Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   World of Goo (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/23518-world-goo.html)

Ninja Dodo 10-27-2008 11:38 AM

World of Goo

World of Goo!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/imag...oo/wog14sm.jpg

I'm surprised no one has made a thread about this yet. This game is awesome.

(demo to be found here)

Before I wasn't honestly that fussed about the game having played the Tower of Goo experiment that this was originally based on. I mean, it was a fun idea, but I didn't see how they were going to much expand on that...

Above rantings of Rock Paper Shotgun won me over though, and I'm glad I tried it. One of the most wonderfully unique puzzle games I've had the pleasure of playing in, well, ever.

Ninja Dodo 10-29-2008 01:35 PM

What, I'm the only one who likes this game?

I was under the impression you guys are fond of puzzles...

Squinky 10-29-2008 01:45 PM

Maybe we're too busy playing it to write about it. ;)

MoriartyL 10-30-2008 09:49 AM

I bought it for Wii today. It's entertaining.

Jackal 10-30-2008 10:33 AM

Too much to do, too little time. Definitely plan to try it at some point, though.

Stinger 11-01-2008 10:39 AM

It is incredibly addictive. I spent hours on the bridge level (the one in your screenshot). My tendency was to move too quickly at first but then I slowed down, got a lot more deliberate with the weight distribution, and the whole thing made much more sense. I don't think there's a game out there with better pure physics.

Just what WiiWare needed right now, I think.

MoriartyL 11-02-2008 03:05 PM

Whoa. Toward the end of the game, it suddenly (and jarringly) turns into a totally different kind of game. I actually like the new game better, so I'm not complaining at all. But still- weirdness incarnate. There must be people who just stop playing at this point, because they like puzzle games better.

Ascovel 11-03-2008 01:16 PM

This game is great fun, but I finished only the demo for now. I'm too busy to play the full version at the moment. :(

Kolzig 01-30-2009 02:00 PM

One of my most favourite games of 2008. :)

World of Goo was simply amazing, I love these smaller games that completely rock my world.

MdaG 01-31-2009 01:37 AM

I would love for this game to come out on the X360, but I guess chances are slim for that to happen. :(

Ninja Dodo 01-31-2009 04:22 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. You could just get it on PC though... the specs are not very taxing.

MdaG 01-31-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo (Post 494553)
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. You could just get it on PC though... the specs are not very taxing.

Yup. When the Linux version goes gold I might get it.

Denaron 02-02-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig (Post 494498)
One of my most favourite games of 2008. :)

World of Goo was simply amazing, I love these smaller games that completely rock my world.

Totally agree with you!

DeadPoolX 02-04-2009 09:43 AM

This is a really fun game. My wife and I often play it together on the Wii. One part that's really frustrating is when you have to align boxes. They move or fall at the slightest touch, which rapidly becomes annoying.

Trumgottist 10-17-2009 12:29 PM

This week only, the game is on sale, where you can pay as much as you want for it.

Update: It is fun indeed.

ozzie 10-18-2009 05:14 PM

I paid all the money for it I had to spare the past week, which was 3,72€ (something like 5,20).
So far I played the first five levels or so. I liked it, the presentation is slick, the controls easy, it's all very accessible. I'm not addicted to it, though. ;)

geggis 10-19-2009 12:49 AM

It's one of the best games I've ever played. I don't think I've been bowled over so many times in one game, grinning from ear to ear as you use a new goo or manage a fiendish solution to a fiendish puzzle.

The game maintains a great sense of fun and whimsy throughout but, surprisingly, in places feels really haunting or lonely thanks to a wonderful soundtrack and lush visuals. The twist towards the end as Moriarty mentions is a great change in direction and keeps the game feeling fresh just when it could've started to feel a little staid. I adored it and rank it up there with Portal.

Buy it for any price you want while you can (offer ends today!) :D

DustyShinigami 10-19-2009 03:44 AM

Just donated some cash and I'm now downloading it. :)

I've never played this game before, so I hope it's worth it considering all the praise it's received.

geggis 10-19-2009 04:18 AM

Nice one Gazzoid. Let us know how you get on with it!

DustyShinigami 10-19-2009 05:47 AM

I've just played some of it. It certainly looks like good fun, the gameplay seems quite creative and the goo balls are funny. :D The first few levels are ridiculously easy, but I'm starting to feel the difficulty increase, which is good.

I'm on the first goo-balloon level.

geggis 10-19-2009 06:05 AM

The first world gently introduces you to the organised chaos of goos and then it gets trickier from there. The real difficulty is getting Obsessive Completion Distinction (OCD). Some of these rely on twitch responses and reflexes but some require you to be economical with your moves and careful about goo positioning. It's very satisfying sussing out the best way to get that accolade and in some cases I had to give in and move on!

ukpetd 10-19-2009 06:47 AM

World of Goo

Once you've played the game, there are over 50 fan-made levels to add in available from goo-fans.com. They should keep you busy for a little while!

geggis 10-19-2009 06:53 AM

REALLY?! Wow thanks! I finished it ages ago and have been craving more World of Goo-dness for ages. Sorry I couldn't help that pun...