You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Giant Bomb and the Bombcast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #1

Default Giant Bomb and the Bombcast

I don't know if any of you used to listen to the gaming podcast The Hotspot at Gamespot back before Gerstmann-gate but I did and it was pretty interesting and often hilarious. Needless to say, I was disappointed to see Jeff Gerstmann and the others depart over the big Kane & Lynch scandal.

They're back now though with another podcast, but it's also surrounded by a new site that has some neat stuff, in particular a wiki-like database of gaming covering such diverse topics as who is associated with, say, Mario, or Manny Calavera and how many games have hamburgers in them. It's an interesting experiment. Maybe some of us could go over there and fill out the adventury side of things...

My username as always is "ninjadodo".

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 07-26-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #2

So am I the only one who finds this interesting or is it just 'not done' to link to another gaming website? I figure AG and Bomb both serve different purposes, so...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Very insightful indeed: http://www.giantbomb.com/video-thing-2human/17-29/

I like the idea behind the website (wiki stuff), but Jeff Gertsmann annoys the living hell out of me.

Firefox rules
Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #4

I dunno, I thought the rap thing was vaguely funny. They have more interesting videos than that though. The Braid video review for example was rather well done... and the podcast is always good fun.

And yeah, the wiki. It's expanding to pretty awesome proportions now.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 08-22-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
So am I the only one who finds this interesting or is it just 'not done' to link to another gaming website? I figure AG and Bomb both serve different purposes, so...
I don't understand your question. No one here criticized you for posting the link. Happens all the time.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #6

Well, I was wondering why no one responded. Those were the two explanations that initially came to mind...

I think it's a cool idea anyway.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

Well, I assure you that choice 2 wasn't an issue. Based on its title, I actually thought your thread was about a game. I only read it today for the first time.

I'll probably check out the site, though I haven't had time yet.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Magoozelle

I don't much care for their reviews. Any site that declares that Grand Theft Auto IV has the "greatest game story of all time, both in content and how it’s integrated into the rest of the game" is not a site for me.

They said that back when Giant Bomb was a blog. I've been back to visit the new site a few times and I think they're way to generous on any game that's mainstream and gotten lots of hype.

Maybe I'm just too jaded but I don't trust "one size fits all" review sites anymore. I like the reviews on specialty sites for the genres I like most, such as this site, because the people writing the reviews like the genre and (hopefully) know its history.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #9

Since I have yet to play GTAIV I can't comment on its story, but I can tell you that I disagree plenty with the guys who run Giant Bomb. Gerstmann for example really can't get into ICO or Shadow of the Colossus which are some of my favourite games... Their tastes by and large are not the same as mine, which is fine. Doesn't mean they're not still interesting to listen to.

I think it's healthy to seek out opinions you don't always agree with.

As far as being too generous I think that's the same as arguing over whether Twilight Princess deserved an 8 or a 9 or-- WHO CARES? They rate highly the games that they honestly enjoy and they happen to really enjoy a lot of mainstream games. There's nothing wrong with that. You'll notice they don't hesitate to mark down mediocre titles (Too Human) triple-A hype or no, and their praise is by no means reserved for mainstream only. "Braid" which is probably the least mainstream game in years to meet with any kind of success is one of their highest rated games ever (5 stars)...

That said, even if you don't read the reviews, the wiki is awesome.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #10

They put up a video of the panel they did at PAX with Rich, Matt and Alex who also used to be at Gamespot where they talk a bit about the motivations behind the site and what led up to it. Worth a watch.