You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What is your opinion about Eastern Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #1

Default What is your opinion about Eastern Games?

Good day, Sorry for disturb your time. I'm doing my university project about Western gamers and their opinion about Eastern games. I want you to help me by do this questionnaire. Thank you for your time.

1.What is your favorite game's genre or name? And reason?

2.What is your least favorite game's genre or name? And reason?

3.What is your opinion about Eastern Games (Japan, Korea)?

4.Do you interest in Eastern Games (Japan, Korea) ? And reason?

5.Does the Eastern Culture (such as J-Pop, K-Pop, Ninja, Anime, Moe) has an influence in your gaming taste?

PS.Sorry for my bad English.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Technically I live in the Middle East, but Israel's very connected culturally to the Western world so I'll answer anyway. Besides, I get all my games from America. (I'm typing this up on an American Wii right now.)

My favorite game is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which I consider a metalude. The reason I love it, as well as metaludes in general, is that it gives me a big emotional journey through too many different kinds of gameplay to get old quicckly. My least favorite kind of game is sports action games, because I just don't see the point. But I'm likely to enjoy one if it's really simple (Wii Sports, for instance.)

I've never played a Korean game, but my feeling about Japanese games is that on average they're way better than American games and roughly on par with European games. I don't have any particular attachment to Japanese culture, but quality is quality, you know?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Homer of Kittens

The adventure genre because of the story, the characters and the overall great experience.

Japanese RPG's and MMO's. They are too long for my busy schedule, and there is a lot of repetition and grinding in them.

In general, I play mostly western games, because they appeal to me more. There are a few exceptions though, like the Metal Gear Solid series, Team ICO's games, Okami, and a lot of Nintendo's classic franchises (Zelda, Mario, etc...). Mostly none JRPG stuff.

See answer 3.

5.Does the Eastern Culture (such as J-Pop, K-Pop, Ninja, Anime, Moe) has an influence in your gaming taste?
I like animes a lot, but I don't necessarily like the anime based games (like the various Dragon ball, Pokemon, and Naruto). With a few exceptions, most of these games are poorly made, and they try to cheaply capitalize on the success of the anime, rather than the merit of the games themselves. It is the same thing here in the west with film-based games.

Hope that answers your questions

Firefox rules
Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

1. RPG - Stories
2. Shooters - Lack of brain use
3. I for the most part cannot stand Western games at all, the way hollywood killed movies, well, the same thing is happening to video games... I love eastern games.
4.see 3
5. I listen to alot of Jrock, mostly Gackt though, but i considered it selling out when his song went on dirge of cerebrus, so I dont normally like to see mainstream jap artists in the games.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Magoozelle

My favorite game's genre is Adventure - my favorite game is The Curse of Monkey Island.
My favorite genre of games is RPG. I enjoy playing out a character's story and fleshing it out in the way that appeals to me.
Not sure what exactly you were asking for there, so I gave you both answers.

Sports games. I find them boring as I have little interest in sports.

I do not have a bias for or against Eastern games. I play what looks good to me.

Sure do. I have interest in them because a good game is not defined by where it is made - it is defined by the quality of experience the game gives you. My favorite Eastern game is Shadow of the Colossus.

No. I listen to Asian "classical music" - that's about it. An example would be a musical composition for the traditional Chinese pipa.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starknight View Post
MMO's - i just enjoy building my character and seeing it through to its completion.

Sport games - just not where my interests are.

The ones i have tried tend to be either very cartoon and child-like or a bit over complicated stories. Also - the translation to english is normally extremely poor. I have encountered some amazingly deep stories but they are few and far between.

I enjoy the themes and the culture so if i thought there was a mature, well translated game available i would certainly try it.

I have only even heard of Ninja and Anime and i quite like them both when in an adult, non extremist context.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Club a seal or two

Japanese games are mostly derivative, but occasionally there are sparks of sheer brilliance.
There's never been a good game to come out of Korea. That's for a fact. But don't quote me on it.