You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Best/ Fav Horror Games (preferably PS2 & PC)

View Poll Results: Your fav horror game franchise (PS2 and/ or PC)
Silent Hill 10 43.48%
Resident Evil 3 13.04%
Forbidden Siren 1 4.35%
Fatal Frame/ Project Zero 1 4.35%
Alone in the Dark 0 0%
Blair Witch 0 0%
Obscure 0 0%
Clocktower (and others like Haunted 0 0%
Glass Rose 0 0%
Dino Crisis 0 0%
Parasite Eve 1 4.35%
Post Mortem/ Still Life 0 0%
D/ D2 0 0%
The Suffering 1 4.35%
Other 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

Default Best/ Fav Horror Games (preferably PS2 & PC)

Hi there.

I'm looking into getting some new horror games for the PS2 and/ or PC. I've played all the Silent Hills so I'm looking into buying ones from other franchises.

I'm looking to get ones with in depth stories. There are some I've already decided I'm not going to buy, but I'd like to make my decision based on what everyone's favourite horror franchise is.

Further more, it'd just be interesting to see what really reigns supreme here.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Well, aside from the usual (Silent Hill & Resident Evil series) I would recommend the Fatal Frame series and Siren. Parasite Eve really isn't horror but more of a sci-fi/fantasy angle and it's more of an RPG, it's still good though.

The Suffering was okay but I didn't really dig part 2.

With the PC there are just way too many to mention but based on your selections I would say the Blair Witch Trilogy.

Last edited by Endosanity; 12-24-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

Forbidden Siren is made by the Team Silent, but it is very hard, and you have to be quite patient.
If you can deal with the sometimes unfair difficulty, it's very enjoyable both for horror and stealth (i'm getting the second one, which is allegedly more accessible).

I also thought that The Black Mirror was quite atmospheric, too.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 AM   #4

As far as I'm aware, the makers of the first Silent Hill went on to make Forbidden Siren (hence some major similarities, not least the sirens).

I'm wondering if they created the game due to a fallout with Konami with the Silent Hill franchise(?)

So far I've ordered Fatal Frame/ Project Zero 2. This story is stand alone from 1 & 3 and received the better reviews so here's hoping I'll enjoy that most.

Is the Blair Witch trilogy scary and/ or have a good plot?

Did you vote 'other' for Black Mirror, Hammerite?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Cheese Pants King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Is the Blair Witch trilogy scary and/ or have a good plot?
Only part one had some good scares, parts 2 & 3 were more for background story. I thought the games did a fairly decent job of giving insight to the whole Blair Witch story.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Adventure Addict

Well, my favorite horror game isn't even a horror game... only one small portion of the game is. That game is Thief III: Deadly Shadows.

There's a level in that game called the Shalebridge Cradle.. that takes place in a condemned children's mental asylum that (I believe) was closed down from a fire. Never in my life have I played a game or seen a movie that was as freaky as this one particular level. If you Google it, there's a lot of discussion about this. It was the first time anything like this has actually scared me.

It's something I'll never forget. Unfortunately it takes about 8 hours of prior gameplay to reach this level.

Here are a few quotes I found from a google search:
Quote:
That said, Shalebridge Cradle scared me like you wouldn't believe. There even came a point where I had to take a break because it was getting too intense. Let me just say this: At the foot of the stairs to the Attic, I was genuinely scared. When I reached the top, my heart was pounding so fast I had to stop for a while, quit back to desktop, do something elseÖ whatever. I just couldn't take it.
Quote:
The Shalebridge Cradle was, beyond a doubt, the creepiest level of any game I’ve ever played or seen. The voice acting was chilling (”… the Nursery Tower, where the babies used to be…”) and the atmosphere was pretty immersive.
Quote:
After weeks of playing I finally arrived at the much-praised "Shalebridge Cradle" level for Thief: Deadly Shadows. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical. I've been enjoying my Thief 3 experience so far, but the game certainly wasn't up to the standards set by Thief 1. While really immersive (the Hammer Cathedral and Pagan Sanctuary stand out), the atmosphere is lacking the foreboding darkness of such first game greats as "Down in the Bonehoard" and "Return to the Cathedral". Could (and would?) "Shalebridge Cradle" revive the specters of the past?

The level loaded up and I was presented with the dark outside of the old asylum/orphanage. I spent a few minutes walking around, scoping out the structure. The sky was suitable overcast and there was a nice spooky ambient vibe in the air. I had to admit, it looked interesting. I then found the hatch leading down to the level proper.

OH. MY. WORD.

I hadn't even taken three steps when it became abundantly clear - this was going to be something special. The atmosphere was so thick you could trim it with a lawnmower. Ghostly whispers, children crying softly, insane screams. And that damn sound of something banging around upstairs.

After spending some more time with the level (played with headphones between 00:00 and 01:00!) I can say that this has to be right up there with the absolute best Thief has to offer. Scratch that - the absolute best anything has to offer. I nearly passed out when the banging increased in ferocity as I headed up some stairs.

You want first person immersion? Play this level.

The list goes on. I've played this game 3 times all the way through JUST so I could get back to that level and play it again.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #7

Thief is one of those series that I've never got round to playing. The action elements seem to turn me away from them.

I'll have to watch a friend go through one of them or something one day.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
handsome

Remember The Thing? Liked the movie? If so then you'll like the game. Team management is awesome! Especially when someone freaks out .
Well, its a good game, nothing more. Here's a review.

Watch the Top 10 Scariest Video Games of All Time, it might help.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
DAVE

Thief isn't supposed to have action in it, you shouldn't even be fighting in it. There's Call of Cthulhu, The shalebridge cradle level in Thief 3 is the single best horror experience I ever had in a game, the Vampire Bloodlines game had lots of horror in it, and I mean intense can-hear-my-heart-beating-like-crazy horror in it, atmosphere. For real. Then you have the AVP games with more action in them but a great horror atmosphere, especially as a marine. The Thing was nice but after a while you realize that teammates being turned into "things" is simply scripted and I've even seen myself testing a guy, getting a negative reaction and then ten seconds later he turns into an alien. Great.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
capsized.

I still have very, very fond memories of the day my box of Waxworks arrived (Amiga version, MUCH better music than this ugh). Scared the crap out of my 14 years old self me that night. Horrorsoft ruled. I'd love to have that again. Problem is, if you're looking out for that Horror Game™, you know exactly what you're in for. That's not my idea of terror. When people nowadays watch Alien or The Excorcist, they deem those as boring, predictable and maybe even funny, but that's because they have already seen dozens upon dozens of movies doing similar things and let's tell it like it is: They have been witnesses of out-right ripping-off of ideas, re-hashing the same stuff over and over again. Plus, what once made people ran out of theaters is nowadays all sold over the news. Or in Saturday morning children shows.

It was refreshing to play something like Silent Hill. But then they had to repeat that. Over. And over. And over. Sadly looking out for a game that might make you wet your pants is kinda like renting the latest Slasher Flick™ on DVD, while something like "Requiem For A Dream" or "Mullholland Drive" would have probably been the movies that might have actually cost you some sleep. But then how would you know? That's the thing. My vote goes to Shock (rather obvious) and Thief (not all that obvious, much-talked about Cradle from Deadly Shadows or no). For The Cradle isn't even really representative of the series anyway, but it doesn't need to to make me name the game.

There's something inherently eerie about the entire World and just the entire game. It's kind of Steam Punk meets The Name Of The Rose meets Evil Dead, or something. And then how about the constant feeling of paranoia which only gets even thicker because of Eric Brosius' unsettling ambient tracks brooding all throughout. Well that and let's just say Garrett doesn't stop at just robbing the riches.. Lurking in the shadows, holding your breath in order to be able to pay attention to each and every creaking little sound because you HAVE to - the entire thing is just the kind of stuff Hitchcock would have dreamt up had he been a game maker.

Hm, this thread reminded me that once upon a time "Call Of Cthulhu" (totally obvious) was on the top of my list of games to wait for. And now I still haven't bought it after all this time has passed since its release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
hen you have the AVP games with more action in them but a great horror atmosphere, especially as a marine.
The first marine level in AvP2 is pretty well set-up, it slowly builds up suspense, and at the end of it you're in the deepest shit you can imagine and just trying to get the hell out of there. I swear I played that in the afternoon and my little Alien fanboy heart was racing like silly. It was sweet. But I thought that was where the game also reached its real climax and never gained quite the same momentum afterwards. Liked it though, and being able to play as all three species was also interesting.

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-25-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: braaiiins
Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #11
kamikaze hummingbirds

I voted for Silent Hill, because they're freaking awesome.
But I also recommend System Shock 2, and Thief: Deadly Shadows (agreeing with badmojo's Shalebridge Cradle comment)
Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #12

I've managed to get Forbidden Siren I, Project Zero I & II all for £5 each (about $10).

I'm quite excited about Project Zero 2. Forbidden Siren seems like the exact kind of horror game I like. One where it's pretty much useless trying to kill things. For me, a horror game with no weapons, where your only choice is to run like hell would be the scariest.

Then again, I've pretty much played that with Clocktower 3, which wasn't exactly the greatest horror experience.

You know I might just download a demo of Thief 3 after all this talk.

I've contemplated System Shock 2 for a while but surely it wouldn't effect you know half as much as it did back when it was first released?

Quote:
Watch the Top 10 Scariest Video Games of All Time, it might help.
Yes, I saw this about 6 months ago. Although I don't agree with some of the entries, I think I'm gonna check out the original Clocktower.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Master of time and space

Having played Silent Hill 2, Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil 0 and 3, my vote goes to Call of Chtulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth. Best horror game I've ever played.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
Then you have the AVP games with more action in them but a great horror atmosphere, especially as a marine.
The 1st AVP was awesome back in the days, now its just funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
The Thing was nice but after a while you realize that teammates being turned into "things" is simply scripted and I've even seen myself testing a guy, getting a negative reaction and then ten seconds later he turns into an alien. Great.
Well THAT sucks ..you've just ruined the game for me . Well.. i still love seeing them puke all over the place
Old 12-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Having played Silent Hill 2, Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil 0 and 3, my vote goes to Call of Chtulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth. Best horror game I've ever played.
Have you spelt that game right? I've tried looking it up on Amazon.co.uk & Wiki and it's not finding anything.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
Master of time and space

Quote:
Have you spelt that game right? I've tried looking it up on Amazon.co.uk & Wiki and it's not finding anything.
I spelt it wrong. This is the game I'm talking about. There's a PC version too.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:07 AM   #17

It looks pretty good but it's received some critisism for many bugs and respawning enemies.

It's currently £8.50 on Amazon.co.uk so I'll wait for it to go down in price then I'll take this one on too.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 AM   #18
Master of time and space

Quote:
It looks pretty good but it's received some critisism for many bugs and respawning enemies.

It's currently £8.50 on Amazon.co.uk so I'll wait for it to go down in price then I'll take this one on too.
I have the XBOX version and I haven't noticed any bugs?
I'm still only half way through it so there might be some later on...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #19

Ah, I be on about the PC version.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
Cheese Pants King

Quote:

I've played the PC version and only encountered one game breaking bug. But, it's easy to avoid. Enemies don't really respawn unless you go in a direction you're not really supposed to. It's the games way of telling you, try a different direction. There is one or two areas that do constantly spawn enemies every now and then to keep you moving instead of standing around, other then that once you clear out an area it stays empty.

However, once you kill something the way it falls over and fades into nothingness is kind of corny. It's a good game though, give the PC version a shot if you find it cheap enough.