Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   The Sims 2 : who is gonna buy it here ? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/2341-sims-2-who-gonna-buy-here.html)

Leonard Shelby 03-06-2004 04:25 PM

The Sims 2 : who is gonna buy it here ?

I'm really anticipating the long awaited follow up to the cult game from Maxis and it seems this time it s more aim at adults with some really ambiguous pics and situations :D

What s your thoughts ? Do you think Maxis plans to make a more "adult" oriented game this time ?

D.C. 03-06-2004 04:26 PM

Not me. The first game was okay, but it got old pretty fast. My sister will most likely buy it though. :)

tabacco 03-06-2004 05:55 PM

The first game bored the hell out of me, so I don't think I'll be investing in the sequel :)

Zygomaticus 03-06-2004 06:06 PM

My experience with The Sims is similar to Serial Freak's.

For a while, it was crazy good. I remember staying up till 4 or 5 in the morning playing it just because I lost all track of time. But then it lost its draw and I just couldn't play it anymore. Got too monotonous for me... :(

SamandMax 03-06-2004 06:28 PM

The sequel doesn't seem to be adding much to the game. It just seems like a better looking expansion pack.

Starflux 03-07-2004 01:05 AM

I'm going to avoid it like sauerkraut.

zarathustrian 03-07-2004 09:10 AM

The first game was compelling--for all of five minutes. I'll pass on the sequel, thanks.

Tanukitsune 03-07-2004 10:11 AM

Not me, I liked the other Maxis games better, Sim City, Sim Tower, etc....

Why won't Maxis do a new original Sim game? Sim Badger? Sim Roach? Sim Godzilla? Sim Butcher? :P

mag 03-07-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Shelby
Do you think Maxis plans to make a more "adult" oriented game this time ?
Yes. EA Games presents The Sims XXX. :)

Like others here, though, there's probably no way I'll ever play this unless I get a free copy with my next computer (that's how I got the first Sims). I played the original for all of about five minutes before I became bored with it. I can't understand why anyone would want to play that game. But I guess there are people who like it, and that's what counts.

mag

Leonard Shelby 03-07-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mag
I can't understand why anyone would want to play that game. But I guess there are people who like it, and that's what counts.
mag

It s what we can call a matter of taste :devil:

I did enjoy it and will enjoy the new one for sure .

It s certainly more interesting than watching a real tv show isn't it (well it s the same but it s more "interactive" since you re acting on the characters (or not) *D) .

Anyway, i see nobody likes this game here but it did sold millions and millons of copies and is still the best selling game ever on PC (nothing less) so there s surely people who like it :D

D.C. 03-07-2004 07:07 PM

I think lots of people bought it though and discovered that it got old fast. :)

Leonard Shelby 03-07-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerialFreak
I think lots of people bought it though and discovered that it got old fast. :)

It wasn t old so fast for me ;)

I did play it one or two hours then would go to another game (or vacation) and would come back the next day ect .

I just think there s something attractive to it (hum voyeurism anyone :P :D), it s kinda like an interactive real tv show (or a giant tamagochi) :D

Will play it between hours into Farenheit :7

D.C. 03-07-2004 07:14 PM

I don't like reality TV either. :) (Although I admit Big Brother is pretty addictive :))

tabacco 03-07-2004 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamandMax
The sequel doesn't seem to be adding much to the game. It just seems like a better looking expansion pack.

I will say that there's some cool tech stuff under the sequel. One neat thing is that there's a really cool aging and genetics system in place. Characters are born, age, and die. Plus, parents pass on traits to their children fairly realistically, with recessive/dominant traits and everything taken into account.

Unfortunately, the basic gameplay is still the same, so no thanks :)

Leonard Shelby 03-07-2004 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
I will say that there's some cool tech stuff under the sequel. One neat thing is that there's a really cool aging and genetics system in place. Characters are born, age, and die. Plus, parents pass on traits to their children fairly realistically, with recessive/dominant traits and everything taken into

There s an ADN ' s system which makes children of a couple on the game looking like their parents, sounds interesting :D

Skinkie 03-07-2004 07:55 PM

Dude, there's two chicks kissing in one of their screenshots, and there's another with this girl bent over and the guy is looking at her butt. They're definately targeting a new audience.

Moron Lite 03-07-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

I will say that there's some cool tech stuff under the sequel. One neat thing is that there's a really cool aging and genetics system in place. Characters are born, age, and die. Plus, parents pass on traits to their children fairly realistically, with recessive/dominant traits and everything taken into account.

Unfortunately, the basic gameplay is still the same, so no thanks :)

I think the stuff you mentioned will actually change the game quite a bit, obscuring what we could consider "the basic gameplay".

remixor 03-07-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

cult game

Whoa there, what the whoa hey what?

Pappapisshu 03-07-2004 10:12 PM

At least we know they're not going to cancel this game in mid-production. I guess that's some sort of comfort...or something.

tabacco 03-07-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moron Lite
I think the stuff you mentioned will actually change the game quite a bit, obscuring what we could consider "the basic gameplay".

Not really, no. It's still all about little fake people doing nothing much. If I want to watch people, I'll go outside.

Moron Lite 03-07-2004 10:43 PM

Quote:

Not really, no. It's still all about little fake people doing nothing much. If I want to watch people, I'll go outside.

So what constitutes people doing something much, as opposed to nothing much? Is falling in love, having children, and so on 'nothing much'? Aren't all game characters "little fake people"? And while you can just sit back and watch your Sims like you would the people outside, that's hardly 'gameplay' you're talking about.

tabacco 03-08-2004 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moron Lite
So what constitutes people doing something much, as opposed to nothing much? Is falling in love, having children, and so on 'nothing much'? Aren't all game characters "little fake people"? And while you can just sit back and watch your Sims like you would the people outside, that's hardly 'gameplay' you're talking about.

To each his own, I guess. If that sort of thing entertains you, then best of luck with it.

Moron Lite 03-08-2004 01:10 AM

Quote:

To each his own, I guess. If that sort of thing entertains you, then best of luck with it.

Heh, I don't play The Sims. I'm just making a point.

Leonard Shelby 03-08-2004 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinkie
Dude, there's two chicks kissing in one of their screenshots, and there's another with this girl bent over and the guy is looking at her butt. They're definately targeting a new audience.

You're definitively right (that what i was saying in my first post about it) and here is the proof :

http://thesims2.ea.com/images/screen...eenshot_34.jpg

zarathustrian 03-09-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

You're definitively right (that what i was saying in my first post about it) and here is the proof :

http://thesims2.ea.com/images/screen...eenshot_34.jpg

So...are you saying they're now targeting bikini-clad lesbians? Or suit-wearing voyeuristic perverts?

mag 03-09-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

Anyway, i see nobody likes this game here but it did sold millions and millons of copies and is still the best selling game ever on PC (nothing less) so there s surely people who like it
That's kind of what I was trying to say at the end of my last post. Even though I personally don't like the game or understand why other people would like the game, it's obviously doing something right. The Sims just seems to me to be a little too much work to simulate what I do all the time anyway.

Of course, the bikini-clad lesbians don't hurt. For Will Wright's next game I want to see Grand Theft Auto: Sim City.

mag

Kingzjester 03-09-2004 08:58 PM

The bed casts no shadow, but the kissin' gals' shadow has burned a hole through the carpet.... In all, that shot looks like a quirky episode from some sixties sitcom...