You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Last Guardian from Playstation Lifestyle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Right now reasons for me to get a PS3 are: Little Big Planet, Brutal Legend and this.
I've never owned a console, but this (the games you list, and Heavy Rain) is almost enough to make me start thinking about it. (It is enough to make me want one, but they aren't cheap.) The PS3 runs PS2 games like ICO too, right?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I've never owned a console, but this (the games you list, and Heavy Rain) is almost enough to make me start thinking about it. (It is enough to make me want one, but they aren't cheap.) The PS3 runs PS2 games like ICO too, right?
The old 60gb models had support for BC. I don't know about recent ones.
Before buying ypou can always check/imquire the store guy. Whatever you do, buy atleast 80gb HD size.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #23

The backward compatible PS3s have been discontinued, so you'll have to get a PS2 to play PS2 games. Only the initial batch of consoles included BC. Sorry.

That said, a PS2 is REALLY cheap nowadays, and the back catalogue is well worth the small price it asks of you. Also, old games are cheap games, thus you'll find plenty of superb games for very little money.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #24

At E3 it was revealed that the name for this game is "The Last Guardian". Perhaps the thread needs to be renamed.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #25

Famitsu interview with juicy details

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/990/990431p1.html
Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
merely human

THE LAST GUARDIAN OFFICIAL TRAILER (HD version)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_sho...14072&c_num=14

Some beautiful pictures from the game!
I should get Ico eventually since this game reminds me of that game with its artstyle. So beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Battle system, cool cinematic bloody, nicely choreographed finishers,outstanding bossfights, badassery to limits, epicness, generic greek myth turned totally creative, both in artistic design and story/presentation, compounded with epic musical score.

Thats gow for me. I dont mind QTE, its not like game is easy and dont require hardhitting fight skills like DMC.
but after seeing the sequel is the same ol tiring with more more detailed limb tearing, head pulling (which wasn't necessary my biggest appeal with god of war) I will be avoiding it.

Good that the ps3 is getting games like The Last Guardian! at least.

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 06-09-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_sho...14072&c_num=14

Some beautiful pictures from the game!
I should get Ico eventually since this game reminds me of that game with its artstyle. So beautiful!

but after seeing the sequel is the same ol tiring with more more detailed limb tearing, head pulling (which wasn't necessary my biggest appeal with god of war) I will be avoiding it.

Good that the ps3 is getting games like The Last Guardian! at least.
Not just tlg but flower, HR are also creative and unusual, Sony always brings unusual stuff since PS1 days, thats the best thing i like about Sony, love how they didn't change their stance completely, variety of unique titles that don't necessarily please masses and sometimes even fail commercially like ico and this gen like folklore(folklore is gem).

gow is trilogy, it has to be the way it 'was' with 'more' in final chapter, none one would want to piss fans, it is what makes this game cool for fans and its not like gow is beaten to death(still good to have slashers/beatemups than same FPShooting with different game titles, people dont get bored with that, you are practically doing exact same thing).
One of the thing that gow has against other games, its how story,music,gameplay and art coming together. kratos has gone nuts, his executions and brutality are manifestations of his frustration against olympians.
MK should take notice of it, and make as detailed fatalities nexttime, rather than comic tie-in to score fastmoney.

Coming to the topic

Edit: here is translation of interview

The tale of the giant man-devouring eagle Toriko
Fumito Ueda presents his newest game, The Last Guardian

After Shadow of the Colossus hit shelves back in 2005, a shroud of mystery was placed on the small team at JAPAN Studio responsible for two of the greatest masterpieces of the old generation. Fumito Ueda and his team have kept quiet on their workings for four years, until today.

A fantastic trailer of nearly five minutes shows us what the best team at JAPAN Studio has prepared to unleash on PlayStation 3. And while "unleash" might be a strange word to describe a game being revealed it could not be more appropriate than this case.

The Last Guardian, or "The giant man-devouring eagle Toriko," like it is known in Japan, tells of a very unusual story of friendship. A boy bearing strange marks all over his body makes the acquaintance of a giant creature unlike anything you've ever seen on your TV. The owner of feathers and bird-like limbs but a feline face, Toriko is a mixture of creatures.

"We knew we could create a natural looking and moving animal in a game. We did it with Agro in Shadow of the Colossus. But when you're familiar with a particular animal, say a cat, you'd notice any little abnormality it will display on screen. You can notice it because you can compare what you're seeing with what you have at home.

To avoid this problem, we decided to create an entirely new creature - a creature that is an amalgamation of many different animals. The team and I refer to it as Oowashi (Giant Eagle) but it has little like an eagle ignoring the feathers and tiny wings!"

This amalgamation, like Ueda calls it, looks too weird at first. We were very surprised by its look when we watched the trailer the first time. We are not alone as Ueda admits:

"Even I find it weird-looking, to tell you the truth. But creating something that cannot be recognised as an existent animal is what we were trying to do in the first place. We want to create something strange but having it move and behave naturally."

After the shock of seeing the creature, we set our eyes on its companion - a young boy wearing familiar-looking robes and adorned with marks all over his body. It's an unlikely duo, but fate brings them together.

"You could think that the relationship between the boy and Oowashi is very like the one between Wander and Agro in Shadow of the Colossus. You'd be right in a way, because the first thing we wanted to do with our new game was to make that kind of relationship the very heart of it."

As soon as Ueda compares Oowashi to Agro we can't help think there's something very, very different between the two.

"Even though the relationship aspect might start off familiar, as soon as you get that controller in your hands you realize it's a completely new type of relationship. Oowashi is not your loyal animal friend that your character spent countless days interacting with before the game even starts. Agro was already a very amicable partner at the beginning of Shadow of the Colossus. You'd whistle for him and he'd come in a few seconds, obeying your every command. Oowashi is not like that. The bond between you and him is not very developed as the duo have met for the first time very recently. You might have some difficulty even to grab its attention, perhaps needing to throw something at it to make it look at you. You'll need to learn the pattern of its behaviour, which unlike Agro's is very complex. Getting used to these patterns and then using them to your advantage will be the key to success."

Asked to give an example of such a case Ueda quickly gave us a simple description:

"Say you're in a situation where you need Oowashi to stay still in order to proceed. It might not be simple because he has the habit of moving around. This creature is not trained. It is smart but not accustomed to humans and their whims."

We tried to imagine ways how this relationship could develop to one similar to Agro and Wander's from Shadow of the Colossus. Ueda hinted at possible interactions between you and the creature:

"You can feed it, and take out those nasty spears your enemies used against it. You can touch it in different places, and each will present a different outcome. You're free to interact with Oowashi at any given time, but as it might become a chore for the player to take care of all these things all the time, we're trying to find just the right balance."

We then asked Ueda what other important themes can we find throughout the game.

"All animals are surrounded by a veil of mystery. You never really know what your cat is thinking. This is one of the reasons why we decided to make animals one of the central themes of our game. We opted for a theme full of character."

We had time for just one question so we decided to ask what will be so different in this game compared to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus:

"We have learned much about AI thanks to the our work on ICO, and we then explored how different things and characters can interact with each other in Shadow of the Colossus. With The Last Guardian, we're taking these two facets of gameplay, combining them together and bringing them to a whole new level, allowing us to create a truly living and breathing world, even surpassing our first two games."

Last edited by nomadsoul; 06-22-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #29
merely human

TGS 2009: Fumito Ueda on the reality of The Last Guardian's fantasy (oh, and new trailer) | Joystiq

Quote:
"Going with an imaginary creature makes it feel much more real," ICO and Shadow of the Colossus creator Fumito Ueda explained in a new video revealed at the Tokyo Game Show. "None of the elements we're mixing together actually exist, but they feel like they do."

Ueda's previous games were praised for being able to push players to emotions rarely expressed in most games. After watching this trailer from Tokyo Game Show, it seems certain that Ueda might be able to pull off a hat trick with The Last Guardian.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #30
In an evening of July...

It looks fantastic.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #31
merely human

Newest trailer:

The Last Guardian Official Trailer for TGS 2010