You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What games are there that my girl friend would like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default What games are there that my girl friend would like?

As the title suggests I'd like to find games that my girl friend would enjoy.
I own a PS2, Wii and PSP and even though I have a relatively large game library the only titles that she even touches are Lumines II (PSP) and Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3 on the Wii.

I'd love for her to enjoy gaming as much as me, but she's almost afraid of trying. She usually says things like "there are too many buttons for me to keep track of"... I think that the Wii could be the platform to find this game. Maybe anyone out there has any suggestions.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Treasure Hunter

So... since you have a Wii, I assume you have Wii Sports? And she doesn't want to try it?

Hmm... that's a tough one. Try Bombastic for PS2. I bought it for a bargain and it's one of the few games my brother can soundly defeat me at. (The controls are rather simple. It's basically an arcade-type game, and is really fun.)

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 04-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Master of time and space

Yes another puzzle game might be something. Is the multiplayer part of bombastic good? Anyway, I think I'm looking for something where we can play cooperatively, helping each other attain a common goal. Like Gears of War, but not FPS and not "overly" complex controls and maybe not scary monsters either when I think about it (she refuses to enter the room when I'm playing Resident Evil ).
Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
"there are too many buttons for me to keep track of"...
Isn't she at all interested in point and click adventures? Not many buttons to keep track of there.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
handsome

Well my gf loves Bloodrayne and King of Fighters .. dunno why.

Quote:
I think I'm looking for something where we can play cooperatively, helping each other attain a common goal. Like Gears of War, but not FPS and not "overly" complex controls (...) and maybe not scary monsters either when I think about it (she refuses to enter the room when I'm playing Resident Evil ).
Try classics like Streets of Rage first or something like that, its fun and she can learn some "basics".

Quote:
(...)and maybe not scary monsters either when I think about it (she refuses to enter the room when I'm playing Resident Evil ).

Last edited by TiAgUh; 04-06-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Isn't she at all interested in point and click adventures? Not many buttons to keep track of there.
I've tried playing Syberia with her, but she fell asleep on my shoulder...

I've seen some trailers of games that were they coop multi player could be what I'm looking for.
e.g.)
* De Blob
* Little Big Planet
* Super Smash Bros.
* Katamari

Quote:
Try classics like Streets of Rage first or something like that, its fun and she can learn some "basics".
Beat em' ups seem to bore her.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
handsome

Quote:
Beat em' ups seem to bore her.
How about some good old Tekken?

For an easy and fun game there's for PS2 (no Co-op) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTdOYIIWNA [Action Adventure]

For an easy and extremely fun game there's Super Farm, also for the PS2 (up to 4 players) - http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/s...ag=tabs;images [Mini-Games]

Last edited by TiAgUh; 04-06-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Homer of Kittens

My girlfriend loved Psychonauts which you can find on the PS2. She also fell in love with ICO, another title that is very adventuresque in nature.

As far as the PSP goes, she loves Locoroco and Patapon. In Locoroco, you only use the shoulder buttons and a couple of the face buttons.
Patapon is an RPG/strategy/rythm game, where you only use the 4 face buttons.

On the Wii, she rocks on to Guitar Hero, and whips everyone's ass online. I don't even dare play against her.

She also loves the Sims on the PC, which is the international video game for girls

Firefox rules
Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #9

LEGO star wars is the game that got me over my fear of console games and their "complicated" controls. There's only a few buttons to push and you can do without any fancy combos. It's impossible to screw up and if you do happen to "die" you just burst apart into a colourful spray of LEGO pieces and continue as you were, you don't even have to go back to the beginning of the screen or level or w/e. The little LEGO people are quite cute and funny, it's all very charming and uncomplicated.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
She also loves the Sims on the PC, which is the international video game for girls
Yeah he's right, Girl + Computer = Sims easy.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Not for this girl. I've never had any desire to play the Sims.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #12

I always get a kick out of the Sam & Max series.

And since they're episodic, they don't take that long to play. Here is a nice Sam & Max Overview
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #13

I remember one of the best times I had with my boyfriend was playing 'World of Illusion' Starring Mickey and Donald.

Unfortunately it's on the ol' Sega Mega Drive. I had to mention it anyway just because it was the only game I could think of that's side-scrolling, co-op, easy controls, and enjoyable for girls that don't game regularly.

It's a little cutesy but my boyfriend still liked it. He's into racers, shooters and the like so that's saying something... and probably embarrassing him as well.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Master of time and space

Thanks for the input. I'll look into some of these titles. I think the key is intuitive controls and cooperative game play in some way. She's not very competitive so a game where we compete won't do (for now anyway).
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Master of time and space

Just made an order for Lumines Plus. Apparently she'd love to kick my ass in it...
This could turn out good
Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post

Actually, I think it's just as popular with guys as with girls. There's just something about playing god that appeals to people.

Some of them play the game in a serious way, nurturing their Sims like they would (okay, in the case of some people "should") nurture their own children...others are silly and look for the most creative ways to kill off their Sims, and record those things with screenshots.

And then there's that one person who ran a Wolfling Run with the Sims 2...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #17
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

How about Oblivion? It's fun, the graphics are good, you get your money's worth. You can fight, dress up, run quests, etc... I played Oblivion for months and loved it.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #18
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
How about Oblivion? It's fun, the graphics are good, you get your money's worth. You can fight, dress up, run quests, etc... I played Oblivion for months and loved it.

Personally, I'd rather recommend Morrowind. With a few mods (especially for the bodies and faces, though this is not really necessary), it's really great. And you can download lots of awesome clothing and armor mods (especially if you use the Better Bodies mod. There's not many clothing mods for the standard bodies these days) if you want to play dress up - seriously, I don't usually am interested in fancy clothing or shoes in real life, but in Morrowind (or other games, it seems) I had to get a house mod just to have a closet to put all the clothes in as I had some 3000 items in my inventory at one point...

But most of all, the story is much better, the enemies don't scale, and you can't use transport systems to go just anywhere, meaning you'll have to explore the area a bit - but trust me, it is worth it.

Other mods I'd recommend is the LGNPC Project (Less Generic NPC Project), which gives each NPC in the game individual dialogue, instead of the standard dialogue for the area. Also, some new side quests are added.

Then there's several different Texture enhancement packs available, which aren't absolutely necessary, but still nice.

There's lots of other interesting and fun mods for that game, that improve it even more. Like Companion mods (I recommend Julan Ashlander Companion by Kateri, but Constanze is also great).

Though I think the Shivering Isles Expansion for Oblivion looks great. Three cheers for Ol'Shoggy!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #19
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I read a letter to the editor recently in an issue of Official Xbox Magazine where the reader had played through BioShock with his wife. Apparently, she was so touched by the game's "good" ending, she broke into tears. So I'll go out on a limb and suggest BioShock.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #20
Master of time and space

She's watched me play both Oblivion and Bioshock and those games doesn't make a dent in her. She's only ever played Super Mario Bros. and Lumines. Story or exploration driven games only seem to bore her. Also the controls are probably too complicated. She gave up on Super Mario Bros. 3 in favor of Super Mario Bros. because the controls were simpler (no grabbing or tail waving etc.).

I'm hoping the controls on the Wii will suit her more.

PS: I'm on a Linux computer so no PC gaming here...