You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming soon? - Apparently so! Yay!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #21
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Motion sickness... The only game that's done that for me was Narbacular Drop... I'm glad they ironed that out in Portal.
Me too. I was playing ND yesterday, and it took me a while to figure out that the reason I felt so crappy when I stopped was because of motion sickness. It's the first time I'd experienced it playing a 3D game, so I didn't know what was happening. Just thinking about it makes my head start to get dizzy.

On the main topic, I would like to see a sequel to BG&E as well. However, I should probably actually play the original first. I've had it in my 'yet to be played' pile for... umm... a very long time?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I should probably actually play the original first.
Has anyone played the Rayman games. I have tried the first... funny, but a bit aged I guess. Right now, I am playing Rayman 2 and I am loving it, reminds me a lot of BG&E (those blue rays at gates...). I also tried Rayman 3... big disappointment; imho they completely missed the point after Mr. Ancel left the franchise.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Is there any more news about BG&E sequel?

I read something that Ancel had been talking to the press about it, hinting the project bein in pre-production, but not greenlighted by Ubisoft.

I doubt Ubisoft likes him going on talking about the project. I sure hope they will greenlight it.

The world needs more Beyond Good & Evil.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #24
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq
Default Beyond Good & Evil 2!!!

OMGOMGOMGOMG!! WOO!!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52879
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #25
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

'bout bloody time, too!

Yaaaay
Old 05-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #26

Yeah, I just saw this. Now Microsoft needs to get the first one on the Backwards Compatibility list and my life will be complete... It shouldn't be TOO hard, considering Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is on there and it runs on the same engine as BG&E.

...Man, that game is so good!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #27
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

Yes Yes YES!!!

This is exactly what I've been waiting for!! Looks incredible.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #28

Yes, this is most excellent news.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #29
Homer of Kittens

This is the most exciting title to me personally this generation. This and Brutal Legend of course Can't wait to see Jade in action.

Firefox rules
Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #30
Club a seal or two

I am shocked and excited. Shocited.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #31
Hopeful skeptic

Excellent news indeed. I'm surprised people are surprised, though. I figured it was inevitable. Ubi only has so many cash cows to milk, after all. And while the first BG&E may have tanked on release, it's become such a word-of-mouth hit since then that it's like a movie that makes up for its box office failure by ruling on DVD and then getting a sequel.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #32
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

..or it's like one of those things that only sells to a tiny little niche who frequent specialized forums. It's hardly a "cash cow", more like a beloved pet rat. You think the average gamer's heard of Beyond Good & Evil?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #33
Hopeful skeptic

I didn't call it a cash cow, as should have been obvious by saying it tanked. I said they could only milk their cash cows (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Rainbow Six) so often before turning to other franchises.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #34
Not like them!

Oh, I see. Sorry.

It sounds like this is all about Ubisoft not wanting Ancel to leave, not about them looking for a new franchise. Apparently they've reached a compromise, where Ancel will make it easier than the first game so Ubisoft can sell it to more casual players.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #35
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Strange. The original was one of the easiest console games I've played - even my usual approach of "spacking the buttons" got me through without any trauma.

I'm not sure how making a game easier would increase its popularity with casual games players - surely simplicity is more important than easiness in that market, and I'd hate to see BG&E turn into glorified Peggle or something. We'll see.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #36
Homer of Kittens

The "making it easy part" has got me worried, because like a lot of other folks, I thought the original Beyond Good and Evil difficulty was just perfect (not too easy and not too difficult). What I am worried about is Ubisoft management interfering with Michael Ancel's genius and design, to serve the lowest common denominator, instead of just letting him make the game he wants to make.

And I find Yves Guillemot's logic that the first game didn't sell because it was too difficult insulting to our intelligence. Wouldn't people need to buy it first to know it is difficult? And from when was difficulty a measure of a game's success? I understand a game like Ninja Gaiden not selling as well because of its sadistic difficulty, pointed at by many reviewers, but Beyond Good and Evil is no where near that game in terms of difficulty. Hell it is easier than most of the other Ubisoft million + dollar franchises. Maybe Yves needs to consider blaming his lack of marketing for a fresh new franchise, and that these kinds of games like Psychonauts, don't necessarily attract the trigger happy FPS crowd.

Firefox rules
Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #37

Send a message via MSN to Sgt. BigMac

I hope they follow up with the ending of the 1st game.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #38
Not like them!

It should be noted that "easiness" is just me reading into what's been said. The original word was "accessibility".
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #39
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

When someone talks about the "accessibility" of a game like Beyond Good & Evil, I fear that it may be the originality of the game world that's the issue rather than the gameplay. Making it more accessible may well mean toning down the sci-fi and fantasy elements, or at least making them less apparent to the casual back-of-the-box browser. As we've seen countless times, 'originality' in gaming does not sell.

Naturally, it's perfectly possible to disguise a game's hidden depths from the casual observer, which is something the original game managed to do perfectly well - it's just that the awesomeness was hidden under a veneer of kooky sci-fi that was unlikely to leap off the shelves, rather than something more mainstream and saleable.

So, talk of making it more "accessible" isn't the end of the world, especially if there's some kind of compromise involved. I hope!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #40
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
It should be noted that "easiness" is just me reading into what's been said. The original word was "accessibility".
What he exactly said:
"We think the game was probably a little too difficult for the general gamers at that time. We’re going to make it more accessible and make sure that it’s really done for the new generation that’s come into videogames."

So from the context of the prior sentence, it seemed that he was talking about the difficulty of the prior game.

Firefox rules