You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_m View Post
(and for which my comments were censored).
A spoiler tag isn't censorship, anyone can still read it should they choose to highlight it.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #42

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Quote:
Then you must play some very bad and/or very old games if you're buying them for only a dollar apiece. We should support the developers whose games we play, it's the right thing to do. And if $10 is too much for you, which it seems like it is, well, I pity you.
What I pity is some one who is so emotionally invested in video games that they can't keep themselves from making condescending remarks. If I can get a copy of Galactic Civilization II for a couple of bucks that hardly makes me a bad person or as you would imply poor. Next time mortgaging your identity to something more meaningful. As for me I'll go on playing the Lost Crown and stare deep into my soul.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #43
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
What I pity is some one who is so emotionally invested in video games that they can't keep themselves from making condescending remarks. If I can get a copy of Galactic Civilization II for a couple of bucks that hardly makes me a bad person or as you would imply poor. Next time mortgaging your identity to something more meaningful. As for me I'll go on playing the Lost Crown and stare deep into my soul.
Why so defensive? I wasn't being condescending, I was feeling sorry for you.

And mortgaging my identitiy? Puh-lease. All I said was give the game a chance. That's hardly mortgaging my identity.

And I am emotionally invested in video games. And so are you, or you wouldn't be here with 240 posts.

Plus, and I say this with all due respect, Trophy Hunter 2003? I take it all back - you paid too much.
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Plus, and I say this with all due respect, Trophy Hunter 2003? I take it all back - you paid too much.
Man I saw that one coming a mile off. Of course you have your identity mortgaged to gaming. You came into to this debat being nothing but insulting, and when some one else attempted to defend my opinion you made a condescending remark about them. If you're going to try and make a point do it logically and not emotionally, and certainly don't back track and try to pretend you didn't.

I assume you consider yourself a gamer. Maybe I am wrong, but to label yourself a gamer means you now feel you belong to some sub culture or group to which you then attempt to invest a portion of who you are. Oh what the hell. I don't care about this enough to continue to debate it. It's like trying to argue the intellectual merit of cereal commercials. I bow out.

All I will say is that when and if The Path makes it to one of those Weekend discount Steam specials I'll buy. Other wise there is a million other things I can do with 10 bucks that I know for a fact I will enjoy, and not gamble it with something that might piss me off, and will most likely according to most of what I can find in terms of reviews. Other wise if I want to learn something about myself and human nature I will interact with actual humans not spend my time attempting to find deep meaning in throwing riding lawn mowers at zombies in a digital mall.

My review of The Path
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #45
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
I bow out.
Now that's something we can agree on. I bow out as well. Yay!
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #46
Super Moderator

This argument is getting way too personal and it's really not a way I want to wake up on a Monday morning.

Please keep this discussion about the game itself. I think this has veered off into a philosophical direction that is detracting from talking about the actual game.

Last edited by Melanie68; 03-23-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #47
Schättenjager

What a trippy game,but how to use the items we collect?
Encountered with wolf but girlie run away and restarted from distance,when finally get granma's home girlie sleeps next to her and wrote on screen havent collect any items or unlock doors and encountered with a wolf ,failure, is that so,hmm..
Old 03-23-2009, 04:00 AM   #48
aye, aye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I think this has veered off into a philosophical direction that is detracting from talking about the actual game.
Oh, sorry on my part. I atleast found it interesting, aslong as you leave out the personal attacks, heh. Hope your monday morning isn't completely ruined!
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 03-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #49
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Actually the classical definition of art has always been to provoke thought and elevate man intellectually. Or how about any intellectual benefit what so ever? Studies show that playing games don't even have a short term mental benefit. Besides my point was that you were listing these games as gray area possibly art because (or in part) they are riddled with half baked philosophical musings.
No, art and philosophical musings, half-baked or not, were definitely not a criterium for me. I listed those boundary-pushing games as grey area because they are hard to classify. A few are not even real games, that's why I used the words multimedia experience, like they did in the nineties.

Quote:
when and if The Path makes it to one of those Weekend discount Steam specials I'll buy.
Heh... there's a 10 percent discount at Steam right now.

I visited the designers' forums this weekend, and was impressed by the discussion and the number of participants. The designers have a lot of fans and their Path appears to be a huge success, on its modest indie scale of course.

I'm determined to see and do everything possible in The Path. Two of the girls met their wolf almost immediately, I'd only collected one or two objects and I hadn't gotten to know them yet. The web site supplies more info about their individual personalities, but I'd rather discover those myself. I dread going into granny's house with each girl, so this game definitely has an emotional impact on me.

Quote:
What a trippy game,but how to use the items we collect?
Encountered with wolf but girlie run away and restarted from distance,when finally get granma's home girlie sleeps next to her and wrote on screen havent collect any items or unlock doors and encountered with a wolf ,failure, is that so,hmm..
Gabe, you can't do anything with the items, they represent memories. They tell you stuff about the girls themselves.

If the girl goes to sleep in the house, she has not met her wolf yet. When she does meet him, you'll know it because you'll find her on the path again. The wolf is different for each girl and may not look like a wolf.

Last edited by Fien; 03-23-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #50
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Oh, sorry on my part. I atleast found it interesting, aslong as you leave out the personal attacks, heh. Hope your monday morning isn't completely ruined!
I would have liked to respond to your comments. I'm sorry we're not allowed to discuss art and games anymore, but that's how it is. I just hope I'm not partly to blame for that, I didn't think the discussion between bidfrog and me was getting too personal, but others may feel differently of course.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:31 AM   #51

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
I would have liked to respond to your comments. I'm sorry we're not allowed to discuss art and games anymore, but that's how it is.
You can open up a different thread in the General or in the Chit Chat section of the forum, to discuss art and games.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #52
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Was this thread moved from adventure forums? I thought The Path can be classified as an adventure game - isn't it primarily about exploration and storytelling?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #53
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Was this thread moved from adventure forums? I thought The Path can be classified as an adventure game - isn't it primarily about exploration and storytelling?
I don't think so, I think it was always in general. But I agree it should have been in adventure.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #54
Super Moderator

I moved a couple of the art and games posts to its own thread because no one else seemed to want start a new thread and it was too tempting to keep talking about in this thread.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #55

Ok. I broke down. I'm playing it.

My review of The Path
Old 03-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #56
Senior *female* member

Don't forget to tell us how much you hate/love it, bidfrog!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #57

I'm going to write a full on review about this one. Maybe I'll even post it on my blog.

So far I've found two of the girl's wolves. I'll continue on until I feel I've seen all I need to.

My review of The Path
Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #58
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Ok. I broke down. I'm playing it.
You go, frog. Can't wait to see what your final impression is.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #59

I've seen the wolves of all but one of the girls up to this point. It'll take me maybe a couple of days to work on my review. I'll post my thoughts in full then.

My review of The Path
Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #60

Well I've gotten all the wolves. My game play got broken up by job hunting. I'm working on my review right now, but I haven't written anything in a while so I"ll need the weekend to refine it.

My review of The Path