Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Game you're playing and given up on. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/21460-game-youre-playing-given-up.html)

Marrow 12-24-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 453361)
Hehe, you sound just like me when it comes to JRPGs :)
See my earlier post about Dragon Quest 8 and Star Ocean 3.
Great stories and graphics, but boooooring combat.

Those games are awesome. Reminds me of Final Fantasy :)
FF IV Advance, plenty of combat and FF III for the DS, so many battles and you can only pray that your party survives that battle to be able to see the next.

Hammerlock 12-30-2007 04:57 AM

To this day, I have yet to actually complete The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, despite many started attempts.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER completed a Legend of Zelda game...

MikaelS 12-30-2007 06:36 AM

Not too many games out there that I don't finish but here's few:

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened. I lost interest towards it, I really can't explain why. It just was far from what I expected.

Ankh: Another rare piece of adventure game that I gave up early quick. Silly puzzles and poor and annoying humor probably turned me off so quick.

Final Fantasy 12! Don't get me wrong, I intend to finish this game. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. I really don't know why I have stopped on certain part, but I just have. I will finish it though so not exactly given up...but it's been over 8 months since I touched the game. By the way, main character Vaan is extremely annoying in FF12. :D

Black - this first person shooter on PS2. Not really bad game either, but it gets old and boring quick. Levels feels too similar.

I saw Dragon Quest 8 mentioned on this topic...I thought the game was brilliant, with a nice touch of humor too. ;) One of the best console RPG's ever.

Terramax 12-30-2007 07:57 AM

I gave up on Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) very shortly after starting. The game begins like every other Zelda, with dialog that would probably speak down to an 8 year-old, bland graphics, slow and clunky controls for Link, and I won’t even start on the horse.

I paid £40 for an alternate, albeit not superior version of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that I shelled £40 for 10 years ago.
I loved The Wind Waker. It was visually stylish and complimented its playful nature. Twilight was a complete U-turn.

There was also Tomb Raider Legend with its minuscule locations, droning voice acting over the action, insultingly easy puzzles, restricting arcade bosses, pointless arcade bike moments and dumb timed button pressing moments.

For the record these timed sequences are quickly becoming a pet hatred of mine. It was ‘OK’ in Shenmue and Sword of Berserk, but this is ridiculous.

The battles were also terrible. I kept falling off ledges when jumping around, and it was stupid how you could just randomly run up to a bloke and do that slow motion thing. This is Tomb Raider Crystal Dynamics! Not some dumb action game. I paid for Tomb Raider, and I want Tomb Raider!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Tomb Raider: Legend .

I got bored with it, pure and simple. Lady Croft needs to retire.
Agreed. Or at least give the franchise to someone who knows what they’re doing.

Blade Runner PC Like the film – amazing visuals, terrible acting and story. Finally And Then There Were None. But I just don't even wanna talk about that game.

For the original poster, I understand the milkman was a tiresome level, but I can’t understand the comment about the controls. Was it that there were too many buttons to press (due to the various psychic powers)?

Quote:

Psychonauts is a fine game, but the PS2 version I understand is a less than adequate port. I suspect you might enjoy it more if you try another platform - the PC version is excellent.
Agreed. I have the PS2 and PC versions, and the PS2 did feel a little awkward mainly to the drop in framerate. I played both with a PS2 pad too.

Quote:

Most recently, I tried playing Silent Hill.
Is this the PSX one we’re talking about or the latest PSP ‘Origins’? Indeed, if you’d like the best of Silent Hill, 2 & 3 are the way to go. 2 has some dodgy camera angles but the best story, 3 has the best production values, controls and camera but slightly weaker story (as it leads on from SH1).

Quote:

Star Ocean 3 (PS2)
It started out good with nice graphics, music and story. Two epic worlds opened up before me.
I gave up on that too. It was an amazing world, and the characters were quite likeable, but the story was kinda droning. It suffers from ‘Japanese-RPG-trying-to-be-more-epic-than-any-other-but-ends-up-being-really-Clichéd syndrome.

I’ve all but given up on Japanese RPGs now. Accept really outrageously different ones like Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. My loathing for the repetition in JRPGs is my reason for turning to adventure games in the first place.

peb 12-30-2007 08:40 AM

Oh man, where to begin.

I ordered Another World on the recommendation of those Idle Thumbs characters. Maybe I shouldn't have considering my poor platforming skills because I couldn't get past the cave section even with a walkthrough. I like it fine but I'm just not that coordinated enough to get past it, especially using the keyboard.

I've had Giants: Citizen Kabuto installed on my computer for awhile now. But I can't ever seem to motivate myself to get past the first couple missions. It seems to be a fine game but it's not really pulling me in for whatever reason.

For my PS2, I've started Katamari Damacy, Viewtiful Joe and Alien Hominid and not finished any of them. I think this has to do more with my skills as an action gamer (poor) than the quality of the games.

QDream 12-31-2007 02:26 AM

there are dozens of such games, the thing is 90% of them is adventure :D

Lucifiel 01-01-2008 04:12 PM

Monkey Island 3: This is like the 3rd time I've played this game but 'cos I'm completely guitar tone-deaf, I could never get past the music puzzle. Too bad though... it was really fun.

benhubbard 01-01-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucifiel (Post 454501)
Monkey Island 3: This is like the 3rd time I've played this game but 'cos I'm completely guitar tone-deaf, I could never get past the music puzzle. Too bad though... it was really fun.

Just remember which strings he plucks, ie top=1 ... bottom=5
That's how I do it!
MI3 is great keep going :D

MdaG 01-03-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

For the original poster, I understand the milkman was a tiresome level, but I can’t understand the comment about the controls. Was it that there were too many buttons to press (due to the various psychic powers)?
I can't put my fingers on it, but it just didn't feel right. Maybe it's the frame rate and the pixelated graphics I'm really bothered by; dunno. :crazy:

MdaG 01-09-2008 10:42 AM

Metroid Prime 2
Got tired of losing against Emperor Ing. I got to the third and hopefully last part of the battle where he turns into a huge Ing warrior. After playing through both Metroid Prime and its sequel I'm still not comfortable with the controls. He's too fast for me, my aiming can't keep up. Great game though, better than the first in my opinion. Anyway, I viewed the ending on YouTube and shelved the game.

*edit*
OK, so maybe I haven't completely given up on the game, but I doubt I'll pick it up again anytime soon. ;)

*edit*
Ok, so I picked it up anytime soon... and finished it. Sue me :P

maphisto_2000 01-12-2008 04:36 PM

I recently picked up the full set of Myst games again but I'm struggling to get interested in Riven. As soon as i'm stuck without a puzzle to have a go at, I'm bored. I really want to continue because some of the later games are good.

I must admit I buy a lot of games but finish so few of them. I certainly rate games higher if they keep me interested enough to actually play them. Some recent completed ones include Oblivion, Mass Effect (which I'm starting the second playthough) and The Longest Journey Pair.

MdaG 01-13-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maphisto_2000 (Post 455855)
I recently picked up the full set of Myst games again but I'm struggling to get interested in Riven. As soon as i'm stuck without a puzzle to have a go at, I'm bored. I really want to continue because some of the later games are good.

I must admit I buy a lot of games but finish so few of them. I certainly rate games higher if they keep me interested enough to actually play them. Some recent completed ones include Oblivion, Mass Effect (which I'm starting the second playthough) and The Longest Journey Pair.

The thing with Riven is that the puzzles are larger than their location so to say...
It's easy to get lost in the world, wondering what to do. Often that's the time to start observing the world and see the connections.
Riven and Revelation are the only Myst games that I liked. Still I've finished them all, I wasn't too impressed with the others.

Monroeski 01-13-2008 11:21 AM

Probably not going to finish Bioshock. Just couldn't get into it. Very atmospheric at the beginning, now it's just starting to seem like more of the same over and over.

MdaG 01-14-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Probably not going to finish Bioshock. Just couldn't get into it. Very atmospheric at the beginning, now it's just starting to seem like more of the same over and over.
Yeah, after a while it does get repetetive and it doesn't get any better towards the end.

Terramax 01-16-2008 08:53 AM

I'm thinking about giving up on Post Mortem again because I think I've come across a bug I can't get past. Shame, as I really like the story going on here.

MdaG 04-20-2008 02:23 AM

I finally caved in and gave up on Resident Evil - Code Veronica X. I can whole heartedly recommend Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero, but Code Veronica X isn't fun enough given today's standards. This is a game that might have been the pinnacle of survival horror back in 2001, but today? No.

It's marred by:
* bad 3D low resolution graphics
* extremely bad voice acting
* lousy midi sound effects (firing a gun sounds like firing a pea gun)
* Clunky control scheme (which isn't too hard to get used to, but it's still bad)

It's still a "Resident Evil"-game so if you're a fan, you won't be disappointed. It's got all the trade marks, but with a more ambitious story and game design. Still it's not enough to impress me today. Silent Hill 2 which came out the same year is light years ahead of Code Veronica X and is by far the scarier game. It even stands the test of time today. Just as a comparison.

*edit*
I played to the part where Claire has to backtrack through a "moth room" a couple of times. It became too tedious and was the final straw. I've now started with Eternal Darkness instead which is so far living up to the expectations.

Rjupiter 04-20-2008 05:36 AM

I don't know if "give up" is the right word in my case. I mean even if the game is boring and crap I still trod through and finish it, all be it with cheat/walkthrough.

Oh, the only thing I can say that I "gave up on" was Sam & Max. Per reviews I tried it out, started with ep numero uno, and while I finished the ep, barely, I had no desire to go back to the rest of the series.

stepurhan 04-20-2008 09:14 AM

Tomb Raider Chronicles

In the last level you have to run through a bar on the outside of an office building whilst a helicopter shoots at you. Then you turn right, picking up a homicidal android. Then yourun along a long hallway, also on the outside of the office building (and also peppered with gunfire). This hallway also has the added advantage of four gaping holes which you have to jump (very carefully, as the explosions that created them left flames, which can burn you to death) At the end of the hallway you turn right into another corridor, run to the end of that into a room, run out an exit to the left and take two more lefts to find a switch.

This in itself is quite hard to achieve. However, there is an added twist. You can't take the android down with your gun. You have to trap it in that room you passed through near the end. (The switch seals the doors) This means you have to do the whole sequence at such a speed that you reach the switch before it leaves the room. Even using sprinting for the long bit of corridor leading up to this room it was almost always right behind me.

This is ridiculously difficult to achieve. What makes it worse is that it would be almost impossible to do first time anyway since, unless you'd read a walkthrough, you would have no idea time was of the essence.

The Seed 04-20-2008 09:49 AM

I'm thinking I may have to give up on Final Fantasy: Revenant Wings on the DS. The reviews I read seem to describe it as being pretty light both as a Strategy game and an RPG, but unfortunately it turns out I'm completely inept at both genres...I'm only 16% through and already I'm finding it too difficult. I think it's something to do with having to make really quick decisions and not being a good multi-tasker. Shame though because I actually do quite like the game.

ozzie 04-21-2008 10:08 AM

There are two games which I've recently given up on:

Zero Zone - This is (probably) a rare science fiction adventure from Cryo. I needed some time to find it in an english version on eBay.
I'm not sure if it was worth hunting down. For one, I just had to know how this game is since I found no review online.
On the other hand, it's totally crap.
Still, I wanted to play through it, with a walkthrough. Some "puzzles" seemed so insulting to me, the player, that I didn't have the patience to trial-and-error my way through it.

For example, there's one area which you can't access because you need a radiation suit. It can't be found anywhere, though. I should mention that when the game starts you are the owner of a corporation who creates and builds cyber technology. A cyber is mostly an android in standard science fiction or a replicant in Blade Runner.
So, there's a secretary of some kind (her role isn't too clear, but the characters are superficial and are only there to push you further in the plot) and I tried to give her a coffee from an automate.
I should also mention that the interaction with the automate was very buggy. Sometimes the interaction with it looped endlessly, you couldn't stop it. Even reloading a former savegame didn't help. I restarted. Gladly, I was just minutes in the game.

So, I tried to give her the coffee, but she said it was "too early in the morning" for one. Okay, I was surprised that this interaction resulted in a feedback, and thought this was just something optional.
Well, not really. There was some other guy standing stiff like a statue in the room who wanted me to find some secret stuff of my father. Okay. If you have done that, you can give the secretary the coffee, and then she gets the idea that you could explore the company and gives you the radiation suit.
So far I didn't have the feeling that I owned the company...

So, I first have to solve an unrelated puzzle before I can give the coffee to the woman so she gives me something that I need though I had no idea before that she has it. And the relation between coffee and radiation suit isn't very clear either.

Okay, that was a bad puzzle. There are some slightly more clever ones later on, but this is mostly a very bland game. You click yourself from one generic, shiny metal room to the next and solve some puzzles to get items you have no use for yet. Oh, and if you have done that you get the possibility to meet the other, seemingly corrupt owner of the company. Huzzah for those unrelated progression triggers!!
The story stumbles along and is just an excuse so that the player drags himself through all the static screens and solves some stupid puzzles.
But there is an slightly interesting and, in my opinion, surprisingly well written story, but not inside the game. In some places you have access to the so-called GalaxyNet which should be the internet of the future. The concept looks more like an intranet though since you can read various personal stuff there, like look up the e-mails and photos of your father or the history of the company and info about its employees.
But the weird bit is that everytime you start it an all-new application starts! Zero Zone gets minimized and and GalaxyNet starts up. Which, of course, pulls you totally out of the game, if you were ever actually immersed before.
So, here you find information, character portraits and backstory.
But it's not an integral part, merely an optional component. There was only a hint for a puzzle in there which was important.
So, forget it.

To come to an end: Why did I give up? I came so far, endured the incredible dullness and fighted (well, more cheated) against dumb puzzles.
I wouldn't give up so easily then, would I? No, I wouldn't.
But a bug stopped me.
It's unbelievable that it made it into the final release since it pops up everytime I try this scene.
At one point you're in a kid's room. There's a stuffed snake on the bed. I try to take the head of it (which I have to do according to two walkthroughs). The graphic goes away, but I don't have it in my inventory then. It's just...gone! Which hinders me from playing further. Thanks a lot!

Ironically, I bought this game under the CryoCollection label and the game version was 1.8.....
I ask myself how buggy the initial version was....
If anyone can help me with this problem, please do!!

The other game, Lionheart, simply bored me.
The game lacks depth, is full of fetch quests and features glorious repetitive combat! Yippey!