You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Prince of Persia Demo Impressions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 08:03 PM   #1

Default Prince of Persia Demo Impressions.

Hey, everyone, I'm sorry if a thread like this has already been made, but
last night, I downloaded the demo for Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time from the Gigex Games Web Site before I went out to a Indian Cuisine for Dinner with my Mom and Dad. After we got home, I went to my computer, turned the monitor on, and found the demo file waiting to be installed. Nice surprise, indeed. I installed the demo, configured it, and then started playing it. Now, here's my impressions of the demo.

Let me tell you everybody, the demo was AMAZING! The graphics were beautiful, and the movie sequences were practically silky smooth. But, trying to figure out how to describe the fighting sequences is hard. I simply couldn't believe what was happening on the screen! It was like watching a Kung Fu Movie! I was amazed at how athletic the prince was, and I especially found it cool that the Prince could leap over his assilant, and then slash him in the back with his sword. I did get stuck in the courtyard level, though, and it forced me to restart the whole demo after looking for a walkthrough on the Internet. Turns out, the solution to the puzzle was there all along, and I just needed to use my brain on how to solve it. The Prince also has the ability to vault over to the door that is too far away to jump, by grabbing a pole that's firmly etched into a wall, and then flipping over it like a gymnast. That was a neat sight, to be sure. The opening Tutorial was very helpful, and using the rewind feature which turns back time on the dagger was just awesome! Finally, even though I had to turn off a few settings to get good framerates, the animation in the demo was very fluid and smooth. That was a big plus for me.

Any negative points? I can only think of two problems. That was the Camera Control. I know that the game was ported over to the PC from the game consoles, but the Camera Control was really frustrating at times. Every time, the camera got close to The Prince, and I tried to turn it, it would automatically try to turn back to it's default position. This proved especially annoying in the courtyard level. This is the same problem that I had with Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, and I wish that the Camera could have automatically followed the Prince around instead of trying to block your view of him. One example of an excellent 3rd Person Interface is the demo for Max Payne. The second Problem is small, and that is that there was no Save Feature on the demo. It makes me wonder if that's going to exist or not in the final version of the game.

Overall, this demo got me really excited to play the full version of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and I plan to buy both it soon. I also plan to buy Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Man, I'm glad that I decided to try out the Action genre .
Old 03-15-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
merely human

Heh heh....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

That's for providing a link another thread about the Prince of Persia Demo, Intrepid, but thanks for letting me know about it.