Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming soon? - Apparently so! Yay! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/21807-beyond-good-evil-2-coming-soon-apparently-so-yay.html)

Ninja Dodo 01-25-2008 05:34 AM

Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming soon? - Apparently so! Yay!

I don't know how closely everyone else has been reading the Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars blog after seeing those leaked KQ9 screens in the AG news, but I found this bit intriguing:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfer Girl
3) Ubisoft Montpelier is working on Beyond Good & Evil 2, Frédérick Raynal's new game (creepy), and an MMO. One of those will see release next year and the other two in 2009.

(...)

UPDATE #2: In a comment on the GameSetWatch post about this post (and others), Phil Fish says this (which is essentially what I've been hearing for awhile):

"at first, RRR was going to be your usual rayman platform game, but with wii controls. or atleast that's what ancel wanted to make. but it became clear early on that this wasnt going to be possible.
so, so other designer stepped up and came up up with the mini/party game idea using the rabbids character that ancel had came up with himself. higher-ups were pleased and the project was given a greenlight. ancel was FURIOUS. he threatened to leave ubisoft if he didnt get what he wanted. afraid to lose their ONE big famous designer (altho i guess clint kind of fits that mold now), ubisoft caved in and pretty much gave ancel a carte blanche to do whatever he wished next. so he made beyond good and evil too. and thats why ancel isnt credited as a designer on RR but rather just as a character designer."

Based on her other posts Surfer Girl appears to be remarkably well-informed, so I'm inclined to believe this.

I guess we'll see what happens to Pey'j and Jade after all. Also, Frédérick Raynal (creator of LBA) making a new game is no less cause for celebration. :)

Kolzig 01-25-2008 06:06 AM

Yeah, Ancel's and Raynal's possible new projects get myself quite excited.
It's not easy to describe how happy I will be if and when those projects will be unveiled to be true.

Marek 01-25-2008 06:45 AM

BG&E2 could actually be a sales success and even warrant a third game. Look at what happened with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

Too bad the executives will have to stumble upon this success by accident.

Ninja Dodo 01-25-2008 08:16 AM

I think the only reason the Prince of Persia sequels sold was positive word of mouth about Sands of Time, because it won't have been their merits. Same thing could indeed happen to BG&E, only with a sequel that deserves the attention...

JKR 01-25-2008 08:23 AM

I'm waiting for SurferGirl to be proven right a bit before jumping on the bandwagon. While BG&E2 would be great, I won't hold my breath just yet.

Terramax 01-25-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek (Post 457246)
BG&E2 could actually be a sales success and even warrant a third game. Look at what happened with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

Too bad the executives will have to stumble upon this success by accident.

Shadow of the Colossus was no accident. Sony plugged in a heck of a lot more money in advertisement. They really pushed for it to be a big hit.

But agreed Ubisoft could learn from that example. From one colossal failure to a colossal success so long as they put the effort to make that game known.

insane_cobra 01-27-2008 02:37 AM

Surfer Girl has been proven right many times, the most recent one being her Resistance 2 reveal.

I'm looking forward to BG&E2, but the next Raynal's game is what makes me especially excited.

Starflux 01-28-2008 04:38 AM

Just think back about what oracle Ron Gilbert said: Humongous' children's adventures only became successes with their second and third instalments. Somehow, sequels inspire trust, or there's brand recognition, I don't know, but it seems a game first has to enter the gaming lexicon or discours of the general public, and then it can hit.

A more colloquial response to this thread, however, is WOOHOO! :D A next-gen Beyond Good & Evil! Hell yes! If this thing comes out I am going to assault people into buying it! (If it's any good, of course ^_^)

JKR 01-28-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra (Post 457424)
Surfer Girl has been proven right many times, the most recent one being her Resistance 2 reveal.

I'm looking forward to BG&E2, but the next Raynal's game is what makes me especially excited.

Any link to a place that catalogs her correct "predictions"? I mean, I'm hardly deep within the game industry, but even I knew Resistance 2 was in the works. I don't see that as much proof. It's like saying "There will be a new Mario Party for the Wii".

Ninja Dodo 01-28-2008 10:07 AM

The Rabbids being a platformer originally is certainly true, though I'm not sure whether there might already be other sources publicly confirming this.

Her posting various screenshots lends a degree of credibility as well. It would be fairly easy to tell if they were faked and I have hard time imagining anyone bothering to put that much effort into an elaborate hoax that would inevitably fall apart in a matter of months if not weeks.

insane_cobra 01-28-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKR (Post 457582)
Any link to a place that catalogs her correct "predictions"? I mean, I'm hardly deep within the game industry, but even I knew Resistance 2 was in the works. I don't see that as much proof. It's like saying "There will be a new Mario Party for the Wii".

It's not just that she said it was coming, she actually revealed some details that later turned out to be true. However, I believe Insomniac asked her to remove that information because she later edited her posts and now won't talk about Resistance 2 anymore. She also released several screenshots from an early build of the next Prince of Persia game, together with some info that was later confirmed by a person who used to work for Ubisoft when the project was in its early stages. Similarly, she revealed the title of Bioware's Sonic the Hedgehog RPG (although at the time she only knew that it was a western studio produced action RPG for SEGA, not that it was the Sonic RPG) and some other things I can't seem to remember now.

By the way, Raynal working for Ubisoft Montpelier has been confirmed by the man himself ages ago.

Kolzig 02-03-2008 12:10 AM

It's quite cool to hear Raynal's name connected with game development after so long time.

el_galo 02-12-2008 06:03 AM

Oho, this would be nice. I'd love to see Jade back in action!

a game as captivating as BG&E should really have had a much wider audience. so I must agree with the posts above. it deserves another chance.

Trader 02-16-2008 08:06 AM

I loved this game but couldnt finish it because of the fight sequence with the boss gave me motion sickness, but I would play it if they make a 2nd game.

Periglo 02-21-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trader (Post 459746)
I loved this game but couldnt finish it because of the fight sequence with the boss gave me motion sickness, but I would play it if they make a 2nd game.

It that the final fight? Do you know there is a sequence of actions to win this? When you get to know them you can win almost with your eyes closed (exactly what you feel like doing in this intense sequence).

Ninja Dodo 02-21-2008 08:48 AM

Motion sickness is kind of unavoidable even then though I would think... I know people who can't play any third person games because the camera just makes them sick.

The only game that's done that for me was Narbacular Drop, due to the insane space warping and jarring camera moves but I'm glad they ironed that out in Portal.

Trader 03-08-2008 10:10 AM

I get sick sitting on a merry-go-round [seriously] I cant play tomb-raider or any car games, I feel sick just thinking about it.

MdaG 03-08-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo (Post 460335)
Motion sickness is kind of unavoidable even then though I would think... I know people who can't play any third person games because the camera just makes them sick.

The only game that's done that for me was Narbacular Drop, due to the insane space warping and jarring camera moves but I'm glad they ironed that out in Portal.

I remember Wolfenstein 3D making me sick, but apart from that one I can't recall any other game.

kadji-kun 03-09-2008 11:15 AM

If anyone was to care, I'd really like to see Advent Rising series continued just like BG&E. :D

SoccerDude28 05-17-2008 08:52 PM

Well according to a French magazine, it says that the game is in pre-production. But before all you celebrate, Ubisoft has not given the green light to build this game. So let's just hope someone in Ubisoft management has common sense.