Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Anyone still playing their GameCube? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/21464-anyone-still-playing-their-gamecube.html)

Reflection 12-01-2007 03:43 PM

Anyone still playing their GameCube?

I've been buying lots of GameCube games lately, so recommend me some and discuss console!

Endosanity 12-01-2007 06:58 PM

I still use mine. Haven't made the next gen. jump yet so I'm still playing all the old school stuff. On Gamecube I currently play Metroid Prime 1 & 2 and Eternal Darkness. I'd like to pick up some of the Mario and Zelda games but they seem to hold thier value and are like $40 a piece still. Killer 7 is pretty wild too.

I have Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes but I don't know if it's any good or not. It's been sitting here for about year, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

ProggleRock 12-01-2007 09:20 PM

I've been playing the Prince of Persia games quite a bit. Finished Beyond Good and Evil and Killer 7 quite a while ago, but both were very memorable experiences. Also, can't go wrong with the Resident Evil games (0, 1, and 4).

Endosanity 12-01-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProggleRock (Post 450565)
Also, can't go wrong with the Resident Evil games (0, 1, and 4).

True, and if you haven't played Resident Evil 2 & 3 yet... get those also. A little bit harder to find but they are great if you never caught the PS1 or PC versions.

MdaG 12-02-2007 02:08 AM

My brother gave his gamecube to me along with Metroid Prime. I've bought Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid - Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 1 since then. So far I've finished Metroid Prime and Metal Gear Solid and both were really good. I'm currently playing Resident Evil 0 and while it's not as good as the previously mentioned it's still worth the €15 I paid for it by far.

Reflection 12-02-2007 02:59 PM

Damn. I just counted my GameCube games. I have 61!

Looking into getting the Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell games. Are they any good? Also looking at Turok Evolution, FPS with dinosaurs?

I should received the James Bond games tomorrow.

I've been enjoying Medal of Honor: Frontline. Not a fan of FPS, but that game and Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are pretty amazing.

Giligan 12-02-2007 08:05 PM

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was supposed to be the best of the series so far. I've got it for the Gamecube and played it, and I recommend it, although I'm not sure if it's worth the title of "best". It's still a great game though.

Phantom 12-03-2007 08:24 AM

I recently played and finished Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Master Quest) on gamecube. Quite challenging, but not as much as I expected. The water temple (most difficult temple EVER in any zelda game, as far as I'm concerned) is actually much easier in MQ than in the normal edition.

MdaG 12-03-2007 11:43 PM

Is it worth picking up Ocarina of Time (or is it getting too old now)? I haven't played a Zelda game since Link to the past...

MoriartyL 12-04-2007 07:37 AM

F-Zero GX is fantastic, if you're willing to invest the practice time needed to get anywhere in it.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (not to be confused with Donkey Konga) is also good for practicing, but it's a much lighter (and shorter) game. On the other hand, I think it's worth the price even if you only play through the game once and never really delve into it. The controls are that good. Of course, it's more expensive than most games, seeing as how you need the special drum controller. But it's a really great platformer. I go back to it every now and then. Just recently I got the Platinum crest for Chili Pepper Kingdom. I'm pretty proud of that.

MoriartyL 12-04-2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflection (Post 450683)
Looking into getting the Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell games. Are they any good?

Prince of Persia is trash. A lot of people disagree with me on that, but I stand by my assessment. It's trash, through and through. I played the first Splinter Cell, and it's not bad. Not spectacular, but not Prince of Persia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 450890)
Is it worth picking up Ocarina of Time (or is it getting too old now)? I haven't played a Zelda game since Link to the past...

Oh my god yes. No, it's not too old. In fact, I'd argue it hasn't been surpassed. But I'll warn you, there is no substitute for an actual Nintendo 64 to play it on. That is to say, I've never played it on a Nintendo 64, and I'm constantly looking for a substitute, and I haven't found one. The Gamecube controller is inadequate for the controls because you lose the C-buttons. The workaround is awkward, especially when playing the Ocarina. The Wii doesn't look like it's any better: It would work very nicely on the remote+nunchuck combo, but as far as I can tell you're not allowed to play it that way.

But with that said... It is still the best game ever. It's got tiny flaws in it, but they're so tiny they put every comparable game to shame. And it's just bursting with great ideas, every one of them well implemented. And it's a powerful emotional journey (at least compared to every other game out there). And it's got classic music and clever puzzles and intense battles and an unforgettable world...

Play it. Play it play it play it. If you have the opportunity, don't pass it up.

MdaG 12-04-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 450940)
Play it. Play it play it play it. If you have the opportunity, don't pass it up.

Am I right to assume that you recommend Ocarina of Time more than Twilight Princess? I only have the Gamecube to play on... I'm thinking of getting that Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Zelda & Zelda 2 bundle.

JKR 12-04-2007 11:12 AM

I sold off my sweet little Gamecube when I got the Wii. So yes, I still play GCN games, but not on the Cube anymore.

My favorites include some lesser known titles like Chibi Robo. I really recommend it, and you can find it for $10 now!

Plus Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda, and until Brawl shows up I still go back to Smash Bros. Melee.

MoriartyL 12-04-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 450976)
Am I right to assume that you recommend Ocarina of Time more than Twilight Princess?

Yes. Yes, definitely. Twilight Princess has many flaws, and fundamental ones. It has occasional points which are as good as anything in Ocarina of Time (and some which are positively brilliant), but the game as a whole has no idea what it's doing.

Chibi Robo is very charming. It's much like Zelda or Pikmin, but small-scale and massively quirky.

Atlantis 12-05-2007 10:16 AM

I havent made the next gen jump cus frankly Im.. old skool? (right term? xD )
I like my gamepads, none of this jumping around stuff.

Anyway, I still have my GC, dont use it so much anymore (I play my DS)
but I still own Luigi's mansion (Old, but bloody fun.) and Super Smash Bros (Amazing game.) I recently sold my copy of Animal Crossing to a friend, but that pretty decent too except for all the saving times and stuff.
Um, some of the Tony Hawks games are pretty fun but nothing special to the Gamecube.

One of the games I would most suggest would be Skies of Arcadia.
Its an rpg mainly, but it has a brilliant storyline, nice battle system and plays wonderfully, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
My brother I know loved Eternal Darkness and Mortal Kombat -I liked watching that, it has some nice features.
Umm.. oh, SSX is also very fun.

Reflection 12-05-2007 06:36 PM

I'm looking at some GC games on eBay. £3.50 for postage and packaging. Jesus Christ.

I have F Zero, I think I have that game on every console/handheld and Skies of Arcadia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 450939)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (not to be confused with Donkey Konga) is also good for practicing, but it's a much lighter (and shorter) game. On the other hand, I think it's worth the price even if you only play through the game once and never really delve into it. The controls are that good. Of course, it's more expensive than most games, seeing as how you need the special drum controller. But it's a really great platformer. I go back to it every now and then. Just recently I got the Platinum crest for Chili Pepper Kingdom. I'm pretty proud of that.

I always used to "add this game to the basket" online but never got round to buying it. :frown:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 450940)
Prince of Persia is trash. A lot of people disagree with me on that, but I stand by my assessment. It's trash, through and through. I played the first Splinter Cell, and it's not bad. Not spectacular, but not Prince of Persia.

I received PoP: Warrior Within not really liking it, the camera angle is pretty bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKR (Post 450979)
My favorites include some lesser known titles like Chibi Robo. I really recommend it, and you can find it for $10 now!

I'm in the UK though!

I'll post my GC games list soon.

Reflection 12-05-2007 06:47 PM

Animal Crossing
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Burnout
Dragon's Lair 3D
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
F-Zero GX
FIFA Soccer 2003
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Geist
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent GC
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
James Bond 007: NightFire
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Knockout Kings 2003
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legends of Wrestling
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Medal of Honor Frontline
Medal of Honor Rising Sun
Medal of Honor: European Assault
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
NHL 2003
Neighbors From Hell
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Pikmin
Pokemon Colosseum
Pool Paradise
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Red Faction II
Resident Evil
Shadow the Hedgehog
Shrek 2
Shrek Extra Large
Shrek SuperSlam
The Sims
The Sims Bustin' Out
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Riders
Soul Calibur II
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox: Assault
Star Wars Bounty Hunter
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$
Wave Race: Blue Storm
XIII

I wanted to get rid of LoW, awful game. Nobody buys that though!

I want to pick up Pikmin 2 in the future,and the two Call of Duty games.

Is Ikarauga (sp?) and Viewtuful Joe any good? I heard the games are "too hard" even on easiest mode.

£599.99 for a game!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aggressive-Inl...QQcmdZViewItem

Endosanity 12-05-2007 10:40 PM

Threre were some Burnout games on the Gamecube? Sweet, I am so going to look out for those.

I just finished up getting all Resident Evil releases on the Gamecube but now I'm scoping out getting the Mario and Zelda releases... even though they still hold thier value.

bigjko 12-06-2007 02:14 AM

Make sure you play Luigi's Mansion. One of the more underrated titles, IMO. Fantastic atmosphere and even though it will be a bit tiring at the end, sucking up ghosts is just so much fun. Also, Luigi FTW.

MoriartyL 12-06-2007 04:22 AM

I actually bought Luigi's Mansion. I bought it online, used, from Gamestop. It doesn't work. I don't know why- it doesn't seem to be very scratched, and I've tried cleaning it. But it doesn't work.