You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing and given up on.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
Master of time and space

Star Ocean 3 & Dragon Quest 8 (PS2)
It started out good with nice graphics, music and story. Two epic worlds opened up before me. But both games slapped me in the face with their repetetive combat. Star Ocean with its real time and Dragon Quest with its turn based. Other RPGs like Torment, Baldur's Gate, Oblivion, KOTOR and to some extent Fallout had exciting battles, but I've yet seen a JRPG with it. This is bothersome since this is stopping me from enjoying all those glorious adventures (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata etc. ). Anyway these were two more games I sold off on auction sites. *sigh* Now I've learned JRPG's just aren't my cup of tea. Well they would be if the combat system suited me better.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #22
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endow View Post
You gotta be kiddin me! Sotc is a puzzle/adventure game it's not meant to be action packed. And part of the fun is discovering the colossus and admiring the scenery. In that sense I loved it because you actually go thru most of what the character would have to go true in such an enterprise.
No... truly boring as hell. There really are no puzzles in the game except for finding out how to knock down a colossus and where to hit them and, I've never had a camera system annoy me to no end the way it did in this game. That, and things like if I'm on the hunt for the next colossi and I come across a cave entrance in a mountain I want to explore it but then I realize... why bother? There is nothing down there anyway and I'm not going down there just to look at the scenery, so that detracts from the adventuring part.

But it is one of the few games that I've found that I've just couldn't play and hit the eject button instead.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #23

Well, you're missing the point of the game. It's clearly not your cup of tea, and I know others for whom it also simply doesn't do anything, which is much the pity but ultimately their loss as it does nothing to diminish what is a masterpiece of understated interactive storytelling.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #24
Master of time and space

I just recalled another one. Schizm had all that I wanted of a puzzle adventure (I think), but when I couldn't activate subtitles or review cutscenes such that I wouldn't miss vital clues; so the game got too hard for me. I didn't understand what I needed to do and where to go. I got as far as reaching the destination with the airship and flying off with the city (!?). So I reached the second part with both characters before quitting. It's a shame, the game had atmosphere and it's the closest thing I've played to Riven and Revelation. It just got too difficult for me without the built in hints.

Last edited by MdaG; 12-08-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #25

Missing: the 13th victim.

Evidently, it started to get really challenging but when I realised that there might be even more "mini-games" awaiting me as in Missing: Since January, I decided to quit it. In Missing: Since January, the designers seemed to be rather inspired by console games but they forgot that you can't duplicate the feel of such controls on a pc. A pity though, 13th Victim still had an interesting concept.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 AM   #26
merely human

Tomb Raider: Legend .

I got bored with it, pure and simple. Lady Croft needs to retire.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #27
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

You did not just go there, girlfiend!

It can be finished in 6 hours, its hardly boring, its got quite a brisk pace. What level ar you at?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #28
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I'll have to go with Oblivion.
I bought a brand new rig just for this game, the first week I had my jaw on the ground... but after I got used to the visuals... there wasn't really anything interesting to do besides "runnin' around, killing things".
Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #29
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
I'll have to go with Oblivion.
I bought a brand new rig just for this game, the first week I had my jaw on the ground... but after I got used to the visuals... there wasn't really anything interesting to do besides "runnin' around, killing things".
Even though I finished Oblivion and had fun with it, it felt empty after the main quests and guild quests were over and done with. So to a degree I'll have to agree with you.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #30
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

There is a new star in town anyway.

Uncharted : Drakes Fortune is kicking Lara's ass in terms of fun imo.

Last edited by stepurhan; 12-13-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Fixed text reading as smiley.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #31
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
You did not just go there, girlfiend!
Sorry, love, I'm immune to that gayspeak fanboy 'tude.

Quote:
It can be finished in 6 hours, its hardly boring, its got quite a brisk pace. What level ar you at?
I'm bored with it! Bored! So it doesn't matter if I can finish it in 6 hours or 6 weeks. That's not the point. *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

I've read very good things about it, though I don't care if it kicks Lara or whoever else's ass. But I don't own a PS3 so I can't be interested as much.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by stepurhan; 12-13-2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Fixing quote from Lucien21 as per his post
Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 AM   #32
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

Dude Raider is awesome I started playing it and finished it in 2 days. Very addicting and fun. Probably the best PS3 game I have played so far this year.

Firefox rules

Last edited by stepurhan; 12-13-2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Fixing quote from Lucien21 as per his post
Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #33
JKR

I'm trying to get myself to finish Syberia... Really, really trying... I just don't know. The environments are gorgeous yet completely void of interaction. I don't think I'll finish.

I gave up on Tony Hawk Project 8 a while back, but yesterday popped it in and played until 1:30AM. So I'm going to finish that now, but didn't think I would.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #34
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Another one I gave up on was Shivers. It was alright, I thought it had decent graphics for the time, atmospheric music, good and sometimes frustrating puzzles. But it was the cartoon ghosts and one-item-at-a-time inventory system that brings you out of the game.

Trying to find two pieces for every urn. Then, making sure you're holding the right urn by the sound the ghost makes before you investigate it so you can trap the ghost instead of having it zap your energy.

After a few tries I gave up and didn't go back for a while. When I did try it again I had a new computer and the game would no longer run.

Gave up on The Bard's Tale for the C64. Besides the game just being too random and having wrap-around mazes, I couldn't take waiting 5 minutes for every battle to load. Especially when random battles pop up every 2 minutes or so.

Stopped playing Dragon Wars for the PC. It was a good game with an interesting enough story. One of the few ancient 3D RPGs with an automap feature. But the difficulty, to me, ramped up way too quickly. You think your party is tough so you try a new area but instead you're killed in the first round of your first encounter.

Wizardry Gold for the PC. Just, never finished it. I think I got annoyed with the voices and how the scrolling text to match it never stopped. The game, from what I remember, was alright but nothing overly interesting.

Ulitima Underworld for the PC. I managed to make it all the way down to the very bottom of the abyss, unlocked the door to fight the final demon but I realized I couldn't kill him no matter what I did. I finally gave up and read a walkthrough and discovered I was missing a piece to some weapon or... something that I needed for the last fight. When I read what I missed I just said "I am not going all the way back up there and going through all that" and just quit.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #35

Claw for the PC, it's one of the most brutal platformers I've played. got up to 13/14 levels and Extra Lives are few and far and absolutely suicidal to get to beyond lv 12.
Doom: The Roguelike and Nethack. They're rogue games, so the difficulty is high, and it takes a true amount of skill to beat them. A shame my skill isn't up to par.
Soul Calibur II, Metroid Prime, a Franchise in Madden 2005 and NHL 2004 all because of my busted GC.

Last edited by Marrow; 12-17-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Syberia... the environments are gorgeous yet completely void of interaction...
Don't even try Paradise then. I gave up after the fist scenes. Gorgeous, but too many pointless puzzles. I did finish the two Syberias, though, and enjoyed parts of them.

I am about to give up Gothic. It's probably not the game's fault, but the RPG concepts of some "quests" most people would call errands. It's like: oh, this guy is dying, now get 5 herbs from the deadly marshes so we may heal him and make the plot advance, like, five minutes.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #37
Master of time and space

I gave up on Journey to the center of the earth after just 60 min. I've finished Syberia 1 & 2, Moment of Silence, Black Mirror and The longest journey and liked them all, but this game wouldn't even give me complete control over the main character. I felt like I was fighting the interface all the time and got too bored to bother in the end.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #38

A few months back , i finally played persona 1 for PS1 after never really playing it after i bought it years ago. I gave it up after playing it after a while though after the countless mazes , numerous random encounters and lack of save point. It's just not worth it , i can spend over 1 hour in the maze without getting to a saveroom/savepoint and it's just simply not rewarding enough to keep fighting monsters every few steps you take. It's just annoying.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 AM   #39
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

After the Icewind Dale 2 NPC pack came out, I decided to finally play IWD 2 again. Only later did I remember I had previously given up on that game, since the part in the magma chamber was just too bugged. But I had an advantage over the last time I played it almost four years ago: I knew how to use the Infinity Explorer, and how to manually set off triggers and adjust variables. So I looked for the variables that looked right in IE, and triggered them manually in game. It was a bit of trial and error, but it worked. I'm going to play it again once Version 2 of IWD 2 NPC pack is released.

*scratches IWD 2 from her list of games she has given up on*

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
A few months back , i finally played persona 1 for PS1 after never really playing it after i bought it years ago. I gave it up after playing it after a while though after the countless mazes , numerous random encounters and lack of save point. It's just not worth it , i can spend over 1 hour in the maze without getting to a saveroom/savepoint and it's just simply not rewarding enough to keep fighting monsters every few steps you take. It's just annoying.
Hehe, you sound just like me when it comes to JRPGs
See my earlier post about Dragon Quest 8 and Star Ocean 3.
Great stories and graphics, but boooooring combat.