You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Batman: Arkham Asylum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #81
merely human

This game is hands down a zenith of impressive design and concept and quality. It looks like an action game but feels so much like an adventure game with a tinge of RPG elements, and large dollop of dark, mature edge. This is the thinking person's action/adventure.

There's a particularly wicked series of Riddler "puzzles" that involve gadgetry, brainwork, and properly shifted camera angles to "solve" that I found refreshing, partly because it seems impossible to do in 2D point-&-click. Good example of progressive thinking.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #82
merely human

Just finished it! That was great fun!! Definitely agree with all the high review scores. Twas one damn amazing ride. Kudos to Rocksteady Studios!! Wish I had my own personal hunky batman.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #83
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Just finished it! That was great fun!! Definitely agree with all the high review scores. Twas one damn amazing ride. Kudos to Rocksteady Studios!! Wish I had my own personal hunky batman.
Congrats Trepsie Wish I had my own personal crazy doctor

Firefox rules
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #84

Yes! Batman:AA is one of the best games of this console generation, and maybe the best game based on a comic book in history.

Hiding in the shadows taking down thugs one at a time, while also doing stuff to make sure they know you're there somewhere (like using batarangs to cut down dudes you'd strung up so they land right in front of their buddies) is one of the most fun things I've done in a game all year.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #85

I'm playing it, and i'm enjoying it, its pretty good. However i think its a bit too easy, and the detective mode should be more complex, but overall its one of the best blockbusters of the year. Oh and i hate Games for Windows Live, its a pain in the ass, and has no benefict to me, hate that thing
Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #86

I've started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum about a week ago (currently, I'm at some 32% of the game; I'm playing at the slower pace) and I'm blown away by it! Like I wrote in my earlier posts, I mainly play adventures and have only a few favourite games outside the genre, so BAA came to be just what I needed. I won't go into the details about the game, because everything is allready written, and it's all aspects are IMO great. But the things that were crucial for me to even buy and play this game are the facts that this is TPS and the characters and enemies are human beings (well, almost).
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #87

I too am playing this game and loving the heck out of it. I agree with the adventure game feel to it. I hope that Adventure Game developers are looking at this game for ideas on how to make AGs with full 3D and direct control.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #88

So after some initial skepticism, then cautious optimism at the demo I got around to playing the full game (on PC with a 360 pad) and must admit to being duly impressed.

Minor niggles about obvious mocap and excessive shinyness remain - also why the hell press A to run? ... like Mario 64 never happened - but really, it looks stunning with sound to match and, more importantly, when you start getting into the more open areas and acquire a few more gadgets and abilities the gameplay really opens up.

It succeeds simultaneously at capturing the effortless hand-to-hand brawling Batman is capable of AND the cat & mouse game of invisibly picking off increasingly nervous thugs one by one.

I thought some of the Riddler achievements were better than others. The riddles connected to objects in the world and the invisible question marks were really clever, but the hidden trophies are stupid and neither fit the fiction nor add anything to gameplay.

Not really a spoiler but just in case:
Spoiler:
I wasn't as blown away by the Scarecrow sections as I was led to expect since others like Vampire Bloodlines and Alice have done this sort of thing before, messing with space and perception... but it was pretty good.

To even refer to this as a good license game is doing it a disservice. This is an excellent stealth/action-adventure entirely on its own merits.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 11-21-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #89

During the opening of the 2009 VGA Awards, a sequel to Arkham Asylum was announced:

http://arkhamhasmoved.com
Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #90
merely human

Yep, I got wind of that. Good times ahead.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #91
The Quiet One

Oh, man, I can't wait for it! I love Arkham Asylum and a whole new Batman game, possibly set in an open-world Gotham City, will be amazing. Mark Hamill's Joker always brings 'a smile to my face'. I love his voice acting.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #92
Psychonaut

Hopefully it is based on the "No Man's Land" storyline of the late 90's.

Gotham had suffered an earthquake and the government quanintined the city (Blew up all the bridges).

Gangs take over parts of the city and Batman and Gordon have to reclaim it back bit by but.

Would be perfect for the game.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #93
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Hopefully it is based on the "No Man's Land" storyline of the late 90's.

Gotham had suffered an earthquake and the government quanintined the city (Blew up all the bridges).

Gangs take over parts of the city and Batman and Gordon have to reclaim it back bit by but.

Would be perfect for the game.
I am reading No Man's land right now (currently at book 4), and it is an amazing series of stories. It would be truly awesome if they adapt that to a video game. I think it would fit perfectly in the video game format (different sections with different gangs controlling them, and you fight your way through each one of the sections securing each one). Maybe they will also add the batgirl sidekick?

Firefox rules
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #94

I think its too soon for a sequel (if it comes in 2010). I can already see Eidos milking the franchise like in Tomb Raider, a game per year. But lets wait and see.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #95
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Looking at the site it seems that Two Face is gonna make an appearance this time around.
Also I've heard club iceberg is seen in the trailer so that could mean Peguin will appear too!

Wonder if the jokers poor state in the trailer is from what the Titan formula had done to his body or if it's supposed to be set a long time after the first game and hes just allot older?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #96
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
I think its too soon for a sequel (if it comes in 2010). I can already see Eidos milking the franchise like in Tomb Raider, a game per year. But lets wait and see.
I'm with you on this, Roper Klacks. Arkham Asylum seemed like a good one-off game to me, I don't think it warrants a sequel, at least not so soon. I realise it only scraped the surface of the Batman universe, but this quick turnaround suggests that we're going to be seeing the same set pieces in a similar style. Plus Joker is the main villain again? Not particularly original. It's not that I didn't like Arkham Asylum, it is one of the best games of this year, but it didn't leave me wanting more in the way some games do. I'd be more interested to see what else Rocksteady could do, perhaps with another license.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #97
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchpenny View Post
I'm with you on this, Roper Klacks. Arkham Asylum seemed like a good one-off game to me, I don't think it warrants a sequel, at least not so soon. I realise it only scraped the surface of the Batman universe, but this quick turnaround suggests that we're going to be seeing the same set pieces in a similar style. Plus Joker is the main villain again? Not particularly original. It's not that I didn't like Arkham Asylum, it is one of the best games of this year, but it didn't leave me wanting more in the way some games do. I'd be more interested to see what else Rocksteady could do, perhaps with another license.
Hm. I actually agree with this. But as I loved the first I can't wait to see what they come up with for the sequel.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #98
Banned User

All of this is like saying "They shouldn't release the next harry potter film a year after the previous."

This game was planned to be a trilogy from the start. There is nothing wrong with what they are doing.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #99
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
This game was planned to be a trilogy from the start.
Where's that info?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #100
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Where's that info?
I won't state my source. Hasn't been announced.