You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General American McGee's Alice II

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
In an evening of July...

Default American McGee's Alice II

... has been announced.

There are no details available as of yet, but the fact alone that there will be a sequel to one of my favourite games makes me drool. Alice was an outstanding game, however, McGee has done nothing but disappoint since. Scrapland was meh-ish, the LA game was the worst thing ever, and I didn't even touch the Grimm episodes - seemed like one big minigame to me.

I'm still looking forward to Alice 2, though.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

And there in lies the problem. Can anything American McGee says be trusted? It's not like he doesn't have a reputation for not being able to get his projects off the ground.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Too bad it's being developed by his amateurish team that was responsible for many of his latest projects.

McGee sure seems like a one hit wonder guy, but it's interesting to see that EA suddenly still believes in him.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Too bad it's being developed by his amateurish team that was responsible for many of his latest projects.

McGee sure seems like a one hit wonder guy, but it's interesting to see that EA suddenly still believes in him.
I seem to remember him being inducted into the pantheon of new game gods in an issue of PC Gamer. And he was inducted BEFORE the release of Alice if my memory is correct. Then again, I think most of those new game gods have been discredited, even by PC Gamer itself. Like Stevie Case, whose only fame was being a member of Clan PMS and designing some maps. And...being quite good looking.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold-Factor View Post
Like Stevie Case, whose only fame was being a member of Clan PMS and designing some maps. And...being quite good looking.
Or more so being in a relationship with John Romero.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
Fing-longer Inventor

If its true they're making a sequel to Alice, thats very exciting. I've not played any of Mcgee's other games but I'm optimistic that this is going to be good.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Headbanger

I would bet this links to the new movie by Tim Burton.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I would bet this links to the new movie by Tim Burton.
With Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman! It's like they have two people who have been in movies I've seen! I bet it's dark, but light hearted.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #9

Hmmm... that does sound interesting. However, 2 things I'd like to say:

a) Alice was awesome until the later levels where the fun factor plummeted by a lot. I remember dropping it once, trying it again much later and dropping it again. I can't recall what soured the game for me but perhaps 'cos it tried to take itself too seriously in the later parts of the game. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong game, though.

b) I haven't heard anything worthwhile by him after Alice and none of his later projects sound in the least bit interesting.

c) Sequels tend to be terrible unless the designer has learnt and improved from his/their existing work. Same for the team, really. For every "good" sequel, I think there're at least 3 to 4 more which're a good waste of funding. Plus, the more complex the existing story is, the harder it can be to connect the next story to the first and there's the risk of plot contradictions.

Okay, I lied. That was 3. :p But until he shows some proof, all his talk is merely talk.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
a) Alice was awesome until the later levels where the fun factor plummeted by a lot. I remember dropping it once, trying it again much later and dropping it again. I can't recall what soured the game for me but perhaps 'cos it tried to take itself too seriously in the later parts of the game. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong game, though.
My recollection was that the action got kind of cheap towards the end. Too many enemies in small spaces. That sort of thing. The last boss fight was pretty darn cool though.

My review of The Path
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
Banned User

I actually remember this game even though it's been more than several years since I played it. I found the atmosphere very depressing but I guess I'd wanna play the sequel.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
My recollection was that the action got kind of cheap towards the end. Too many enemies in small spaces. That sort of thing. The last boss fight was pretty darn cool though.
Well, I don't know why but some of the later levels felt kinda empty and boring. It's like all the excitement and mystery from earlier parts of the game, had drained away. Never played till the end though.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifiel View Post
Well, I don't know why but some of the later levels felt kinda empty and boring. It's like all the excitement and mystery from earlier parts of the game, had drained away. Never played till the end though.
You gotta see the last boss. It's pretty freaky.

My review of The Path
Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Banned User

Don't know about you but I enjoyed his Grimm series despite the fact that I only played the one free episode (since gametap sucks at supporting 64bit systems).

Not to mention the concept of 'Bad Day LA' was extremely brilliant and fun, despite the horrible bugs and bad polish.

I really can't say American McGee isn't doing well. I love his work.

Its the fact that he's doing something different that makes most of his latest work a gamble. And from what I see from everyone, no one is giving him an applause.

Since Alice was a success, I highly doubt the sequel will be any less than spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidfrog View Post
You gotta see the last boss. It's pretty freaky.
Oh man, boy was it freaky.