You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General In your opinion best "scary games"-franchise

View Poll Results: Best "scary game"-franchise in your opinion?
Resident Evil 2 10.53%
Silent Hill 8 42.11%
Alone in the Dark 0 0%
Fatal Frame 1 5.26%
Forbidden Siren 1 5.26%
Condemned 3 15.79%
System Shock 1 5.26%
Eternal Darkness 0 0%
Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth 0 0%
DOOM 1 5.26%
Clock tower 0 0%
Other 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default In your opinion best "scary games"-franchise

I'm almost through the Resident Evil games now and I'm going to go through Silent Hill next. Are there any other horror franchises that I should look into?

I'm doing a poll with the franchises/games I know about just for fun.

I've only played System Shock 2, Resident Evil 0, 1, 2, Code Veronica and 4, Silent Hill 2 and Call of Chtulhu.

Last edited by MdaG; 04-14-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Is it supposed to be truly scary, or just within the horror genre?

The most fun horror franchises for me: the original Alone in the Dark trilogy, System Shock, Darkseed, Infograme's Call of Cthulhu games

Also the Thief franchise. While not pure horror, the games have a lot of horror elements in them, especially parts 1 & 3. Thief 1 can be truly frightening.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Is it supposed to be truly scary, or just within the horror genre?

The most fun horror franchises for me: the original Alone in the Dark trilogy, System Shock, Darkseed, Infograme's Call of Cthulhu games

Also the Thief franchise. While not pure horror, the games have a lot of horror elements in them, especially parts 1 & 3. Thief 1 can be truly frightening.
It doesn't need to be " truly scary", just fun to play.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If you're looking for the scariest game series, then probably Aliens vs Predator, but System Shock is my favourite series from this group. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of being scared.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
handsome

Always wanted to try Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem but .. no gamecube.

I've only played the first Siren game and its a nice game, nothing special. Great ideias and concepts but almost abysmally executed (a waste of pontential if you ask me).

Clock Tower is fun (cant remember now which one i've played) but not "scary".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
The most fun horror franchises for me: the original Alone in the Dark trilogy, System Shock, Darkseed, Infograme's Call of Cthulhu games.
Is that game "scary" at all? Its better to play the first then the second or doesnt matter (in your opinion)?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
If you're looking for the scariest game series, then probably Aliens vs Predator (...)
YES! dude avp was awesome. Shooting everywhere when the screen starts flashing red good times.

Last edited by TiAgUh; 04-15-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Is that game "scary" at all? Its better to play the first then the second or doesnt matter (in your opinion)?
Both games contain plenty of morbid events and H. R. Giger's graphics have their own disturbing power, but somehow I'd rather describe them as eerie than scary. The sequel has also too many 'B' movie qualities to be particulary scary. The plot in it is a continuation, but understandable as a standalone. However, if you play the original Darkseed first, there are a lot neat, subtle references in part two that add to playing enjoyment. I think especially the initial build up of tension in Darkseed II is fun, if one has an idea what to expect from "The Dark World" before being able to enter it. Be prepered that Darkseed I is a short, but unforgiving game. One has to start it over probably several times to avoid making mistakes with far-reaching consequences.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

I LOVE the Silent Hill series!!! Nice and disturbing! I can't wait for V!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

people should play more Eternal Darkness, and I should play more of those other games.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajerkaos View Post
people should play more Eternal Darkness, and I should play more of those other games.
Just bought the game on Ebay. Looking forward to trying it out.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
handsome

^gimme gimme! (and a Wii too)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #11

Why are FEAR and Penumbra not in this poll? Other than those, I'd have to go with Condemned.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Why are FEAR and Penumbra not in this poll? Other than those, I'd have to go with Condemned.
No reason really, they didn't pop up when I was brainstorming. I'll assume you find them good? I've only played the FEAR demo, but wasn't captivated enough by it to warrant a buy.

By the way, I'm 5h into Eternal Darkness now. Nice one. That insanity feature is really good. Too bad Nintendo patented it (!?).
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
No reason really, they didn't pop up when I was brainstorming. I'll assume you find them good? I've only played the FEAR demo, but wasn't captivated enough by it to warrant a buy.
Yeah I really liked FEAR. Maybe wasn't the scariest game I ever played but it was fun and made me jump a few times Can't wait for the sequel.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Magoozelle

I voted Fatal Frame. Fatal Frame 2 is hands-down the scariest games I've ever played. I can't play it at night because I screamed too much, and well, living in an apartment like I do the neighbors didn't appreciate it.

All of the games listed have their fair share of scares. I would also add that Haunting Ground for PS2 is a scary game. Deeply disturbing and not to be played around the young ones.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
Seth Balmore

I do not have a ‘best’ or ‘favorite’ franchise. I loved "Silent Hill 2," the best in the Series so far and I am looking forward to SH5 (don’t know if it will be able to reach the same level of greatness as Silent Hill 2 but we will see)

From the ones you have listed I would go with “Eternal Darkness” and, even though you haven’t listed that one yet but “BioShock” was also very ‘disturbingly scary’ as well.

As for Fatal Frame (aka Project Zero): I was quite scared when I played “Fatal Frame”…but that was just at the beginning…
Then the whole thing just got frustrating and stupid rather quickly, plus the girl really started to get on my nerves. Needless to say, I didn’t bother picking up any of the other Fatal Frame games.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #16
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I love most of the Silent Hill games. 1, 2 and 4 are all fantastic and at the very top of the horror game list for me, but I'm getting a bit worried for the series. SH3 and Origins felt stale and formulaic, and although SH4 took the series in a new direction, number 5 seems to be falling straight back into old ways, albeit with better graphics. I love the series, and I'll keep playing the games, but I wish the developers would realize that the Silent Hill games don't have to follow such a rigid structure. It's not really just about this town anymore, Silent Hill is now more of a brand name like The Twilight Zone, you should be able to tell all kinds of different stories in this universe.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
Seth Balmore

^Personally, I did not like that “new” direction.
Everything sounded so promising; having a first-person view, and of course the graphics looks great. However, Story, Character and Game-play wise, SH4 fell short for me. SH4 is actually my least favorite of the series. (I have not played SH Origins)

Did you know that, SH4 didn’t start out as being a Silent Hill title? Konami was actually planning to create a totally new title/franchise.

It was only about half-way through the Development Progress where the Team decided to just make it a Silent Hill title and thus, Silent Hill 4: The Room was created.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

I love horror games, so I could probably give a massive list of all sorts of different games! lol

I thought the entire Project Zero (Fatal Frame) series was incredibly scary, with the first one been one of the scariest I've ever played. Also all Silent Hill's apart from 4, which I was very letdown by really, considering 3 was so good.

FEAR is a great game too, though perhaps not the most terrifying I've ever played. Also Condemned 1 was great, though I wasn't a big fan of recent 2nd game, it started off good, but got very silly and focused too much on comabt about half way into the game.

I'm currently playing Darkness Within for PC as well and I am in love with the game so thats definately a good one to check out.

I never really found Resident Evil that scary, though I do love the series. However I must admit the REmake for Gamecube was very tense, specially the Lisa Trevor part! I'm hoping that RE5 and the all new Alone in the Dark will be worth the wait. And of course Silent HIll 5!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #19
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TezChi View Post
I love horror games, so I could probably give a massive list of all sorts of different games! lol

I thought the entire Project Zero (Fatal Frame) series was incredibly scary, with the first one been one of the scariest I've ever played. Also all Silent Hill's apart from 4, which I was very letdown by really, considering 3 was so good.

FEAR is a great game too, though perhaps not the most terrifying I've ever played. Also Condemned 1 was great, though I wasn't a big fan of recent 2nd game, it started off good, but got very silly and focused too much on comabt about half way into the game.

I'm currently playing Darkness Within for PC as well and I am in love with the game so thats definately a good one to check out.

I never really found Resident Evil that scary, though I do love the series. However I must admit the REmake for Gamecube was very tense, specially the Lisa Trevor part! I'm hoping that RE5 and the all new Alone in the Dark will be worth the wait. And of course Silent HIll 5!
I've played Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica X, Silent Hill 2, Eternal Darkness, System Shock 2, DOOM 3, Call of Chtulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth to name most. Of these only Resident Evil Remake & Silent Hill 2 were really scary. The others might contain the occasional "BOO" scare and some even strokes of brilliance (Eternal Darkness), but for me only two games so far have been truly scary. I'm looking forward to Silent Hill 3.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #20
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I've played Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica X, Silent Hill 2, Eternal Darkness, System Shock 2, DOOM 3, Call of Chtulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth to name most. Of these only Resident Evil Remake & Silent Hill 2 were really scary. The others might contain the occasional "BOO" scare and some even strokes of brilliance (Eternal Darkness), but for me only two games so far have been truly scary. I'm looking forward to Silent Hill 3.
I forgot about Silent Hill 2, such a genius work of art imo. I just really hope that SH5 is more like 2 and less like 4, atompshere is better than combat in a horror game any day. From what I've seen so far, it looks very promising.