You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Silent Hill 5 Homecoming Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Default Silent Hill 5 Homecoming Feedback

Is there anyone that have played this game and can share their thoughts about it?

Is it better than Silent Hill 4, because I thought that 4 was great
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm HOPEFULLY going to get it tommorrow or next week!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Psychonaut

So far it's ok, but I havn't played much of it. Only just got home and am now searching a graveyard.

It's very linear to date. The music and sound work are superb, but it has a very samey feel to it. Not much has changed since the days of Silent Hill.

However I would say it's more superficial and the story doesn't have the depth of the previous games so far.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

A lot of critics praised the games in terms of story because this iteration has a definite and clear ending instead of a bunch of red herrings and esoteric poo pa.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 02-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Restless Dreamer

Compared to the previous installments, I never quite got that "creep" factor that the series is known for. I understood the need to try a different direction, as shown in the apartment room in SH4 and now the new emphasis on combat in SH5, but both I think missed their mark by disappointing a lot of the fan base by deviating from what we were expecting and hoping for.

To me, the combat for Silent Hill should be secondary to the story, whether it be within the main story line regarding Silent Hill's past (SH1, SH3), or an alternate story line (SH2, SH4). This new emphasis on combat gets boring, and really detracts from the creep factor...

which leads me to my main point. I could tell this game was not made by the original Japanese developers. Team Silent really nailed the creep factor, with, I believe, SH4 being their crowning achievement (though not my favorite - everyone knows I'm happily chained to SH2). Let's just say I could tell this was made by the producers of Buffy, not The Ring.

The puzzles in this one were actually not bad and more enjoyable than previous installments, if that helps any.

There are bugs aplenty in this game, but to be fair, the problems with screen resolution and visual quality when running the game through Steam seems to have found a workaround, which means I might just try and play this puppy one more time to see if it gets a better score.

My score: C+

(Which means worth playing by fans of the series, but others looking for a good scare might get put off by all the hitting and actual lack of being scared.)
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #6

Thank you all for the reviews, I decided to give it a shot.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
Banned User

i have a copy of silent hill but everytime i try to play it. it creeps me out.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkiegurl View Post
i have a copy of silent hill but everytime i try to play it. it creeps me out.
Thats cause you're a gurl. Name:  Angelic.gif
Views: 195
Size:  4.7 KB
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
Is there anyone that have played this game and can share their thoughts about it?
Is it better than Silent Hill 4, because I thought that 4 was great
This is coming from someone who played six games in the series, including Origins on PSP and Orphan on mobile. I also liked SH4 for it's innovative features and I consider SH4 to be a very creepy game.

My answer is: No.

Silent Hill 5 focus on what isn't and forget what it is. It definitely improves the controls and is quite actionoriented. This would be fine in my book, if the game hadn't completely forgotten that SH games have been about psychological, deeply atmospheric and genuinely creepy horror. That dimension is missing in SH5. Since it's not creepy or scary, the game end up as a actiontitle and as a such it's weak compared to titles like Gears of War.

Personally I felt the story in SH1, 2 and 4 was deep, while 3 and Origins was rather shallow. SH5 is like the second, it's rather shallow. It fails to capture you in it's mystery and I felt that the game was overall boring. I did however like the end twist, even if I saw it coming.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #10

i started playing it with a friend the other night and im not impressed, i too loved the others in the series and i did get fairly creeped out but the game is just too dark, i turned the brightness on the options up as well as my tv's brightness but everytime u get close to a wall ur near enough blind as the torch light shrinks, also i got stuck (probably because its 2 dark to see anything) on the very first part and after an hour or so of wandering through pitch black rooms turned off and switched to resident evil 5 which is awesome btw x
Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #11

So I tried this game and also wasn't impressed but mostly it was because my PC is too slow for it.. maybe I'd have a different opinion if I played it on console instead of PC because it felt like the game was made strictly for consoles..
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Yeah I want this one badly myself, but I'm PC only at the moment. Can You Run It basically told me I had no chance in hell.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of the series but it took me a few months to finally get around to playing Homecoming because I hated Origins with a passion and it kind of killed all interest in the series for me for a long time. Since Origins was made by an American team and Homecoming was as well, I presumed they also would've messed it up and probably put the final nail in the coffin. But, about two months ago, I finally gave the game a whirl and much to my surprise I liked it quite a bit. The Silent Hill series was starting to get stale; SH4 managed to shake things up a bit with the first person sections and smaller-sized locations to explore but SH3 and Origins felt really tired and repetitive, there's only so many times you can wander around a 3-level hospital without it getting insanely tedious. Homecoming realizes this and streamlines everything, and while that may make it feel a bit more linear, I think that's absolutely what this series needs at this point to fight off dullness. It still feels like a Silent Hill game, there's still large buildings like a hospital and hotel to explore, but the aimless wandering has been pretty much removed so you'll be spending only about forty five minutes to an hour in each one instead of the usual two or three hours of marching up and down multiple floors checking to see which doors are broken. The combat has also been tinkered with and the game becomes frustratingly difficult because of it. It gets easier as it goes on, they start to give you more health items and the enemies almost seem to get easier to fight, but the first 1/2 of the game can be pretty brutal, especially to fans who expect the combat in a Silent Hill game to be a piece of cake. But really, the weak combat and bizarre difficulty curve is the only real problem this game has, everything else is pretty solid. The plot pulls you in and there's some cool twists that pop up near the end, and it is an original story this time unlike SH3 and Origins which just seemed to exist to help clear up the storyline from SH1. And while the game isn't really that scary, there's some very disturbing and brutal scenes in here that will stick with you long after you've put the controller down. If you've seen Pyramid Head's knife trick and the power drill scene then you probably know what I'm talking about.

All in all, I think if you're a fan of Silent Hill then you're going to like this game. It's a huge comeback after the terrible Origins and actually moves the series forward in some ways, especially with the addition of a free roaming camera and the lack of loading inside buildings. The combat's garbage but it was garbage before so it's really not that big of a loss. It's better than SH3, about on par with SH4, and not quite as good as SH2 or 1. It's a solid addition to a great series.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 03-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #14

origins atleast had good mood and story , homecoming failed oin every front, 2 tracks and one boss battle was memorable rest generic western developer rape of series.

I hope deadrising 2 doesnt suffer same fate
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

I love the game personally, it's very "Silent Hill", as it it feels like Silent Hill and looks like it. The new combat system is pretty good and the story is excellent as usual.

I'd definately reccomend it to any SH or Horror fan. It's definately a lot better than Resident Evil 5, thats for sure (I just got RE5 and its mega disapointing).
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Psychonaut

Man, I must have played a different game.