You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone bought any rare game related stuff for cheap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #1

Default Anyone bought any rare game related stuff for cheap?

Just wondering, has anyone come across really expensive, rare items for a really cheap price? Might even find a trend going on that could help us all on those ebay bidding wars, eh?

For me, for anyone who's checked, trying to find a copy of the Myst IV: Revelation player's guide for anything under £40 has their work cut out for them. In fact, I've seen it go around £70-90 on Amazon at times.

However, there was one guy who was selling a copy of the guide with the actual game, and started bidding at £5.00.

However, his photo was just a stock photo of the game and nothing else. I only found out he was selling the guide with it because he mentioned it obscurely in one of the paragraphs and my google search engine found it.

So I bid... and got the game and guide for £7 including postage!!! I sold the game as I already have a copy, so in the end it only added up to £4.00. Awesome.

Another time was when I ordered a new Japanese copy of Ikaruga for the Dreamcast off of an asian videogame site (about £70 I think). Later that day I asked them to cancel it as I'd found it cheaper somewhere else, so they refunded me my £70.

Then, about a month later, I had a brand spanking new copy of Ikaruga come through the post. It seems they sent the item before cancelling my order. So I got it absolutely free.

Anyone else with some great stories?

EDIT: I've just realised this has been posted in the wrong section. Can someone redirect it to the general section?

Last edited by Terramax; 08-07-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
The Quiet One

Not exactly a great story, but i did manage to win a copy of I'm Gonna Git You Sucka on dvd, off ebay, for about £6-7. The dvd has become a bit rare to get and i think, the last time i checked, it was about £15+ on amazon. What made this sort of great was the fact that, as the auction was ending, nobody else bid on it. I think the last person who bid on it, took it up to £5 but then must've forgotten about it something. So it was just me bidding on it and nobody else, which was fantastic. That's the second item i've managed to win off ebay and was a bargain. I just can't bloody win any auctions.

Ah, actually the greatest story i have is an item i bought off ebay last year. Brace yourself, this is a biggish story...

It was a game called Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase. Now this game's special to me and my brother because it was the first ever PC CD-ROM game we had, and played, when we had our first computer off our cousins. Actually i think there were some other games but this was the only one we went on. We found it very addictive.
Unfortunately around my final year at school the disc somehow got cracked and was unplayable. I ended up doing a copy of it and slung the actual disc. A few years later i got a Windows ME computer and tried to install the game using my copied version. For some strange reason it wouldn't even install. Found out only last year that the game just won't work on a ME machine but it does on XP. I mean, ME is quite similar to 98 so surely it would've worked? But, anway... thinking that the game was as good as knackered, i slung my copied version away along with the box and manual. And that was that. We never played it again for a good few years.
Then a year or two ago, me and my brother remembered it. I soon started searching around on the net for a place to buy it, but... nothing. Quite disappointing. Ended up finding a website, whilst at college, that, er... *ahem* had it available for download. Downloaded it onto one of the college's computers but it was too big to copy onto a floppy disc to take home. We didn't have the internet at home and I didn't have a pen drive at the time either. When we did have the internet it wouldn't even download because something was preventing it. Turned out to only be the firewall. So then me and my brother were able to play it. But i missed having the actual CD and box. I thought it'd be cool to find a copy somewhere on ebay and add it to my collection. Kept searching on amazon, play and ebay for it but it wasn't available anywhere. It was like it had vanished off the face of the planet.
Then, one morning when i woke up, something told me to check ebay for it again. I did, and there it was for as little as £5 (£7 with postage). The only copy i've ever seen on ebay and ever likely to see. Someone had made an offer for less (what the hell that person thought was wrong with the original price i've no idea) but it was rejected. So i swiped it up. The original CD, box, manual and registration card. It's like it had never left the house. Definitely meant to be. And i still can't believe i've got the actual copy in my collection. It's now one of my prized possessions.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 08-07-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

The neverhood at a computer fair brand new for around £2? i loved that!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #4

In the US we have a store that gets PC games cheap called Big Lots and a lot of the older PC games are being released for $6. It was great to find Space Quest and Police Quest collections for that price.

But I still am looking for that cheap priced Grim Fandango.