The new Prince of Persia - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The new Prince of Persia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #1

Default The new Prince of Persia

So I guess there's no separate thread about this yet...

I'm a bit on the fence about this game. While I'm mostly liking the painterly visual style (apart from maybe the outlines) I'm really not sure I want to play Okami again as I just spent 60 or so hours doing so already on PS2 and the core mechanic of banishing darkness here seems a little too similar.

The acrobatics feel less grounded and more anime now than in previous Prince games, one of the defining features of the series always being a sense of reality to the movement... In the footage they've shown so far some of the jumps and attacks especially feel really weightless.

I have two questions:

Why does the Prince have an American accent?

And why does Elika look like Natalie Portman?

Seriously, good looking girl, but are she and Angelina Jolie really the only reference game artists use for attractive women?

I applaud the reboot relative to the last two games as that was not a good direction for the series, but I feel they're also losing some of what was great about Sands of Time, or for that matter even the 2D originals.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm not a fan of the Prince of Persia series, but I think that this one's graphics are extremely beautiful to look at - cell-shading is definitively one of my favorite techniques

I also think that the outlines gives a vintage look to the image that's totally fitting
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
And why does Elika look like Natalie Portman?
She doesn't really, her face is a lot slimmer than Portman, wider jaw, smaller chin and lacks Portman's distinctive, girlishly high and pronounced cheekbones.

I think she favours Adriana Lima more than Natalie Portman, but you could make a case for many pouty lingerie models...
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #4

Well, I was thinking more of this picture. Maybe it's more in the concept art than the in-game, but still. She certainly doesn't look Persian.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Confused

She really does look quite a bit like Natalie Portman there!

My real question about this game is has it done away with the time rewinding mechanic? I only recently played Sands of Time and really enjoyed it. I do like the visual style tho. I'll probably pick it up.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #6

Yeah no more time-play. It's all about the Okami darkness now.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Headbanger

I really like the three previous games (well Warrior Within was no more then all right). I'm looking forward to play Assassin's Creed (I'm slow, I know) and the new Prince of Persia but I'm a bit sceptic about this one. Cell-shading is great but this looks wrong. I'll wait until I know more (like for example the game's theme) before making judgments though.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #8

That game is an incredible piece of art. Remember the Prince of Persia from the era of IBM 386! Imagine someone would show you this game at that time for a minute. Who could believe?!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Adventure Game Researcher

I agree re the cell shading, i am sorry as i have been a student and fan of all the previous units of the series, but that outline is just unacceptable. I am an artist by profession and such a visual forcing and imposition is just not bearable. I am sorry for i am sure they did some nice work on the sets and the figures....but it was too far.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #10

new trailer is out and it looks extremely good against previous trailers, locations are full of win, i will play just for locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkx09DGMeh4

click HQ

also new pics at IGN.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #11

Ubisoft seems to have developed a curious habit of scoring their trailers with relatively obscure pop-songs. Kinda works though.

I still like the overall aesthetic, except that the style of movement (especially in combat) seems more Final Fantasy than Prince of Persia, but I think the game is trying too hard to be Okami and both main characters seem much too Western. The fact that they also seem to be using Elika as a tool for lots of handholding makes me worry that even the fun of figuring out how to traverse environments will be lost.

Prince of Persia needed a reboot after the last two games, but this is not it for me. I guess you need Mechner to do a true PoP game.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
handsome

The game looks great, only the title is wrong.

But that song --' come on... So lame.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Headbanger

Quote:
Ubisoft seems to have developed a curious habit of scoring their trailers with relatively obscure pop-songs. Kinda works though.

I still like the overall aesthetic, except that the style of movement (especially in combat) seems more Final Fantasy than Prince of Persia...
I totally agree. Although in my case it's more "I like the overall aesthetics after seeing the new trailer...".

The fighting didn't give me the same feel of old adventurefilms like the previous games. Easy on the glowing effects please.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:

I still like the overall aesthetic, except that the style of movement (especially in combat) seems more Final Fantasy than Prince of Persia, but I think the game is trying too hard to be Okami and both main characters seem much too Western. The fact that they also seem to be using Elika as a tool for lots of handholding makes me worry that even the fun of figuring out how to traverse environments will be lost.

Prince of Persia needed a reboot after the last two games, but this is not it for me. I guess you need Mechner to do a true PoP game.

More like babysitting, i hate when she teleports anf ly like superman and throwing you, if she can fly and babysit you , whats the point of jumping and platforming?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #15

Ah, you mean the console version. It does look nice, but I thought you meant the awesome looking new DS PoP game. See the trailer here.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Roman5

Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #17
Adventure Game Researcher

wow i can't wait to play that NEW version of POP

hmmm, time warp must have gotten in here..

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience View Post
Ah, you mean the console version. It does look nice, but I thought you meant the awesome looking new DS PoP game. See the trailer here.
Dunno, looks kind of unremarkable.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Dunno, looks kind of unremarkable.
You must not have liked the original PoP games then because this looks like it has some of the same types of great puzzles, better graphics with a new and beautiful art style, and the same great and fluid animation. What is not to like??
Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #20

Actually I love the first two. Honestly, I don't immediately see any gameplay that jumps out at me as being especially new and awesome and the art style doesn't do much for me either. Maybe I'm judging it too harshly, but I have enough of a backlog of unplayed excellence that can I afford to be picky...

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 11-04-2008 at 12:54 PM.