You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #21
In an evening of July...

I very much enjoyed the Fallout 3 trailer, despite the average graphics, obvious early stage of development and the remote resemblance with Hellgate: London. I'm sure it will be fun to play, but I also am certain that many Fallout fanboys were not satisfied with what has been shown in the trailer.

Even if it will become Oblivion with guns, it'll at least have guns.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Does anyone know the name of the music used in the Prince of Persia trailer? I rather like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBTH2E5QPEE

Sigur Ros - Saeglopur

I think they are Icelandic.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #23

damn this E3 will be an epic fail if it doesnt have Heavy Rain
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBTH2E5QPEE

Sigur Ros - Saeglopur

I think they are Icelandic.
Thank you much.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #25
Psychonaut

Sony's Turn

Well I can't say I was blown away by any of that.

Resistance 2 looked excellent. The playthrough with the giant monster was ace. Same trailer as previously posted.

Doing your sales presentation as a Little Big Planet level - Priceless. A cute idea and a great way to promote the range of LBP customisation (out in October)

New downloadable Ratchet and Clank - Quest for Booty looked like fun.

Gran Tourismo TV - Yawn

Still no date for Home - Arrrrrrrrrrggggh although the themed areas looked nice. They need to bloody release this already.

New TV service from today - *shrug*

Resistance on the PSP was a surprise. Looks ace and I might actually play my PSP for the first time in about a year then. Other Highlights for PSP over the next year: Star Wars, Madden, LocoRoco, NBA, a new Lego franchise, Patapon 2, Buzz quiz game with ad-hoc play

Sony online with a MMO - DC Universe. Can't play any of the characters, but otherwise looks like City of Heroes.

New 80 gb PS3 for $399, no mention of lowering the other models.

A montage of developers kissing ass about the power of the PS3.

A very quick video of LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, MGS4, Guns of the Patriots, Quantum of Solace, SOCOM Confrontation, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Soul Calibur IV, Resistance 2, The Agency, Naruto Storm, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5, Singstar, Guitar Hero World Tour, NBA09: The Inside, Buzz Quiz TV, Killzone 2

Ok now to the nitty gritty.

A teaser trailer for God of War 3. (looked ok, but no gameplay of course)

A decent trailer for InFamous.

and the final surprise......

MAG - Massive Action Game.

A 256 player MMO FPS that allows people to work in 8 man teams, rise through the ranks to lead squads and take part in HUGE 256 player battles. All very SOCOM online like.

No motion Control, No Heavy Rain, No new PSP, not a lot of new game stuff.
Seem to concentrate more on the online aspect of the console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/hi...ss-conference/
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I was very disappointed in Nintendo's conference, almost as much as last year. (I watched it as it happened.)

Wii Sports 2 seemed obvious as soon as they announced the new remote attachment, but what they showed (Wii Sports Resort) didn't seem to be Wii Sports 2 so much as a new edition of Wii Play. Throwing Frisbees? What the heck? This is their big new release.

And while I'm on the subject of that add-on, it is an infuriating idea from so many angles. It was my understanding that all the things they showed players doing in Wii Sports Resort could be done with a normal remote. Stuff like wiggling your arm around precisely, and sword-fighting. That's half the reason I bought the Wii- the promise of that remote's motion sensing. And now they're telling me: "No, you really can't do any of that stuff we promised with the regular remote. You need to buy this new attachment for each of the controllers if you want to!" And then what? The remote's motion sensing has barely been used. So they trick me and rip me off with the (expensive) regular controller, don't give me as much to do with it as I thought, and now they want to pull the same trick again?! For shame!

Then Rayman Raving Rabbids TV party and a Star Wars game are given a heavy push. I'm sure both will be reasonably fun to control, but what the heck are they doing over there if this is the best they can show?!

Wii Music I thought looked really cool until they explained exactly what it was. It's designed for people who can't play music to feel like they're playing music. It sounds like there's not so much appeal for people like me who play actual musical instruments. The drum set is cool, I could certainly develop a better sense of rhythm, but that's not nearly enough to justify a $50 (or even $30) game. This is the sort of thing I was expecting from WiiWare for ten bucks, and they're selling it in stores for full price.

And Animal Crossing. Blah, Animal Crossing. You know, I finished the Gamecube game. It took me literally years, but I paid back my loan and I felt good about it. And now they're selling essentially the same game (initially designed for the N64), just with some new features. I was expecting Animal Crossing for Wii to be The Next Step, and I'm finding something I'd feel ripped off for buying! Granted, the online multiplayer is worthwhile. But is it really worth starting from scratch in almost exactly the same town with almost exactly the same gameplay and exactly the same goals and almost exactly the same things to collect, just so I can show it off to (theoretical) friends? If I could import my Gamecube town over, that would be something. But it's like they expect to be selling this only to people who've never heard of Animal Crossing before!

Seriously! What. The. Heck.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #27
A Servicable Villain

That huge MMO with the preposterous name could not bore me more if it tried.

So, who's the winner of the big three? Or are they all losers? As far as games are concerned, the Xbox 360 is still the king, with the most interesting line-up of good titles. Nintendo has again failed to appeal to that so-called 'hardcore' gamer, by presenting (with the exception of GTA Chinatown) nothing really exciting. Animal Crossing rocks, of course, but I think it's a much better fit on the DS. Sony I liked best in tone; none of the bombast of the Microsoft presentation, though it was a bit on the long side. The PS3 is shaping up as a very capable machine, but after two years it still lacks a good amount of decent titles that the 360 doesn't also have.

Maybe next year, E3 will be exciting again as it was last two years ago.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Oh right, you can't even play the drums in Wii Music without the Balance Board attachment, which is expensive. There goes that. Now there's no reason for me to be interested.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sony's Turn

New 80 gb PS3 for $399, no mention of lowering the other models.
Oooh. I don't have a console (never have, except for the DS) and I was going to get myself one when I get the PhD and start the new job. This is cool. Especially since this model can play PS2 games.

I'm not quite sure what I'll play on it since I'm not very good at action games but the Drake's something or other game (which I think is PS3 exclusive) and Little Big Planet caught my eye. I've not even been paying attention to E3 so I can't really comment on anything else.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #30
Homer of Kittens

Man that Little big planet presentation is PRICELESS. Now if only I can use the game to make my powerpoint presentations at work.

Firefox rules
Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #31
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflux View Post
That huge MMO with the preposterous name could not bore me more if it tried.

So, who's the winner of the big three? Or are they all losers?
Winner in terms of what?
In terms of the E3 presentations, I thought Microsft was the winner by far. Their new 3D UI is sleek, the Netflix announcement is big, and Final Fantasy XIII moving to the XBOX was HUGE. I didn't like though some of their attempts at luring the "casual" by copying their competitors. Avatars? Miis. Parties launching the games together? Home. Lips? Singstar. Scene it controller? Buzz. The camera game? Eyetoy.
On the other hand, Sony has ripped them off before with Trophies (Achievements), and In-Game-XMB(In game messaging).

In terms of the long run console sales, I believe it will be the Wii. You still can't find the thing in stores.

In terms of games? Microsoft so far has the best collection of games overall.

Firefox rules
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Fixed.
No I didn't. (In reference to earlier comment about American PS3 owners "all 5 of us" killing ourselves at the FFXIII 360 news.)

What I was sad about (in the Sony conference at least) was the utter lack of information about White Knight Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Tears of Blood (or whatever game had journalists raving a couple of months ago), the new Twisted Metal, the secret Rockstar exclusive (NOT L.A. Noire), etc etc etc. It was a very America-focused outing with Sony thinking all we want is shooters and sandbox games and movie downloads. I have little doubt that the games that I really care about will be prominently on display at TGS though.

Weird that the PS3 is getting the shooters that the PS2 never had and the 360 is getting the RPGs that the xbox never had. One generation from a unified console? Who knows?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #33
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Oooh. I don't have a console (never have, except for the DS) and I was going to get myself one when I get the PhD and start the new job. This is cool. Especially since this model can play PS2 games.
Im sorry dear ...

Quote:
This latest model will have the same features as the 40GB PS3s, but with double the harddrive space and will retail for $400, the same price that the 40GB models are right now.
The 40GB models are now on their last legs and will soon be taken off the market, joining the 20GB and 60GB in the console graveyard. It hasn't really been made clear yet by Sony, but since the 80GB " ... will offer all of the features and functionality of the 40GB model", then it looks you'll have the same backwards compatibility issues. So you can play PS1 games, but no PS2 games.
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-08-new...5478.phtml#ext

____

Prince of Persia Developer Walkthrough HD

Pt. 1 - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36532.html
Pt. 2 - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36543.html

Cool

Last edited by TiAgUh; 07-16-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 AM   #34
Master of time and space

Quote:
I suppose someone had to make the predictable comment, but it has everything the original Fallout was in there just with a 3D engine.

Seeing as Oblivion was one of the best games around i'm taking that as a compliment.

The game looks ACE.
I really hope the down use the same leveling as in Oblivion though. It ruined the whole game for me. A rat should be a rat no matter what level you are. In oblivion that rat evolved along with the character...
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #35
Super Moderator

They've said they've learned from Oblivion and haven't gone down that route again
Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #36
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Pretty uneventful for me, nothing really caught my attention.

The only game I'd been looking forward to seeing in action was "Fallout 3" and the footage was disappointing. Definitely not something I'm expecting in a Fallout game (VATS is in no way turn-based btw.). Hopefully the non-combat part of the game will make up for the run'n'gun borefest, but not keeping my hopes up.

"Heavy Rain" sounds interesting (any chance of the footage shown at the closed presentation getting leaked?), but what a shame it's a PS3 exclusive (any chance of it getting ported to the PC eventually?).
Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #37
In an evening of July...

Two things I have been looking forward to came to be quite disappointing. For one, the " developer walkthrough" of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition was funny and sad at the same time. To quote the dev describing the "character differentiation system": "And they all gonna look different [...] if we run further, they're gonna be more like, I dunno, like blue, or green, or red, or whatever", this pretty much sums up my impressions about this edition: whatever.

Meanwhile, the spokesman for the "Velvet Assassin"-team tried to convince the auditorium about how incredibly accurate they managed to depict the WWII and its horrors, showing "shocking" pictures of corpses, while he was running over them arcade-style, stopping time and hiding in the shadow of a tree in broad daylight from an enemy two meters away from him. Shocking indeed.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #38

heavy rain was showed closed doors, it blew evryone , they will show probably to public in leipzing or tgs.

alanwake is confirmed for tgs.

gow teaser was on purpose.

ps3 by far as most creative and versatile lineup, form mundane shooters of greys and brown.

siren[ i have played 3 chapters and its absolutely necessary for any adventure fan, not to mention horror fan].

check yourself
http://download.gamevideos.com/20163...g_1280x720.wmv

ps3 PSN games are priceless

http://download.gamevideos.com/20094...GE_640x360.wmv
specially fatprincess and crash commando, not to mention ratchet, it looks phenomenal gamspot show demo]

littlebigplanet wil sell like hot cakes, a work of genius, alazevans needs awards seriosuly

and look at this
http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/4m/pv/4m_afrika_view.wmv

i just want to explore this on HD, evn there are no animals, visual speak for themselves.

underwater sim simialr to afrika but undersea coming in sept, called aquanauts holiday.

then resistace2, motorstrom 2 looks epic
http://de.gamersyde.com/protected/ac...ic_Rift_E3.wmv

, and in feb killzone 2.

so a platformer[ratchet]
horror adventure
i dont know hat category LBP belongs its too much
shooter resistance 2
racing game mot2

and unique games like afrika.

sony covers every catgory.

micorsoft just offered gears and fable where fable2 was fable with added feature and graphically fable with bloom effects.

too much of same.

i hope haevyrain comes next year, i mean just release it chapter wise on PSn or whatevr just give us the taste.

i was planning to play alanwake this year, but i think it will wake much later.

my worst games of e3

fallout3
PoP
farcry2
hawx
etc.

mirroredge is cool, i hope it wont be repetitive affair.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #39
handsome

I agree with Mop and nomadsoul about Fallout 3 but come on nomad PoP one of the worst? Why?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #40
Homer of Kittens

I am wondering about some stuff from the Sony camp especially. Where are the 2 games announced by team ICO? Come on ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were 2 of the best games on the PS2. How about Heavy Rain? And the Level 5 RPG? and Afrika for the US?

I wonder why none of them got mentioned.

Firefox rules