You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
handsome

Default Mirror’s Edge

PC\Xbox 360\PS3

.. the damn thing looks amazing .

http://www.destructoid.com/tidbits-f...4809.phtml#ext
Quote:
(...) the first trailer for EA DICE’s Mirror’s Edge, a first-person action/adventure title. It’s got a female protagonist who reminded me of Jade from Beyond Good & Evil at first glance. I’m worried about running and jumping around a city without being able to see where my feet are (unless I look down), but it certainly looks impressive so far — according to the trailer, it’s all in-game footage.
Trailer :
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33585.html

cool, huh?

Last edited by TiAgUh; 05-07-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #2

Yup, this caught my eye the other day. Looks very promising.

Here's more info from IGN: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/855/855856p1.html
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Master of time and space

Everything looks so clean, fresh and, blue...
Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
merely human

Some intriguing titles coming exclusively on PS3. I've known about this one for a couple weeks or so. Hope they execute it handsomely. From what I heard you play a drug courier who specializes in parkour (and possibly a bit of martial arts).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
handsome

Artwork (new)

Name:  01-noscale.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  60.3 KB
Name:  05-noscale.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  85.3 KB
Name:  02-noscale.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  53.5 KB
Name:  03-noscale.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  67.2 KB
Name:  04-noscale.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  96.9 KB

( If you want them big ... http://www.destructoid.com/mirror-s-...ht-85508.phtml )
Old 05-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
merely human

Thanks for linking us to those stunning images, TiAgUh. Here's what little info we have thus far from Gamespy's preview:

Quote:
Mirror's Edge tells the story of Faith (your character). Set in a fictional near-future metropolis where nonconformity has basically been criminalized, Faith is a "runner," a courier who carries messages and parcels for those who want to stay under the radar. As described to us, these runners are the lifeblood of the city's underworld; in a tech-dominated world where every last move is tracked, these runners provide one of the last ways to communicate without being monitored.

Although it could easily be confused with a first-person shooter at first glance, it looks like Mirror's Edge will have only the tiniest bit of gunplay, and only if you choose to go that route. Mirror's Edge is more a game about exploration, puzzle-solving and melee action, built around about Faith's acrobatic abilities. As you'd expect, Faith can jump and duck, but she can also perform more complicated moves like powerslides, wall runs and jump kicks. Momentum will play a big role in Faith's abilities: get enough steam going and you'll be able to crash through a door or make an extra-long jump. For tricky maneuvers, the game will sometimes slow down at certain moments to give you the opportunity to be more precise and fine-tune your moves.
So I was wrong, she is not a drug courier, at least not seemingly. Oh, and I was also wrong about it being exclusively for PS3. Looking forward to playing it on my X360.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-11-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
merely human

I found more info...

Quote:
- PS3 version will utilize the Sixaxis controls.
- The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions will have a display resolution of 1280x720 a.k.a 720p.
- Weapons will just slow you down and are mainly used as melee tools.
- The game isn't about combat, the game is about movement.

There are guns but they're tools. Imagine trying to do this running with a big automatic rifle - not going to happen. So, what you're able to do is you're able to take weapons off of people if you can disarm them in the right way. You can use whatever is in the clip but you can't run very fast, you can't do all the things that you really want to do. So it's more of a tool to get through things, blow open a section of window, take out one person, throw it away and keep moving.

Videogamer.com interview

Quote:
With such a heavy focus on movement, it is imperative to maintain momentum, which is done by an uninterrupted, fluid flow of actions, creating a chain of moves. Failing to string these moves together results in a loss of momentum, which can mean that Faith falls off or short of an object if a certain level of momentum is required to transverse it. Controls are simplified by being context-sensitive; the "up" button will cause Faith to transverse an obstacle by passing over it—for example, by jumping, vaulting, climbing, or grabbing set pieces like zip lines—while the "down" button will cause her to perform other manoeuvres like slides or somersaults.

In order to assist the player in creating these chains of moves, the game employs a system called "Runner Vision", which derives its name from its purpose: to depict the environment the way a runner would see it, instantly recognising escape routes. It is a highlighting system that emphasises environmental pieces useful for progression—like pipes, ramps, and enterable doors—with the colour red as Faith approaches, though it does not always indicate the best route. Further along in the game, the number of these visual hints is reduced to only indicate the end goal, though the player can opt to turn off this hint system entirely. It will also be used to create puzzles in which the player must figure out how to combine the highlighted set pieces into a chain of moves in order to reach the target. Another means of assistance to the player is a system called "Reaction Time", which is a form of bullet time that allows the player time to plan where to go next without losing momentum.

Although the player character can hold weapons, O'Brien stressed that "this is an action adventure. We're not positioning this as a shooter - the focus isn't on the gun, it's on the person." Gameplay in Mirror's Edge will focus on finding the best route through the games environments while combat takes a secondary role. Consequently, guns may be obtained by disarming an enemy, but when the magazine is empty, it will need to be discarded. Additionally, carrying a weapon slows Faith down and the heavier the gun, the more it hinders her movement, which introduces an element of strategy in determining when to trade agility for short-term firepower.
Wikipedia

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-12-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #8

There was a great article on the sound a while back.

Quote:
“Some of the cool stuff we’ve got is the breathing system. We want the camera to move much more organically; we want the body to feel more real. Not like the eight polygon hands you quite often get. You want tendons, and muscles straining, and stuff like that.”

(...)

“We want the same thing with the sound. So we have her breathing, and her breathing changes depending on what she’s doing.”

In the play-tests that DICE has conducted, this has triggered a surprising reaction. “Some people start to adapt to her breathing patterns. We had her, like – GASP! – taking a sharp intake of breath when she was taking some jumps and things like that. We started watching, and players were starting to keep track of her breathing.” It was stimulating a guttural, visceral reaction in the play-testers. They were on the edge of their seats.

“I was just watching that and thinking: â€That’s amazing! I had no idea that was gonna happen. That’s awesome!’”

(...)

In that sense, both the music and breathing FX are two sides of the same coin – but that doesn’t quite complete the picture. “It’s how your body sounds, as well. It’s not just about your breathing, it’s about your clothes, it’s about your feet. We focus very, very heavily on that. Even more so than on the music. We’ve got the best foley studio in Sweden doing that.”

(...)

“It’s all about the different materials, what your feet are doing. Are you running on a wall? Are you grabbing hold of metal? Is it slippery? Is it slidey? Is it gravel? Is it concrete? Is it wood? What are your clothes doing? What material are your trousers? What material is her shirt?”
Pretty much sounds awesome... like a modern-day Assassin's Creed in first-person without the sci-fi glitches. I heard it's coming to PC also.

Can't wait.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
(...) I heard it's coming to PC also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
(...), and I was also wrong about it being exclusively for PS3 . Looking forward to playing it on my X360.
Just read the 1st post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh (me) View Post
PC\Xbox 360\PS3

.. the damn thing looks amazing.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #10

\o/

What can I say? I'm blind.

... and yet I post on forums.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #11
handsome

EA3 Interview - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35992.html

Story Trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35998.html
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
handsome

http://www.destructoid.com/new-mirro...4567.phtml#ext
Quote:
(...)It was announced this morning that Rhianna Pratchett is the writer behind Mirror's Edge. In case you aren't a sci-fi geek, she is the daughter of Terry Pratchett, acclaimed writer of the Discworld fantasy novels. If you already knew that and read his work, I'm probably talking to an empty room since you've probably run out of it howling with delight(...)
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Psychonaut

Artistically it still looks amazing.

I still worry about the gameplay.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #14

looks great. i wonder how it will play. may like prince of Persia?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
handsome

^ watch this - http://www.destructoid.com/e3-08-mir...ns-95711.phtml
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #16

Awesome new sewer level footage, check the bottommost link[not youtube ones] for better quality.

http://www.on-mirrors-edge.com/index...id=47&Itemid=1

Enjoy.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #17
MoP
Comfortably Numb

It looks very pretty and impressive the first time around. But I feel the jumping-part of the gameplay gets old really fast, and the combat looks tedious.
Obviously playing it is probably much more involving though, and a good plot has proven to keep me going even despite uninteresting gameplay (not saying it will be so, the chaining of moves does hold a lot of possibilities, I just wasn't convinced by the demonstrations so far). The premise sounds intriguing enough...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #18

Sam feeling evrywhere, i want to check that how they will keep the things interesting for lets say 8 hrs, i think more than story outstanding environments can save the game.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #19

Got the game today after 5 chapters, here are my impressions

No public on streets and malls or anywhere raise concerns, city feels empty and detached or like its new city and people are gradually accomadating, but it doesn't destroy enjoyment as much as i expected.

Story is just filler with bad insurance animation, animation could have been better, the colors and art is good but they animate wierdly, specially when interacting and it doesn't help in connecting with them.

Graphic novel approach like MGS bandedessinee could have work better specially when you take notice how good artworks are (in unlockables), the coverarts are so good that make me wonder why they didn't use that.

Game is fun(depends how much you enjoy sprinting and platforming) and innovative, definately stepup form breakdown in FP dynamics.

Prince of persia and lara should pack thier bags or take is fresh air, seriously both these franchises should ponder hard on making their games like this.

ME gameplay is dope(specially wiht ps3 controller, its like feeling right at home) , and i am athlete, like spriting and jumps so, its not entirley objective impressions.

Some reviewrs are pissed at nature of gameplay calling it repetitive, frustrating etc.

Any questions? Love to answer.

But lovers of lara and prince games should try this game.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #20

I for one am enjoying my playthrough with Mirror's Edge. There's a certain satisfaction when you have strung together a number of moves to overcome the obstacles you see before you and that's where the immersive factor really shines in this game --- and that's pretty cool too!

Playing this on a large widescreen TV also helps the sense of immersion in that it helps you quickly scan areas you need to run to especially when you are being chased and hounded by the police. Speaking of which, you have options whether to engage them one-on-one (but this also depends on the situation you're faced) or simply run past them. There was one situation where I had no choice but to deal with 4 cops shooting at me as they were blocking the area I needed to reach. I had to separate them and draw them to me individually and not I to them. Engaging all 4 meant a quick and certain death.

Momentum is certainly key here and quickly finding the right line of sight makes your escape all the more fluid and exciting.

Regarding review comments that Mirror's Edge is repetitive ---- what games aren't? While there are certain moments of trial and error which is inevitable in any platforming game (a la Prince of Persia trilogy), the sum of parts make up for what I see is a refreshing look at the First Person game where violence and fighting is an option and not the norm.