You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo continues to disappoint

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default Nintendo continues to disappoint

Nintendo's just announced a bunch of "new" games for Wii: a port of Pikmin, a port of Another Code, a port of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, a port of Klonoa.

I'm glad more people will play Pikmin, but they can already play Pikmin. Anyone with a Wii can play the little Gamecube classic. And while a remake is a better idea than a sequel, why bother revisiting it at all? Why not do something new? And Klonoa? Seriously? I played the PS1 version (of which this will apparently by a more-or-less direct port), and it was a decent game but not worth being resurrected eleven years later. It wasn't as good as the GBA game, even.

Thank god for homebrew, which makes the system worth something.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Master of time and space

My Wii is collecting dust and I'm going to give it to my brother for christmas. The most fun I've had on the Wii is playing Metroid Prime 1 & 2. PS2 and X360 are my platforms instead. Both continues to impress me.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Not like them!

I'm intrigued by "Cosmic Walker", whatever that is.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Psychonaut

The new DSi is a joke as well.

Whats the point with a miniscule screen increase and a crappy camera?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #5

What are you talking about?

Another code doesn't look like a port at all!

First of all, the graphics and interface look completely different (and pretty amazing IMHO). Second (of all), it has a sub-title that wasn't there in the first game. Third, the 2-second footage seen so far contains characters that weren't there in the first game. All these hints point to the fact that this is a wii sequel for Another Code, making this the second ever wii-exclusive adventure game

All in all, I was pretty excited with the games Nintendo showed at the conference. Of course I would prefer to see more adventure games, but 1 is certainly much more (times infinity) than the number of adventure games I expected to see on that conference...

Edit: I forgot to say I'm also pretty excited about the gamecube remakes. I heard they are going to add wii-controls to those games, and playing metroid prime 1/2 would definitely be much better with the wii pointer. Pikmin could also benifit from a pointer interface.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Not like them!

The only Gamecube port I'm excited about is Chibi Robo. Not that I'd want to play it- as with the others, I'm quite happy with the GCN version. But it means another chance to get a following, which in turn means higher probability of a sequel.

Metroid Prime and Pikmin aren't going to be do any good, I think, but aren't going to be any worse than the originals.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat can't possibly be as cool without the drums.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

Not to mention no GBA port, which is a big no purchase for me.

Firefox rules
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
I've seen a few people speculating that its Nintendo making use of the architecture they're putting together for the true DS successor. The DSlite is still in production after all.

To my mind, DSi is now the essential young girl 'get'. DS seems to have become the introductory console for new girl gamers. The cameras (one still camera and one web cam), better online/community features (web browser), and built in media player and radio just amplify that.

The update of interest to gamers is the on-board memory for better wii/nintendo online service integration. Being able to dowload and play games on the DS (legitimately) is a big incentive.

The .25 inches bigger screens and a shorter battery life are not selling points.

GBA games are not produced anymore, the average punter would be hard pressed to find them on shelves (probably why they're so damn expensive on ebay). The only people suffering from no GBA slot are those with a large gba collection, who already have devices to play them. And those people who currently have slot 2 devices such as the Guitar Hero On Tour grip or the Space Invaders paddle (only sold in Japan anyway).

My biggest hope for the DSi, now that it embraces on board memory and importantly, micro SD storage, is that the DSi becomes a properly supported eBook platform.

I already use my black DSlite as an ebook platform thanks to the wonderful DSLibris homebrew software. I get questions and positive comments about it every day on the train. Development on it is slow however, it is a casual hobby for a few people after all, and it only supports books in strict xhtml 1.0 format.

eBooks are well due their moment in the sun ala iTunes and the mp3. But the current and upcoming crop of ebook readers are outlandishly expensive. The DS however, turned on its side makes an awesome pocket sized book reader, and putting aside all its intended use features its like a 5th of the cost of an ebook reader.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Psychonaut

I have a Sony Reader which is ace for ebooks. Not a perfect device but a superb set in the right direction.

Never tried the DS for ebooks.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #10

:/ I want more actual traditional game games. The Wii-Mote is amazing tech, but not every game needs to do something creative with motion control. I'd love something like a new Zelda or some really cool action game. I never thought I'd want a PS3 as bad as I do, but with RE5 not coming for Wii or the new MK vs DC or many other games that I get really excited about.

It's not all bad. The new Tales game looks pretty good as do some of the other RPG types. I like how Trace Memory looks. I don't read the Japanese at all, but I am fairly sure I saw a game that looked like Sin and Punishment 2 (the title had three symbols and a 2, so I'm near positive that's what it was). I'm SO SO excited about AC:City Folk. I hope the online capabilities are good.

I still want a PS3.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #11

They're also releasing Animal Crossing!

I've been disappointed with Nintendo for quite some time. The Wii console is becoming a bit of a novelty for me - the fun just wears off after a while.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games I bought then sold after a few days, almost sprained my hand playing the damn thing. I'm guessing it only sold copies because it featured Mario and Sonic.

I have about 10 games but I only play Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 on it every couple of years.

Last edited by Reflection; 10-04-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #12
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I actually seem to be going in the opposite direction from most people here:

I never owned a Nintendo system until a year ago, but now I'm completely hooked on my DS and Wii, on top of that I think I'm about to sell my 360 because I don't play it anymore.

I think both systems have great potential as adventure gaming platforms, providing enough developers actually jump on board with the idea.
Admittedly the new DS doesn't exactly seem like a huge leap forward from the current one, although one aspect that may interest me is the WiiWare style download service, hopefully it will encourage independent developers to come up with some really interesting stuff.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #13

I don't know how anyone with multiple gaming systems has time to 'run out of' good games.

Unless you're foolish enough to buy a system based on 'potential' surely you must have felt the purchase was justified with the games that were available at the time? Else why did you buy it?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
I don't know how anyone with multiple gaming systems has time to 'run out of' good games.

Unless you're foolish enough to buy a system based on 'potential' surely you must have felt the purchase was justified with the games that were available at the time? Else why did you buy it?
Don't patronize. I can't afford multiple gaming systems. I bought the Wii for a few games I wanted, and I enjoyed those. But now I'm waiting and waiting and it doesn't look like any other games are coming. The four good games I knew I'd be getting aren't worth a $250 system. And there was no way I could have known, at the time, that the releases would dry up.

Why did I buy it? Because it's not unreasonable to assume that where there are some games, there are soon going to be more. This is a very unusual situation, here.

In short: shut up.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post

What a provoking thing to say.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #16

Okay maybe poor choice of words on my part but it was not my intention to provoke. I genuinely don't get the idea of waiting for more games to come to a system, unless you have but one (including PC).

If you run out of games on a system, you just play something else for a while, and maybe if the situation changes you'll get back to it. If not, then you've had your fun with it.

I've bought all of six games for my PS2. I haven't played it in ages. Does that mean I regret the purchase? No.

I'm sorry if my post offended you.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #17

Some of the games you mentioned aren't even ports and you neglected to mention the ton of cool-looking games that got announced at their press conferences.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
Not like them!

Such as? I must have missed the really exciting news.

I am looking forward to Captain Rainbow, made by Skip. I just played Orbient for WiiWare, which they apparently made, and it's great. Chibi Robo was also great. So I highly doubt this won't be great, whatever it is.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
Not like them!

Hey, look at this!

"Let's Tap"

Looks like a collection of mini-games. If it works as advertised, that's pretty neat.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #20
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Such as? I must have missed the really exciting news.
Well, alot of people seems to be exited about Sin & Punishment 2, the first one was apparently pretty great.
Also Cave Strory (a independent freeware game) gets a Wiiware port. Another game I've been meaning to check out for a while.

Probably the most exiting news for me, at least.