the importance of being good. He refused to be bound to the dogma of the Chantry, Templars, or even to the Circle of Magi.

So it's really only by chance that his decisions parallel each institution's belief. He was, for example, supportive of Lelianna's belief that the Maker fated her to join him only insofar as it wasn't destructive and that it helped defeat the Blight. He agrees with the Templar and Magi idea of keeping Mages in check only because it helps keep the macrocosmic order of nature in check that Mages don't become so corrupt that they threaten to destroy the world.

That's at least how I played the story out the first time.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #208

And that's the beauty of it, because I have a total different experience.

Alqua, my Elf Mage, has a rocky relationship with Leliana to say the best, completely distrusts every Templar in sight (sometimes even Alistair, but not so much), abhors the Maker's religion and supports the civil rights of any given minority on Thedas. He's an idealist, and kind of a Magi activist, and he strongly empathizes with the Dalish elves.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #209
delusions of adequacy

I never finished my Mage play through, I lost interest, so I'm afraid I missed any mage specific epilogues. I never got to see what a heroic mage could make of the Circle and in particular if you ever finally get some resolution for Jowan.

Mage/Jowan spoilers
Spoiler:
Even if I give him an approximation of the Harrowing by pitting him against the Desire Demon possessing Connor. His ultimate fate is left up in the air and none of the parties responsible for his development are ever taken to task.
My take on it was this.
Spoiler:
Jowan takes the Templar/Chantry brow beating to heart (not surprising given his mother) and behaves like a meek weakling. But Its his meek exterior that causes irving to delay his Harrowing, leading Jowan to question his own ability and seek blood magic out of desperation.

I always got the impression that Jowan could be a fine magician, but was at greater risk of being manipulated by people than possessed by a demon. All because of that Chantry/Circle environment.

I hated Irving for his handling of Jowan (and his 'relationship' with Gregoir). I hated Wynne fawning all over Irving.

When you're given the option to take Jowan in hand, boost his confidence and offer him a chance to prove and redeem himself he shows some nous finally. How different things could have been if he'd only had a better environment/teachers.

I have a third game going (obsession much?), this time I'm wiping out the circle, prior to visiting Redcliffe. Isolde will pay for her role in the nightmare and come hell or high water I will see Jowan freed.
I may hate the Chantry/Templars for their zealotry and subjugation of mages, but I hate the mage's circle more for embracing it.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #210
merely human

Quote:
I may hate the Chantry/Templars for their zealotry and subjugation of mages, but I hate the mage's circle more for embracing it.
This is what Wynter is kind of on the fence with. He understands why the Chantry, Templars, and the Circle need to keep the Mages under control. However, he does not like them clamping down the Mages in such a draconian fashion. To him a Mage should be able to exist without the constant eye of the Chantry/Templars/Circle on him. But if the Mage ends up choosing to be an a-hole and become greedy for power and becomes a threat by making deals with demons or killing innocents for blood magic (thus upsetting the balance of nature), the Chantry/Templars/Circle or anyone should have the right to go after him. And Wynter will help them go after that Mage if he can. When you have that much power, according to Wynter, you had better not abuse it.

In which case he's a bit sympathetic to Jowan because Jowan regrets what he did.

Wynter is vehemently against lobotomy on Mages - or making them "tranquil", as the Circle puts it.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #211

I wholeheartedly agree with Crunchy, but - on the other hand - the reasons he brings up are the exact same reasons why I totally love the Mage Origin.

Maybe these are issues I'm kind of sensitive about, but the whole theme of freedom vs. indoctrination, civil rights vs. minority oppression, is one of the issues that make Dragon Age so beautiful to me, and I love that many side-quests outside the Circle of Magi bring this theme up again, allowing me to shape my character as I explained before, as an idealist who fight hard against this kind of mental and political subjugation. If you follow closely all the quests related to the Circle of Magi (the Mages Collective, for example, or the Chanters' Boards), this freedom theme is a thin red line throughout the whole game, and a powerful one at that.

Spoiler:
Even if I sided with the Magi after Broken Circle, I really liked that many dialogue options with Irving could mirror my character's turmoil and discomfort with him being so subdued to Gregoir. And there is a very interesting dialogue that happens with Wynne, where she wonders if abominations don't have a teensy spark of humanity left, that I fould really thought-provoking

Without a single doubt, this political-religious theme is perhaps the one I'm most fond about in the game, and many dialogues with Leliana, Wynne, Alistair (about his childhood in the Chantry) and Zevran (about the lack of choice in being a Mage) are amongst the most compelling of the game for me.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #212

Well, I've started playing with the character creator? Pathetic I know. Anyone played a dwarf yet?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #213
delusions of adequacy

Since my current character is a soldier, the motivation to destroy the circle was based around chantry doctrine, some not so gentle nudging from the black haired beauty, and a preference for units of templar knights under my command. Something I can understand and make use of.

I didn't want to metagame a personal reason to kill Irving, I don't think I'd ever destroy the circle while playing a mage.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear Bioware accounted for killing the circle, beyond a pretty badge/achievement. After Greigor signs on the dotted line, the same old mage representative appears in your camp. You'll still get mages at the end battle, and they still want runes. I feel a bit cheated.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #214

Quote:
I didn't want to metagame a personal reason to kill Irving, I don't think I'd ever destroy the circle while playing a mage.
In fact, I didn't I sided with the Circle, but I was indeed very displeased with Irving and his subduing to Gregoir.

Quote:
Unfortunately it doesn't appear Bioware accounted for killing the circle, beyond a pretty badge/achievement. After Greigor signs on the dotted line, the same old mage representative appears in your camp. You'll still get mages at the end battle, and they still want runes. I feel a bit cheated.
I haven't got that far, but this, at least according to the official guide, it's not true, in that, if you sided with Gregoir, you won't get Mage at the end. Having not played the final part of the game, I can't confirm but this is what I've read.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #215
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

Love this game, but I'm having huge issues with memory leaks that make the game unplayable for me. My specs are above the minimum so that's definately not the problem... waiting for them to patch it.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone accessed the homoerotic sex scene with the male elf and a male main character? :p
Old 12-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #216
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Knight View Post
Haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone accessed the homoerotic sex scene with the male elf and a male main character? :p
What do you think, hon?

Anyway, today I finished my second playthrough as Ivo Cousland, female human noble dual weapons stealth expert Rogue Ranger. (my first character was Wynter, male elf Mage)

A few notes on my two characters' stats and details...

For Mages, whatever you do, you ABSOLUTELY MUST get the Healing and Regeneration spells for health and mana/stamina generation. Be ready to lose a couple of party members if you choose to become a Blood Mage. Many decisions you make in the story affect companions' regard of you. Increasing a companion's approval of you will at interval grant that companion a boost in his/her respective skill.

I also very highly recommend investing the Mana Alteration branch - Mana Drain, Mana Cleanse, Spell Might, and Mana Clash. Mana Clash is amazing, it's an AoE spell against enemy Mages and Emissaries that completely zaps them of mana and if your Magic is high enough and they fail the resistance check, will instantly kill them.

Mana Clash does not at all completely drain your mana. However, it's the tail end of the Mana Alteration spell chain so your Mage needs to have at least 33 Magic to afford it so it'll take some time to get it.

Regardless, I always invest almost all my Mages' XP into the Willpower and Magic attributes. Because Wynne is my primary healer - my main party on this second playthrough consisted of Ivo (dual weapons Rogue), Alistair (Templar Warrior), Morrigan (Mage destructive/spirit healer), and Wynne (buffer/healer) - I made sure she got proportionately more Willpower than Magic. And even then she still sucks up too much mana so I constantly needed a high supply of lyrium potions.

Conversely, Morrigan received a slightly higher Magic level than Willpower because I wanted her destructive spells to be particularly powerful. I also gave her Spell Might, which intensifies spell power even more (though the spells cost a bit more mana to cast while this mode is on, thus I used this mode only for tougher enemies).

On my third playthrough (as a female Elf Arcane Warrior) I'll make sure to give Wynne the Death Syphon spell, which gives her instant mana replenishment from the residual energy of freshly killed enemies. Wynter had that as a Mage and it was convenient especially when he ran out of lyrium potions.

Having a Rogue with the Ranger specialization is a great alternative to the Mage Shapeshifter. Follow the chain - Wolf, Bear, Spider, Master Ranger. Master Ranger is the tail end (requiring level 12) but it summons the most deadly version of each of the critters. But if you do this specialization make sure to balance it out by investing several XP in Willpower so that it won't cost as much stamina to activate.

The advantage of the Ranger is that you'll have an extra party member with you for a total of five of you, as opposed to having, say, Morrigan turn into a critter and only still have four of you. But you can go one further! Rangers can summon up to two critters, thereby totaling the party to six members! But - o_0 - if you are that greedy, de-activate one critter, have your Mage cast Revival on it, and it'll get back up: seven freaking party members!!!

Mind you, this is the console version, straight out of the box, launch day DLCs. No cheats, no exploits. I'm kind of a purist that way (even if I played the PC version I have zero interest in screwing around with things the devs did not intend).

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 12-06-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #217
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
What do you think, hon?
... On my third playthrough (as a female Elf Arcane Warrior)...
If you convince Leliana to return to her life as a Bard following her Marjolene confrontation, and have been romancing her, AND Zevran, you can have a foursome with Isabella in the Perl... Just saying...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #218
merely human

Quote:
If you convince Leliana to return to her life as a Bard following her Marjolene confrontation, and have been romancing her, AND Zevran, you can have a foursome with Isabella in the Perl... Just saying...
I already know that. But I adore Lelianna. We've planned to go on adventures together (after I help hubby Alistair set up reorganization of Ferelden). Non-plot wise, I'll have her knighted and made into the King's Official Scout, Bard, and Ambassador and Royal BFF.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #219

I finished my first play through recently with 50+ hours of gameplay, and i really enjoyed the game. I played as a human Mage, and from reading the official game boards, the Mage is like the most over powerd character build, and i do agree that this made things allot little easier. As i played many times upto a point with a Rogue, and it was impossible at points.

It is superbly written, and the choices you can make, really pull your moral compass all over the place. I was thinking of playing an Evil/mean dual wielding warrior in my next play through, but i always seem to end up doing the good choices
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #220
merely human

Meet Lorelei. Hmm, I may have made her too beautiful.

I'm deep in my THIRD playthrough, this time as Lorelei, a stunning blue eyed, raven haired Arcane Warrior. She's chosen enchanted dual blades and light armour with supportive Entropy School spells and the Glyph chain of spells under the Creation school. I made sure she can use at least poison weapon coatings and bombs because her light blades are what will cause the primary damage, while her spells work to weaken enemies (hence the Hex chain of spells). I decided to work on getting Death Syphon since she'll be at the center of the action with Alistair and that supportive spell can instantly replenish her Mana pool from all the freshly killed enemies.

I have to say that playing an Arcane Warrior is particularly challenging. Many spells require the use of the staff, and if you're wielding blades you'll need to switch sets to cast certain spells. However, many other spells don't require the staff so I'm hot keying some of them and micromanaging the others.

It's also critical to have an arsenal of AoE spells (like Sleep) or personal defensive spells (the Glyph chain) if you're a Mage in combat alongside your tank.

At least one of my Mages (I always try to have two) must have Mana Clash to neutralize enemy Mages that try to hurl Fireballs or heal the boss. They're such bitches. The Sleep spell is also great for temporarily shutting down all the archers; it buys time to kill the melee guys without worrying about Scattershot arrows.