You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #61
Schättenjager

Acclaimed by critics,turns out encourage for devs. which fairytale next?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/path
Old 04-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #62

Default The Path- (spoilers)

This is one weird game! question for those who have played it, what do you think it is about?
Spoiler:
Who exactly are the wolves?...do the girls get raped? esp carmen & Ruby?...what do the flashbacks mean when in the end they go to grandmothers house?
...i'm sooo confused...arrrrgh...!

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-03-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spoiler tags added
Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #63

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Acclaimed by critics,turns out encourage for devs. which fairytale next?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/path
Pretty much every critic who did give it a good review said they had no idea what was going on, and the game seemed impenetrable. Hmm....

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyliesthebest View Post
This is one weird game! question for those who have played it, what do you think it is about?
Spoiler:
Who exactly are the wolves?...do the girls get raped? esp carmen & Ruby?...what do the flashbacks mean when in the end they go to grandmothers house?
...i'm sooo confused...arrrrgh...!
Each wolf represents more of a theme than an actual story. A loss of innocence. The masks that we were to protect ourselves, and the masks worn by those who wish to do us harm. There isn't any solid story, but ideas that are meant to get you to ask yourself these questions. What does it all mean?

My review of The Path

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-03-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spoiler tags added
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #65
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyliesthebest View Post
...do the girls get raped?
Hey, I was censor...uh, "spoiler alerted" earlier in this same thread for making the same observation. What's going on, moderators?
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #66
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_m View Post
Hey, I was censor...uh, "spoiler alerted" earlier in this same thread for making the same observation. What's going on, moderators?
We don't always see everything; please use the report function next time (the warning sign at the bottom left of a post), or send one of us a private message.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-03-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #67

Ok. Sorry it's late, but I just finished my thoughts on the path. I spent the whole weekend helping a friend help his friend move so if any one cares I'm just going to read over it a couple times and post it. Should I do a separate thread?

My review of The Path
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #68
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
Ok. Sorry it's late, but I just finished my thoughts on the path. I spent the whole weekend helping a friend help his friend move so if any one cares I'm just going to read over it a couple times and post it. Should I do a separate thread?
So, where is it?
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #69
Restless Dreamer

Excellent interview with the developer of The Path, and their thoughts on "Are games art?".

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...re-games-art/1
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #70

Default The Path and My Thoughts (spoilers... sort of)

Since this is actually an adventure game I thought I might post in the adventure section. Sorry this was delayed, but I have a lot going on right now. I wanted to put up pictures do instead of just posting it here you can read it on here

http://blgrb.blogspot.com/

I have to admit it made me remember why I liked writing in the first place as I haven't done it in a while.

Spoiler:
Feel free to try and use that last sentence as method of discrediting me

My review of The Path
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #71
Freeware Co-ordinator

therabidfrog. I merged your thread with the existing one on The Path since it's really a continuation of the same discussion.

Nothing I've read about it would make me describe it as an adventure so this is back in General. Haven't had time to read your blog in full so, if it doesn't cover why you think it's an adventure, I'd be interested in hearing your argument.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #72

Kind of figured it would get merged. I guess I figured it was an adventure game since it was reviewed on this web site. But I see your point. I guess it doesn't really fall into a traditional adventure category.

My review of The Path
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #73
Hopeful skeptic

Actually, though a review in spirit, we treated it as an ungraded feature specifically because it's not an adventure. (Still a game of interest, just not something that can fairly be critiqued by traditional genre standards.)
Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #74

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
The arrival of the CD in the nineties was followed by a wave of creative, fascinating games and "multimedia experiences". I'll leave it to you to draw the solid black dividing line in this vast grey area. Bad Day on the Midway (Jim Ludtke), Gadget, Alice: An Interactive Museum (Haruhiko Shono), Eve (Peter Gabriel), Puppet Motel (Laurie Anderson), Mode (Jeff Green), Ceremony of Innocence, Blue Ice, The Dark Eye, Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nou, among others.
A very interesting list of games there! I wonder: have others in this thread played them? If so, what did you think? And are they considered "adventure" games? To me these are what The Path is most like, and I love them (well, the half or so I've played).
Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #75

*looks at his comments* Ah Sam I shall write you a special love letter

My review of The Path
Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #76
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
A very interesting list of games there! I wonder: have others in this thread played them? If so, what did you think? And are they considered "adventure" games? To me these are what The Path is most like, and I love them (well, the half or so I've played).
Ah, another fan of games that are "different". Which ones did you play? Do YOU consider them adventure games? Alice used to be in my top ten, but she looked so out of place that I removed her. ( I guess that when all is said and done I consider her, and a few others, art.)
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #77

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Ah, another fan of games that are "different". Which ones did you play? Do YOU consider them adventure games?
From that list: The Dark Eye, Bad Day on the Midway, Gadget, Alice, and Puppet Motel (just started). And yeah, I considered most of them "adventures", though maybe not the last two. But then I thought the same for The Path until I came on here and other websites, so shows what I know. :shrug:

Are the others worth seaking out? Anymore you'd recommend? Thanks!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #78
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
Since this is actually an adventure game I thought I might post in the adventure section. Sorry this was delayed, but I have a lot going on right now. I wanted to put up pictures do instead of just posting it here you can read it on here

http://blgrb.blogspot.com/
Read your review frog and though I don't agree with everything you said, I found it a good read and well thought out. Nice job.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_m View Post
Read your review frog and though I don't agree with everything you said, I found it a good read and well thought out. Nice job.
Thank you. Some one named Sam thought otherwise I appreciate your comment, and will be writing more on the subject soon.

My review of The Path
Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #80
Senior *female* member

I love Puppet Motel. Went to one of her performances when she visited my country in 2006, had high expectations and was somewhat disappointed. More of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Are the others worth seaking out?
Blue Ice is incredibly difficult and frustrating, even though it's a beautiful game. The interactive cards in Ceremony of Innocence are very nice, the famous actors do a good job of reading their lines, but the story didn't grab me.

Quote:
Anymore you'd recommend? Thanks!
Well, there's L-Zone, another one by Shono. And The Freak Show, an older one by The Residents. Probably many more interesting games I haven't heard of.