You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Console of choice?

View Poll Results: Main gaming console
Playstation 3 6 13.95%
Playstation 2 6 13.95%
Playstation 1 2.33%
Nintendo 8 bit 1 2.33%
Nintendo 16 bit 0 0%
Nintendo 64 bit 1 2.33%
Nintendo Gamecube 1 2.33%
Nintendo Wii 3 6.98%
XBOX 1 2.33%
XBOX 360 11 25.58%
Dreamcast 1 2.33%
PSP 0 0%
Nintendo DS 9 20.93%
I play them all! 2 4.65%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Console of choice?

Hi!

After selling off my XBOX 360 due to the lack of games and annoying noise level (and the fact I'm far from done with the last generation consoles), I'm wondering what console is your "main" gaming machine and why?

Myself I've discovered that since I've missed the last two generation of games I've got oodles of Gamecube games (played on my Wii) and even more on the Playstation 2 that I haven't played yet. My pick is the Playstation 2, too bad I live in Europe and have the PAL console (= 50Hz gaming )...

Last edited by MdaG; 04-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Magoozelle

My favorite console is the Gamecube. Right now I am playing Twilight Princess and enjoying it for the most part. I really enjoy the Gamecube controls as well as the selection of games.

We also have a Wii and Xbox 360 but both were colossal wastes of money. I would sell them but dear husband likes them both, despite never EVER playing the Wii.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #3

Kinda depends what the criteria are but I went with the PS2 as Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are truly monuments of gaming. And then there's Sands of Time, We Love Katamari and Okami... great, great stuff.

If we're going by most played Nintendo DS wins as I've been greatly enjoying the Phoenix Wright series and occasionally playing Phantom Hourglass after having run through such excellent games as Trauma Center and New Super Mario Bros.

I'm tempted to get a Wii but I think I should finish a few more PC games first lest they be crushed under the gathering dust on my shelf.

And I never did finish Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time...
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I've owned both a Gamecube and an Xbox 360. The Gamecube has about as much graphical processing power as a 10-year old cell phone, so the Xbox 360 is my console. It has a lot of great games for me, plays DVDs and CDs, and has extremely powerful hardware.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired

First post.

I'm a Nintendo guy. I have all the Nintendo consoles except for the Virtual Boy and older Game Boys. The Wii is my choice since it can play almost any Nintendo game ever and some from other consoles as well with the help of the Virtual Console. I'm thoroughly enjoying Smash Brothers Brawl (which is my only Wii game so far). I've already beaten Twilight Princess on the Gamecube which was absolutely an amazing game. I keep meaning to get back to it to beat it 100% but I never can. I've been on a Metroid streak lately, though. Beat all the Metroid games up to Prime 2 which I'm currently working on now. Must prepare for when I have enough money for Prime 3.

I wouldn't want any other consoles except for maybe a PS1 for a couple games I've always wanted to own and a PS3 MAYBE for playing Blu-ray movies sometime down the road since the PS3 is still the best and cheapest solution for a Blu-ray movie player.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I'm all about the DS and Wii right now, though I picked the former because it has a greater number of games currently out that I'm actually interested in. (Though I just picked up the newly-released Wii port of Okami and am already impressed with it...)
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to MusicallyInspired Send a message via MSN to MusicallyInspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
(Though I just picked up the newly-released Wii port of Okami and am already impressed with it...)
You mean besides the fact the the title image was ripped from IGN? (I'm referring to the IGN watermark visible in the official game package artwork)
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Lovable rogue

I mostly play Wii at the moment. I bought at PS2 at launch in 2000 and just grew bored of it. Whereas there used to be days when I'd go out to game shops and look for interesting things to buy, it reached a point where I started just buying sequels to known franchises that I liked, and my console gaming fizzled out. It took the novelty of the Wii to make me regain interest, and I've been having a lot of fun with that. I plan to buy a PS3 in the near future, however, because I need to play GTA:IV, and there are a few other games on it that pique my interest. I'm going for the PS3 because a) I'm familiar with the controller and I'm a creature of habit, and b) Blu-ray's triumph over HD-DVD makes it worth having now.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
You mean besides the fact the the title image was ripped from IGN? (I'm referring to the IGN watermark visible in the official game package artwork)
I happen to find such blunders amusing and adorable, thankyouverymuch.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum, Musically.

I'm extremely selective when it comes to buying console games and I've never owned more than a handful for any system. Being predominantly a PC gamer I have only ever bought consoles when there was a game I just had to play. I do not buy games because I "should be playing my [insert console here] more"... I'm not married to the thing.
Certainly, once I own a system the barrier to entry is lowered and I'm more likely to pick up titles I would otherwise have passed on, but I don't feel some OCD compulsion to buy games for it if there's nothing that genuinely catches my interest.

I bought a PS2 to play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and if I had bought no other games I would have been completely okay with that. Worth every penny. As it turns out I also picked up a few others, but that was gravy.

I don't buy into the whole console as investment malarkey. I buy a console when there's something I want to play on it and the price of admission is fair. What I don't do is whine about a lack of hypothetical games...

There are other platforms.

[edit: I should preempt any offense-taking by clarifying that I don't feel anyone here falls into the 'whining' category, but it's an oft-heard and frankly tiresome argument]

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 04-25-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Owning all three "next-gen" consoles, a PS2, a DS and a PSP, the best console in terms of sheer amount of variety and quality of games is the PS2 IMHO.

The best console in terms of games this generation so far is the XBOX 360, but it suffers from lack of variety (too many shooters), unreliability, and high noise levels.

Firefox rules
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #12

And also from being made by Microsoft.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #13

Please. Corporate hate is pointless. I don't particularly like Sony as a company, but that's not gonna stop me from playing Shadow of the Colossus.

I think it bears remembering that any large organization has many different forces driving its direction, both good and bad, so judging its entire output based on any one specific thing is hardly fair.

I mean I don't buy Chiquita bananas because they're sold by what is basically a criminal organization, but you don't see Microsoft committing mass-murder and extortion... so much though I dislike their general attitude I don't waste my time holding some kind of grudge against them.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #14

I don't care if it's pointless or not. I'm not impressed with anything made by Microsoft. Is there a problem with that?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #15
Super Moderator

There is when it brings nothing to this thread.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #16

Honestly, guys, you're making this bigger than it is. It was only meant as a light-hearted joke comment. Didn't realize people took things so seriously around here. I'll be sure to refrain from such comments in the future. Moving on...

The PS3 and XBox 360 are visually stunning and if there were better games out that I was interested in I might even get one of them. But thus far I'm sticking with the Wii as it has more games that I'm actually interested in.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #17

Don't worry about it. I don't think anyone here is really particularly fussed about it, but we all like to avoid tiresome platform flame wars.

Basically I agree with you. I go where the games are.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Seth Balmore

The Xbox 360 is my console of choice because of the Mistwalker JRPGs: “Blue Dragon” and “Lost Odyssey” (particularly Lost Odyssey), and the tons of other current and upcoming games (particularly RPGs and Action-adventures) that I am interested in and that the system has going for it.

It’s all about the games for me.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 AM   #19

I go where the games take me personally having both a 360 and PS3.

Now if there were multi-platform releases, I'd go for (PC,) PS3 then 360. 360 is last only because of the RROD.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Master of time and space

I'll be getting a PS3 soon enough, but I'll skip on the X360 until the X360-Slim is released.
Maybe that one won't "WROOOOM!" on me.