You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Quake Live is now open beta

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Roman5

Default Quake Live is now open beta

I've been playing Qlive for a few weeks now as an invited guest to it's closed beta. Tomorrow, or in about 36 hours, it goes open beta. It's browser based and it works really well. Anyone else have any interest in the game? It's free.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yeah I've been playing just a bit for some weeks now since I got the invitation.

I've been mostly getting my ass kicked all the time.
They need to do some serious coding for the ranking system still before this will be a final version.

But I guess that's the way it goes always with online fps games, the pro players always come and kick ass when there are non-pro players around...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Hell yeah. Can I get an invite?

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Yeah I've been playing just a bit for some weeks now since I got the invitation.

I've been mostly getting my ass kicked all the time.
They need to do some serious coding for the ranking system still before this will be a final version.

But I guess that's the way it goes always with online fps games, the pro players always come and kick ass when there are non-pro players around...
Yes, it's unfortunate that highly skilled players are gatecrashing the lower ranked servers, mostly to get their stats up as well as to feed their egos.
There's been discussion on the qlive forum about this very problem. They should really try and implement a way to stop higher ranked players being able to connect to servers with players several skill levels below them.

I hope you've played some games in the last 28 days.
From the QLive news page:

"Some Big News & an Update
Feb 19, 2009
First, we want to thank everyone who has been playing, testing, providing feedback, inviting friends and hopefully enjoying the QUAKE LIVE closed beta. We've grown considerably over the past 6 months and are now excited to announce that we're opening QUAKE LIVE to the general public as an open beta the evening of Tuesday, February 24th. On Monday morning (U.S. central time) we'll be taking beta.quakelive.com down for about 36 hours and then opening to the public at http://www.quakelive.com on Tuesday evening.

Coordinated with the open beta will be a stats wipe and pruning of player accounts, however we want to make it as easy as possible for all of you to transition over. On Monday, we will be deleting the player accounts of people that have not played in the last 28 days. If you have played within the past 28 days, you will lose your stats, but will NOT lose your player name, custom settings, profile information, etc.. When the site opens again on Feb. 24th, you will be able to use your current email address and password to login as usual. If you have friends that haven't played recently, but will want to maintain their account, let them know that they should play a game between now an Sunday. After Tuesday, we do not expect to ever completely wipe QUAKE LIVE player stats again.

We're going to post some additional information in the Developer Notes about the opening of the game, what it means to leave the 'beta' tag on the site during this time, and discuss some features and functionality that we're planning for the next couple of months that we know you'll be interested in. This is a very exciting time for the project and we hope that all of you, who have contributed your time and feedback, share in that excitement. We hope all of you continue to be active contributors to the game as we work to make it better for months and years to come.

Now to tonight's update.
--We've pretty significantly changed the beginning of the training/skill placement match that you'll normally only see after creating your account. In order to get some good testing on this, we're requiring that everyone re-play that match. It should only take you about 10 minutes, and the update tonight is large, so the game will be downloading while you play anyway. "

Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
Hell yeah. Can I get an invite?
Invites are finished now. As of tomorrow, anyone can sign up and play.
I'm not sure if it's via the beta.quakelive.com site (down at the moment) or this one:

http://quakelive.com/

Says, "Sign up to our Open Beta launch event on Facebook" but I'm not sure if that's sign up to play or something else.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I've been playing it just two-three days ago the last time so no worries, my account won't be deleted.

Quake Live is really amazing so far already, I can't believe how well it's working! Like come on, a browser fps that lets you play fullscreen and acts completely like an updated Quake 3.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
I've been playing it just two-three days ago the last time so no worries, my account won't be deleted.

Quake Live is really amazing so far already, I can't believe how well it's working! Like come on, a browser fps that lets you play fullscreen and acts completely like an updated Quake 3.
I know, it really is a triumph of browser engineering. Trust id software to be gaming pioneers yet again.

What I love is the ability to tweak my config via the console, and choose my enemy model (keel) in bright green, just like the quake 3 osp mod. I've made my own autoexec.cfg too with various commands and made the graphics quite basic and fairly ugly. Anything to take away distractions and just see what I'm shooting at more easily.

About an hour and half or less now till blast off! http://twitter.com/quakelive