Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   In your opinion best "scary games"-franchise (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/22352-your-opinion-best-scary-games-franchise.html)

CLiCK! 05-16-2008 04:25 AM

I vote for Condemned Criminal Origins(PC)
I`m play at night in headphones and for my opinion it was a REALLY SCARY.

I want to play second part also, but now it only for XBOX 360 and PS 3:frown:

BKnight 05-17-2008 12:28 AM

Voted for the Silent Hill series. I think, even if they are not the best on the market, they are surely the most disturbing (i.e. Silent Hill 2). The japanese have some sort of tenth sense when it comes to making a horror disturbing. Most of the time you don't even understand what is going on around you in Silent Hill, and at the very end you're left with more questions than answers.
I have to say that NOCTURNE too was a pretty horror game back in the late nineties.
Resident Evil seems, IMHO at least, too find zombie and kill it. Entertaining and lots of fun, but not so scary. Also, Alone in the Dark and Dark Corners of the Earth had vast potential, being inspired by Lovecraft's works; alas, little substance found its way in the final result.
I haven't played Forbidden Siren or Fatal Frame, so I can't say anything bout them.

TezChi 05-17-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLiCK! (Post 468829)
I want to play second part also, but now it only for XBOX 360 and PS 3:frown:

You aren't missing much in my opininon. Condemned 2 was a big letdown, specially considering the first one was so good. Condemned 2...it starts off well, but about half way through it gets very silly and is not scary at all. I was very disapointed with it.

nomadsoul 05-18-2008 07:46 AM

I am hardcore fan of horror games, and loved condemend, the whole atmosphere of first part was missing in sequel.
I was so dissapointed with sequel that i cant even tell.

The characters modle changed,the story feels dragged, there is disconnect between both games.

Its like they went to commercial appeal for sequel, with multiplayers and dramatic cheesy story , which killed the feeling.

Anyways Fatalframe whole trilogy is my pick, SH is more pscychological horror.
The whole problem with FFseriesn is that whole ghost phenomenon is thng of asia more than west.

If you believe in it and know the CASES occuring in asia only then you ca feel FF, else it woul not creep you out.

In other words FF is best for those who undertasnd japan completely.

TezChi 05-18-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadsoul (Post 469059)

Its like they went to commercial appeal for sequel, with multiplayers and dramatic cheesy story , which killed the feeling.
completely.

I completely agree. I am also a massive fan of horror games, and had been looking forward to Condemned 2 for ages. It seems, as you say, as if they went for a more casual, mainstream approach, with adding multiplayer and concentrating way too much on combat. I don't buy a horror title to pull of combo attacks like something from a fighting game.

I also agree with the ghost phenomena in FF. For me personally, I am a huge fan of the paranormal in general (I've been to a few proffesional investigations into it). So anything to do with Esoteric or paranormal events like in FF is perfect for me. And it does help if you beleive in it in real life too.

Condemned 2 on the other hand, while it did have its moments...it simply didn't hold together.

nomadsoul 05-20-2008 07:09 PM

One thing that is important in any horror is that the lead person should be overwhlemed, by ammoshortage or fighting or by gender.

Some makers put females into games like FF or cult classic D, to make things more suited for horror.

If you have badass character with pull arsenal of moves and weapons and your enemies weaker than it dosnt work.

It happens in condmened sequel, doom3, and silenthill etc.
However suffering another very tight psycho horror had same badass hero but his enemies were more badass than him and dont die in few bullets like doom or SH.

In most Sh i dont even need to fight, its soeasy to run away form enemies , SH brings horror only with sound and imagery not with tension in gameplay.

In condemend 1, the fights were more intense, and slow, the pace was right, weapons were scarce, infact you get pistol few times, in sequel it had fulltime weapons.

The feeling of loneliness and isolation was also better in 1, where 2 has swat memebers and other characters constntly in contact, kills the tension.

Deadspace is also lookign cool, more like suffering in space, the creatue designs is awesome, and they also are making ammo shortage to kick up the tension.