You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #1

Default On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness

Haven't seen any buzz about this Adventure/RPG from Penny Arcade around here. I'm not a fan one way or the other of PA comics, but this game looks pretty solid, so I'm going to give it a try, and I'll post some first impressions. What else am I going to do with my day off?

http://www.rainslick.com/

I realize the game is borderline Adventure, thought this still seemed like a fitting place to post
Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I ended up moving this to General. I played part of the demo and it was fun! But the RPG and combat elements really overshadow the little bits of adventure, so everyone can talk about it here.

I really liked the animation style (the mix of the 2D look of the comics with the 3D parts where you play). The environment and the time period in which you play is really cool too. It really seems like a unique setting.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #3

It was alright. The humor mostly falls flat since it's almost exclusively in-jokes related to the comic. If you happen to think hobo urine is hilarious, you might chuckle.

I mostly picked it up because of Ron Gilbert's involvement, but the game is primarily an RPG; adventure elements linger here and there like some long-forgotten flatulance. That said, the combat is enjoyable enough and the animated cutscenes are a beauty.

$20 pushes the limits of how much I think a game like this should cost, but it's reasonably entertaining, even if it isn't very funny.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

I don't think 'in jokes' means what you think it means

And I don't think they ever tried to sell it as an adventure game. If you were fooled because it has the word 'adventures' in the title, then perhaps you should have read a little deeper.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

I wasn't fooled into thinking it was an adventure game, I'm just stating that the adventure elements are very light. Ron Gilbert's involvement suggested that these would be more predominant. The RPG combat is fun, if simplistic.

And I'm pretty sure that a machine that fucks fruit, a recurring character in the comic, is the definition of an in-joke.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #6

I understand the move to general forums, moreso after playing the game.

It is very light on adventure, but still a fun game. For all you AG'ers scared of combat, don't be. The turn-based combat is fairly easy, just a matter of learning the tricks.

I actually think the game is pretty funny. Has its moments anyway, and the enemies can be a hoot. Hardcore Adventure gamers steer clear, if you like RPG elements and disgusting humor then you might enjoy this title.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
And I'm pretty sure that a machine that fucks fruit, a recurring character in the comic, is the definition of an in-joke.
Yes, why have Penny Arcade characters in a Penny Arcade game?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
It's Hard To Be Humble

I read some stuff about this a few months ago and thought it was fairly amusing, but as I don't follow the comic, I'd be lost with the self-referential humour, which sounds to me like it makes up a lot of the humour in the game.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

The humor really isn't that self-referential. The comic has almost no continuity, so plot connections to the comic are zero. Apart from the existence of the main cast, which Thello seems to think constitutes an in-joke, you really wouldn't need to know the comic to enjoy the game, assuming you're into RPGs.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Club a seal or two

The demo was disappointing. Not only is it too easy, it's very short. They give you a tonne of useable items but no opportunities to use them, and Mario-RPG-esque combat isn't very well done. The full game is probably better.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I really enjoyed the game. And as a non Penny Arcade reader, I didn't feel left out at all.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel View Post
The demo was disappointing. Not only is it too easy, it's very short. They give you a tonne of useable items but no opportunities to use them, and Mario-RPG-esque combat isn't very well done. The full game is probably better.
You didn't like the game because the demo was too short? Isn't that like saying a car is bad because you only got to test drive it around the block?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #13
Club a seal or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
You didn't like the game because the demo was too short? Isn't that like saying a car is bad because you only got to test drive it around the block?
No... it's more like "The test drive was disappointing because I only got to drive it around the block"
Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #14

Ok - I'm trying it tonight - I like short demos!

And I just like saying the name - what a great name - those Penny Arcade people are funny.